PDA

View Full Version : The Forgotten Forge (IC)

Worira
2009-06-26, 11:52 PM
Curtains of water fall from the sky as you traverse the labyrinthine walkways of Sharn. The stone and wooden paths wind around and between the towers and spires high above the ground, forming a complex latticework that can be very confusing on evenings such as this. The rain falls hard, running off higher walkways and balconies in drenching wave, making it difficult to see much more than a few feet ahead of you. The distant glow of everbright lanterns, barely visible in the soaking gloom, does little to light the paths on this warm, wet evening.

mr. Tentacles
2009-06-27, 04:35 AM
Naetil Isillin - Valenar elf ranger

A hooded form can be spotted moving through the rain, walking slowly with his head down. Where his cloak doesn't cover him completely you can see bits of drenched Valenar silk, but the man doesn't seem to care about getting wet.

Naetil is wandering through Sharn, looking for a good place to take shelter for the night. He used to love the rain, but even for one used to arid fields of dust it was losing it's novelty. He stops at the railing, sighs and looks down. I can't go on like this, there is no honour in protecting foolish merchants and aristocrats. He utters an elven curse. What do you want me to do, damnit, why won't you give me a sign?

Sallera
2009-06-27, 06:24 PM
Lyth d'Sivis

Lyth wanders slowly through Sharn, enjoying the evening's weather. A bright red blotch against the grey of the city, she appears to be soaked through, but shows no sign of noticing - at least, not until she rounds a corner and stumbles into a half-foot deep puddle of muddy water with a muffled curse. Extricating herself from the hole, she looks up, finally noticing the elf she'd just splattered with dirt.

"Sorry, sorry..." she mutters, twitching her fingers and prestidigitating the mud away. Pausing for a moment, she realizes he isn't even looking at her, instead staring down into the city. With another gesture, four glowing purple orbs descend from the sky, bobbing around his head. "Weather's too nice to be moping around, you know."

mr. Tentacles
2009-06-27, 09:04 PM
Naetil

Naetil looks up, then down, before seeing the gnome that almost bumped into him. For a fraction of a second his face shows a wry smile at the last comment, before he looks away again. He doesn't say anything for a couple of seconds but when he looks back down again and finds the gnome is still there he opens his mouth. "Weather's got nothing to do with it, but I wouldn't expect anyone from here to understand." With that he looks away again, clearly not a man of many words.

Sallera
2009-06-27, 09:45 PM
Lyth

The dancing lights retreat, spreading out around Lyth and bathing the surrounding area in a rather silly-looking shade of purple. "Well, I'm not from here, actually." One of the orbs floats in front of her, and she flicks it towards the elf's head, where it resumes bobbing in circles. "From Zilargo, originally, just arrived here a few days ago, " - flick - "but I haven't met many Valenar," - flick - "so you may be entirely correct about not understanding." The final orb darts toward her, and floats just above her left shoulder as she waits for the elf to respond.

mr. Tentacles
2009-06-28, 08:09 AM
Naetil

She isn't going away... The elf sighs and turns back to the gnome yet again. "Let me just say I can't return to where I belong and I'm having trouble to find a way to do something about it. And no, there isn't anything you can do about it, it, it's complicated."

OOC:
Moody elf, nothing personal :smalltongue: Also, where are the others?

Simba
2009-06-29, 01:06 AM
Haruuna

A tall figure in a dark hooded cloak walks the rainy streets tall and proud, head held high. As the figure rounds a corner it comes to a sudden halt, right behind a smallish person illuminated by dancing lights.

"Is it your habit to stop right where people might step on you?" a deep, resonant voice can be heard from under the hood. "I would rather not trample you, you know?"

As the person in the hood talks, a rather bestial face can partially be seen in the light og the dancing globes.

Sallera
2009-06-29, 01:30 AM
Lyth

Two of the orbs swiftly move to encircle the newcomer as the gnome turns. "Ah, my apologies. I was conversing with the elf." She moves to the railing, leaning back against it and gesturing to the ground in front of her. "Mind the puddle, incidentally."

Simba
2009-06-29, 01:59 AM
"Let me just say I can't return to where I belong and I'm having trouble to find a way to do something about it. And no, there isn't anything you can do about it, it, it's complicated."

