PDA

View Full Version : Improvised Weapon Proficency?

Nolfar
2006-02-08, 04:12 PM
Would it be broken to make a feat that allowed you to use improvised weapons (either collectively or taken one at a time) into a feat? I know that there used to be a class that did it after a couple of levels (Weapon Master to be percise).

Anyway, I was thinking about trying to make that for a character I'm building 'cause he makes all sorts of odd things as weapons and it sucks that I have to suck up a -4 to use them.

tgva8889
2006-02-08, 04:26 PM
I also think that this would be cool.

Improvised Weapon Proficiency [General]
Requirements: Base Attack Bonus +some amount
You gain proficiency with using random items as a weapon effectively. You do not get the normal -4 non-proficiency bonus when using improvised weapons that relate to weapons that you normally have proficiency in. For example, a table leg is like a club, so with this feat, as long as you had proficiency with a club, you would have proficiency with an improvised club.

This seem alright?

Harnryd
2006-02-08, 04:32 PM
I use this feat in my campaigns: http://www.xena.nu/feats35.html#WEAPON%20IMPROVISATION

Soniku
2006-02-08, 04:33 PM
heh, although it would be a little cheap at low levels by letting you use random things as weapons you would usualy have to pay for it will quickly become less useful when your weapons start being masterwork or magic because "hey, look, my masterwork +3 floorboard!" just doesnt quite work

Spuddly
2006-02-08, 05:06 PM
Was it 2.0 that had the weapon proficiency system of 0-4? There was an 'improvised weapon' proficiency you could put points in, I remember.

Jeramiahh
2006-02-08, 05:11 PM
Near the end of a fiairly long campaign of mine, the almost-epic level fighter ran out of ideas for where to put his feats, so, since the party's halfling rogue was his RL little brother, he asked for proficency in Throwing Halfling. Actually ended up killing the BBEG with a critical from thowing the heavily armed midgit...

Fhaolan
2006-02-08, 05:24 PM
This one's come up before. Took me awhile to find it, though:

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1131602507 ;start=

Nolfar
2006-02-08, 06:28 PM
Thanks, and insofar as the feat itself goes, I think I'll steal from teh retired Weapon Master PrC.

Improvised Weapon Proficiency [General]
Requirements: Base Attack Bonus +1, Exotic Weapon Proficency in at least three weapons
You gain proficiency with using random items as a weapon effectively. You do not get the normal -4 non-proficiency bonus when using improvised weapons that relate to weapons that you normally have proficiency in. For example, a table leg is like a club, so with this feat, as long as you had proficiency with a club, you would have proficiency with an improvised club.
Normal: Improvised weapons take a -4 non-proficency penalty
Special: A fighter may take this as a bonus feat

Ugly_Panda
2006-02-08, 07:40 PM
Drunken masters from Sword and Fist have something like that.

Improvised Weapons: You can use furniture, farm implements, or nearly anything else at hand to attack your foes. Anything from a ladder to a haunch of meat to a barstool is a weapon once you imbue it with your ki using this ability. Regardless of the exact item, the weapon does 1d6 points of damage at your more advantageous number of attacks per round. Most items do bludgeoning damage, although shish-kabob skewers, for example, would do piercing damage. Long items (such as ladders) have reach according to their length, and items with many protrusions (such as chairs) give you a +2 bonus on Disarm attempts. Finally, large items with broad, flat surfaces (such as tables) can be upended to become improvised tower shields.

Bottle Proficiency: You can use bottles and large tankards as weapons using your unarmed base attack bonus, including your more favorable number of attacks per round. Bottles do 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage with their first blow, then 1d4 points of slashing damage thereafter. Tankards do 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage. Furthermore, you can make these attacks without spilling most of the liquid inside.

Nolfar
2006-02-08, 07:48 PM
Yeah, the Weapon Master was from Sword and Fist too, IIRC. I haven't seen anything besides the Drunken Master in CW have much in line with such powers though sence.

Ugly_Panda
2006-02-08, 07:51 PM
Mostly because there is no point to it other than being funny. Maybe improvished weapons should add to feint checks since nobody believes you could really hurt anyone with a footstool.

TimeWizard
2006-02-08, 07:57 PM
I'd tone down the pre-reqs on the feat. Three exotic weapons? that's a bit harsh. I'd say a BAB of 5 and Martial Weapons Proficiency.

Plaus, it's reallly funny. Imagine a bar fight with one guy using a chair and tables, bootles and serving trays like a master in one of those cheap kungfu movies.

Huzzah!

Nolfar
2006-02-08, 08:01 PM
That sounds like a cool second feat.

Improvised Feignt [General]
Prereqs: Improvised Weapon Proficency, Improved Feignt, bluff eight ranks
Benefit: When making a feign maneuver with an improvised weapon, you gain a +4 circumstance bonus.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-02-08, 08:06 PM
I know a lot of people have given Improvised Weapon Proficiency to the variant Urban Ranger class (from Unearthed Arcana) to reflect their tendency to get into bar fights.

Wih
2006-02-08, 08:21 PM
Remember, there are two ways to do Improvised Weapons.
If you look in the weapons section of the PHB, it'll give damage for different sized objects. You can use those tables (IE, you pick up a Medium sized object and start throwing it around), or you can use an improvised [weapon] (IE, you pick up a chair leg, use it as a light mace - if you have the proficiency).

Remember that improvised weapons tend to break easily (Can't remember where the exact rules of that was from...) and chances are if you're improvising a specific weapon, you'll need to have the proficiency for it, and it'll still be not quite as good (-1 to all damage rolls?).

If you're looking for a pre-made feat for this, I believe there's one in Ultimate Feats (though it is 3rd party)...

Just my two cp.

Fhaolan
2006-02-08, 08:47 PM
Improvised Defence: You can use tables, chairs, ladders, rakes, or whatever non-weapons that come to hand to parry, confuse, and hinder your opponents, all in a stylish 'I'm just that cool' way. This takes a full-round action, and all opponents within melee range of you take a -2 to hit penalty, and have their movement rate halved. These maneuvers are not attacks, and they do no damage.

Requirements: Dex 15+, Dodge

You could always throw in 'Improvised Weapons' feat as a pre-req. :)