"What you say sounds familiar, like being caught between honor and duty."
The figure in the hooded cloak steps around the puddle. Now her Hobgoblin face can be seen as she smiles at the Valanar elf. "So vastly different and yet so much alike in some aspects..." she adds quietly, talking to her self.

mr. Tentacles
2009-06-29, 02:14 AM
Naetil

Naetil gives the newcomer an annoyed look. Another one? "I'm not stuck between duty and honour, my duty is my honour." The elf sighs again and straightens his back. "Well, since I do seem to be stuck with you, I'm Naetil Isillin."

Simba
2009-06-29, 02:36 AM
Haruuna

"I am honored to meet you. My name is Haruuna Dhacuul."

Dersess
2009-06-29, 03:03 PM
Aegis (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6631)

A hulking figure sits on a bench only a few feet away from where the others have gathered, although his presence is easily dismissible, looking more of a statue than a living being. However, a dog-eared copy of the Sharn Inquisitive rests in his hands, the ink beginning to run down the pages. The figure clears his throat, which sounds more like metal scraping against metal than the expulsion of air from the windpipe.

"Pardon...I hate to be a bother, but I'm trying to read. Would you all do me a quick favor and move slightly out of my light?"

He stretches out a metallic digit and motions towards the lamppost just across the way.

mr. Tentacles
2009-06-29, 04:39 PM
Naetil

Naetil glowers at the warforged, even though he's thankful of it interrupting the conversation he was ending up in, and takes a small step to the side, turning away from the gnome and Dhakaani in the process and resuming looking out over the depths below.

OOC:
I think we're ready to go then, give us your best hook :smalltongue:

Worira
2009-06-29, 05:58 PM
Suddenly, from a short distance down the street, you hear a man's voice shouting for help. As you listen, the shouts become a cry of pain which is cut short, leaving only the sound of rain pattering on the cobblestones.

Sallera
2009-06-29, 09:21 PM
Lyth

The purple orbs wink out, and Lyth lays her hand on the hilt of Haruuna's sword, which swiftly begins glowing with a steady light. "That didn't sound very friendly. Care to take a look?"

mr. Tentacles
2009-06-30, 02:53 AM
Naetil

Naetil looks up at the sound of the cries, his hand immediately on his blade. This... this could be it. He turns to the others. "Sounds like someone needs help, follow me." With that he quickly moves towards the origin of the sound while trying to hide in the rain at the edge of the street, ready to draw his blade at the first sign of trouble.

Rolls:
Hide: [roll0]

Simba
2009-06-30, 07:38 AM
Haruuna

Haruuna does not hesitate at all but runs after the Elf, blade in hand. She does not even try to hide, but moves with the inborn stealth of her race.

Dersess
2009-06-30, 10:20 AM
Aegis

The monolith of flesh and mithral arises, tucking the sopping newspaper into one of the pockets of his cloak. Pulling an ornate blade from its scabbard and a simple, worn metal shield from his back, the warforged tromps along after the others, preparing himself for possible confrontation.

Worira
2009-06-30, 11:48 AM
You spot a figure in a dark cloak moving quietly through the rain on the skybridge ahead. It seems to be avoiding the dim pools of light cast by the everbright lanterns, preferring to stay in the shadows. Lightning flashes, and you see a shape on the stone floor of the bridge in the brief illumination. the figure quickly reaches the railing of the skybridge, then slips over the barrier and disappears into the darkness and the rain.

mr. Tentacles
2009-06-30, 12:21 PM
Naetil

When he sees the cloaked figure Naetil draws his blade and cries out while running forward. "Halt!" When the figure doesn't stop Naetil rushes towards the edge of the bridge and looks down to see where he went.

Simba
2009-06-30, 12:29 PM
Haruuna

Haruuna runs to the railing and looks down, a dagger in hand, ready for throwing.

Sallera
2009-06-30, 12:43 PM
Lyth

Lyth curses softly as the cloaked figure vanishes from sight, and moves to examine the one on the floor, leaving the pursuit to the others.

I presume that whoever this is, they're quite dead; if not, Lyth will cast Lesser Vigor. Elsewise, Knowledge (Local) ([roll0]) to see if there's anything recognizable about the dead one.

Worira
2009-07-01, 02:18 PM
Haruuna & Naetil:
By the time you reach the railing, the cloaked figure is nowhere to be seen.

Lyth:
You recognize the corpse immediately from your work at Morgrave University. It's Bonal Geldem, the elderly Dean of Pre-Galifar Studies. He seems to have succumbed to several wounds from some sort of bladed weapon, and his hand clutches a leather satchel tightly.

Map:http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn99/worira/TFFbridge.jpg
You came in through point A, and are now standing near the body.

mr. Tentacles
2009-07-01, 02:28 PM
Naetil

"Damnit, did he jump down?" Naetil lowers his blade and looks around some more, then turns to Lyth. "How's he doing?"

Sallera
2009-07-01, 03:47 PM
Lyth

"Gone, I'm afraid." Lyth peers at the body curiously. "He was one of the Deans at Morgrave. Pre-Galifar Studies, as I recall. Odd target for an assassination. He also seems to be quite intent on hanging onto this satchel, here..." She attempts to pry it out of his fingers, then takes a look inside.

Search, if necessary: [roll0]
Appropriate Knowledge, if necessary (all my Knowledge mods are +4 or +5): [roll1]

mr. Tentacles
2009-07-01, 04:28 PM
Naetil

"Hrm, doesn't need us anymore then, does he?" Naetil begins to look around for anyone that might have seen the assassin.

Simba
2009-07-02, 12:52 AM
Haruuna

"Who would kill a university dean? Strange...but interesting. Should we call the watch?"

Dersess
2009-07-02, 01:12 AM
Aegis

"That would seem like the best course of action, seeing as our prime suspect has departed the scene. Especially for someone so esteemed as a Dean.

Have you found anything interesting in the poor man's satchel?"

mr. Tentacles
2009-07-02, 03:20 AM
Naetil

"You go get the watch, if you really want to, but don't expect me to come. We're the only ones on the scene, we're all carrying weapons, we're even checking what his satchel contains. I can tell you from experience that they don't take kindly to these kinds of situations. I say we disappear, find a dry place and see what he was carrying."

Dersess
2009-07-02, 10:22 AM
Aegis

"While there is some value in what you say, if we are discovered holding a dead man's satchel, going through its contents, we would see all the more culpable. Were I in the Watch, I would find it highly unlikely for four murderers to alert me of a murder when they could be spending the time getting as far away from it as possible."

Worira
2009-07-02, 01:25 PM
Your conversation is interrupted when Aegis hears the sound of someone climbing the railing behind him. Before the others can react, the cloaked figure vaults over the railing, back onto the skybridge.

Surprise round. Aegis wins init, others don't act.

Simba
2009-07-03, 12:53 AM
"I somehow thought he would not flee without his price!"

Dersess
2009-07-04, 03:29 PM
Aegis

Aegis points his weapon at the cloaked figure, and lets loose a bellowing command.

"You there! Stop at once!"

Worira
2009-07-04, 06:01 PM
The cloaked figure ignores Aegis' demand and continues to charge, axe in hand.

Simba
2009-07-05, 12:39 AM
The cloaked figure ignores Aegis' demand and continues to charge, axe in hand.

Charge whom?

Wiz
2009-07-07, 08:08 PM
Soranda

As the cloaked figure charges across the slippery, rain-swept bridge in the dim and shadowy light, Soranda readies her mace, but suddenly raises her other hand high and invokes a bright light. In the moment of sudden distraction she'll swing her mace low, not aiming to hit so much as to trip.

ooc: If I can, I'd like to force a balance check with possibly a higher than average DC.

Simba
2009-07-08, 01:32 AM
Haruuna

Haruuna runns to intercept the charge, trying to get in front of the attacker.

Worira
2009-07-09, 12:58 AM
Before Lyth can turn fully towards the figure, it slashes deep into her side with a powerful stroke from it's axe.

7 damage.

mr. Tentacles
2009-07-09, 04:34 AM
Naetil

Seeing the figure charging from out of the rain Naetil regrips his sword and moves to protect the little gnome. With a couple of flowing slashes he hopes to drive off her assailant. "Get behind me!"

Rolls and OOC:
Actions:
Move towards cloaked figure (move)
Attack cloaked figure with falchion (standard)
Talk (free)

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Possible crit (threat 18-20): [roll2]
Possible crit damage: [roll3]

Wiz
2009-07-10, 11:06 AM
Soranda

Soranda holds up her light and swings at the assailant with her mace.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]
Critical Resolution: [roll2]
Critical Damage: [roll3]

Simba
2009-07-15, 01:13 AM
Haruuna lifts her sword high, going for a massive chop from above but opening herself up to counterattacks in the process.

Punishing Stance:
attack:[roll0]
damage:[roll1] + [roll2]

Worira
2009-07-15, 02:43 AM
Naetil's blade cuts a large gash into the figure's chest, causing the figure to stagger back slightly, bellowing in rage and pain. Soranda's mace strikes a glancing blow to the figure's back, but bounces off with the sound of metal striking metal. Finally, Haruuna delivers a powerful cut to the figure's neck. The figure collapses in a heap.

In the distance, you hear the shrill blare of a City Watch whistle.

Simba
2009-07-15, 02:56 AM
Haruuna

Haruuna cleans her sword on the dead guy's clothes and resheathes it.
"So what do we do now? The Watch will be here soon, do we want to talk to them? They might misunderstand the situation...."

mr. Tentacles
2009-07-15, 05:40 AM
Naetil

Naetil shakes his sword clean and puts it away. "Let's see who this guy is first, and what's in that satchel?" The elf bends down and removes the figure's hood.

Wiz
2009-07-15, 08:05 AM
Soranda ignores the assailant and the satchel for now, and checks Lyth to see if she is all right.

Sallera
2009-07-15, 09:42 AM
Lyth

Muttering darkly, Lyth touches a hand to her wound, returning to her search of the satchel as the cut begins to close. "What kind of idiot comes back to a murder scene and attacks four armed people? Must be something very interesting in here..."

Worira
2009-07-15, 09:48 AM
Pulling back the figure's hood, Naetil sees a warforged face.

Inside the satchel, Lyth finds several quills and sealed bottles of ink, six blank sheets of fine paper, a wrapped apple, and a small, ornately-bound book.

Wiz
2009-07-15, 10:00 AM
Soranda looks at what Lyth has found, "We should either leave now, or wait for the investigators and give them the details of what we've seen. We all know we're innocent, so I'd suggest the latter. Unless anyone else thinks they'd do better, I'll talk with the investigators."

Sallera
2009-07-15, 10:11 AM
Lyth

After a quick examination, Lyth buries the book in her pack and returns the satchel to the corpse. "May as well. No sense in drawing suspicion to ourselves by running." She starts flicking the bloodstains off her clothes, each one vanishing as she touches it.

Worira
2009-07-15, 01:22 PM
Lyth and Soranda:
This small journal, measuring about 3 inches by 6 inches and 1 inch thick, has a cover of dark brown leather with strands of mithral thread woven in a strange pattern. It bears no title, just the mithral-thread icon on the front cover. Lyth recognizes the symbol as an earlier version of the House Cannith seal, showing a stylized anvil and hammer inside a circle. Inside, every page is blank, but the sheets have a strange feel; they don't seem to be paper or leather, but something not readily identifiable.

Two males and a female, wearing the green-and-black studded leather armour of Sharn's City Watch, emerge from the rain-drenched night. The leader, a powerfully built bald dwarf with a close-cropped beard, steps forward, leveling his crossbow in your direction. A small ball of arcane light, hovering just above and behind his left shoulder, illuminates the area. To each side, a human male and female stand with halberds at the ready.

"Olladra's bloody nose!" the dwarf curses. "By order of the Watch, drop your weapons and explain yourselves!"

Sallera
2009-07-15, 01:34 PM
Lyth

Lyth raises a hand in greeting as the Watch approaches. "Ah, good, you've finally arrived. It seems that this warforged, here, murdered the poor Dean. He ran off as we approached, then snuck back a few minutes later and attacked me. We're not sure why he returned, but my companions defended me, and the unfortunate seems to have joined his victim."

She steps back away from the bodies and waits quietly, removing the last few stains from her tunic.

Wiz
2009-07-15, 01:40 PM
Soranda drops her mace, extinguishes her own light and holds her hands up, "Greetings Officers, I am Soranda Smyth d'Cannith. I and these chance companions having heard a scuffle on the bridge came upon this man, slumped on the ground and a cloaked figure apparently leaping off the side of the bridge. While checking the downed man for signs of life, the cloaked figure returned and attacked us, seeming to be this warforged who we slew in defending ourselves." She tries to speak clearly and succinctly to the watch officers.

If a diplomacy roll is required, Diplomacy: [roll0]

Simba
2009-07-16, 01:06 AM
Haruuna

Haruuna puts her weapons down, one after the other, slowly and carefully. She nods as the others tell their tales.

mr. Tentacles
2009-07-16, 12:11 PM
Naetil

Naetil leaves his sword on his back, but makes sure to clearly show that his hands are empty. He too nods to what the others are saying.

Worira
2009-07-17, 08:28 PM
The dwarf scowls. "Oh, really? That's awfully convenient for you," he says. "How do I know you didn't kill this man, and strike down the warforged who came to his aid? You really expect me to believe someone attacked four armed people, when he could have gotten away clean?"

Just then, a tiny, wrinkled old halfling woman comes hobbling over from the direction of Kelsa Spire, wrapped in a thick oilskin overcoat. In a timid voice, she asks "Excuse me, officer?".
The dwarf turns his head towards her, still keeping his crossbow aimed in your direction. "Yes, what is it?," he growls. "I'm in the middle of an investigation here."
"Well, it's just that I thought I ought to say that I was knitting a pair of warm socks for my grandson - you see, he's going to be apprenticed to a chef in Fairhaven. That's up in Aundair, you see, and the winters there-"
"Why should this concern me?", the watchman interrupts.
"Well," continues the old woman, "I was up knitting these socks, and I heard a cry for help from the street. When I went to the window and looked down, I saw this warforged striking down this man. The warforged jumped over the railing when these young people came running in to help, then climbed back up a moment later and attacked them."

After talking to the old woman for a bit, the dwarf turns back to you. "Well, it looks like you really were trying to help. This is the sort of thing you ought to leave to the watch, though. In any case, you're free to go."

Sallera
2009-07-17, 09:18 PM
Lyth

Lyth nods to the officer. "Aye, perhaps that's so. It's just a little difficult to ignore a cry for help when it's so close." She turns to the others. "Shall we leave the Watch to their work? As I recall, there's a decent inn around the corner there where we could go to dry off."

mr. Tentacles
2009-07-17, 10:01 PM
Naetil

Naetil scowls at the watchmen and nods to the gnome. "Yes, yes. Let's get inside, see what this was all about."

Wiz
2009-07-18, 12:05 AM
Soranda nods, "Yes... let's get inside and warm."

Sallera
2009-07-18, 06:23 PM
Lyth

Lyth leads the group to a small inn, ordering a jug of mulled wine before retreating to a table where they can speak freely. Once everyone is settled, she pulls out the blank journal and lays it open on the table.

"That warforged wouldn't have come back if he didn't want something, and this was the only unusual thing in the bag. It must contain something of interest, even if we can't see it..." She falls silent, gazing at the page intently.

Casting Detect Magic.
Spellcraft: [roll0]
If that's not enlightening, Knowledge (Arcana) to see if Lyth knows of other means that could conceal writing: [roll1]

Worira
2009-07-19, 03:57 PM
The book radiates a strong aura of magic, although it doesn't seem to belong to any particular school.

When the serving woman returns with your jug of wine, she brings with it a slip of paper. "A man asked me to bring you this," she says.

On the paper is written: "If you would know the truth of Bonal Geldem's murder, go to the Broken Anvil tavern at dawn." The paper is stamped with the seal of House Cannith.

Wiz
2009-07-20, 12:49 AM
Soranda glances up and around, "Which man?"

Worira
2009-07-20, 01:23 AM
The woman shrugs. "Oh, he left already."

Simba
2009-07-20, 01:43 AM
Haruuna

Haruuna slips her mulled wine and sighs "Seems like we got into something here. Do we want to go on? I would be interested!"

Wiz
2009-07-20, 08:18 AM
Soranda shrugs, "Life is made up of puzzles and mysteries to be solved." She takes another look at the blank book, frowning. Then she tries to sniff the page to see if she can smell lemons, or detect any other form of alchemical invisible ink. "I'm definitely in, besides..." she points to the symbol on the journal and on the note, "It definitely seems to involve my house."

Sallera
2009-07-20, 09:35 AM
Lyth

Lyth grins. "Wouldn't have swiped this in the first place if I didn't want to find out what was going on."

mr. Tentacles
2009-07-20, 10:26 AM
Naetil

"I too would like to know more of this, the contractors of that warforged will probably be after us anyway. But I must be off for now, I'll meet you at the Broken Anvil tomorrow." Naetil leaves the tavern and finds a quiet spot outside, there he starts meditating, hoping his ancestor will confirm the attack of the warforged as a sign.

OOC:
Ready to fast-forward.

Worira
2009-07-21, 01:19 AM
At dawn, each of you make your way to the Broken Anvil, located in the Mason's Tower, carved into a bend in the tower wall. A sign above the door indicates that the establishment belongs to House Ghallanda. Inside, everbright lanterns at either end of the room provide flickering illumination. A round table is set to either side of the entrance, and three longer tables are scatted throughout the room.

A stout halfling matron greets you as you enter. "Ah, you must be Lady Elaydren's guests. Come with me, please." She leads you to a secluded table near the back of the common room. "My Lady," she says to the woman already seated at the table, "your guests have arrived."

The human female in the dark blue cloak has delicate features, dark blue eyes, and sleek black hair bound with silver and turquoise ornaments. She wears a signet ring of House Cannith on her right ring finger and speaks in a soft but clear voice. "Thank you for coming. We have important business to discuss that relates to the unfortunate death of Bonal Geldem. Please, sit down." She gestures to some glasses and three pitchers, one each of wine, ale, and water.

Once you've all made yourselves comfortable, she continues speaking. "I have been working with Dean Geldem to recover a family heirloom," Lady Elaydren explains. "We were to meet earlier tonight, but, as you know, he never made it. I learned from the Watch what had transpired, and so sent one of my men to track you down. The heirloom, according to family legends, was locked away in a foundry that dates back to pre-Galifar Sharn. Poor Bonal believed he discovered the location of the foundry in an ancient House Cannith journal. I was going to fund an expedition to go to the site, but without Bonal..." Her voice trails off. Then she leans close. "Perhaps you would be willing to recover the heirloom for me. For a generous reward, of course."

Sallera
2009-07-21, 01:31 AM
Lyth

"Interesting..." Lyth pulls the blank journal out of her bag and lays it on the table, open to the first page. "I suppose you know how this works, then? Or did he tell you the location already? I was up half the night studying this thing, couldn't make sense of it."

Worira
2009-07-21, 01:53 AM
Lady Elaydren nods. "This book, containing as it does sensitive information regarding House Cannith business, will only show its secrets to a member of the house. Or, to be more precise, to someone bearing proof of allegiance to the house. If I may?"

As she takes hold of the small book, her signet ring and the mithral threads on the cover glow in unison. When she opens the book, the blank pages immediately begin to fill with delicate script and line drawings. She turns to a specific page, studies it for a moment, and then pulls a folded map from inside her cloak.

"The location of the lost foundry is deep withing the Dorasharn Tower," Lady Elaydren proclaims. "Fifty-seven levels below the tower's present-day sewage system. I offer you one thousand gold pieces and the good will of my house if you recover the heirloom and return it to me. Will you help me?"

Simba
2009-07-21, 02:47 AM
Haruuna

Haruuna looks at the map and shrugs, looking interested, but keeping her mouth shut, waiting for the others to accept first.

Sallera
2009-07-21, 09:43 AM
Lyth

"Who knows what we could find down there?" Lyth grins. "I'd certainly like to find out."

mr. Tentacles
2009-07-21, 10:48 AM
Naetil

"I'd certainly be willing to brave the depths of Sharn, but who was behind your friend's death? It's always good to know who your enemies are."

Wiz
2009-07-21, 11:32 AM
Soranda nods, "I don't mind retrieving something belonging to our house, lady. I am Soranda Smyth d'Cannith." She inclines her head respectfully, "Is there any indication what this heirloom is?"

Worira
2009-07-21, 03:32 PM
"The relic I seek is an adamantine plate in the shape of a seven pointed starabout the size of your hand," Elaydren explains. "It has no special power by itself, but is an ancient schema-a piece of a pattern used by the Cannith artificers of old to craft unusual items."

"Bonal Geldem was killed by a servant of the Lord of Blades. The warforged prophet wants the schema for his own dark purposes."

"As for what you may find in the hidden places beneath the city, I can't say that I know. But now that I think about it, Bonal did say that he would definitely need to bring fire on the expedition. I wonder what he meant? Anyway, I urge caution, but I am completely confidant that you can handle anything you may encounter in your search."

mr. Tentacles
2009-07-21, 03:40 PM
Naetil

Naetil nods. "And how much will you pay us?"

Worira
2009-07-21, 03:45 PM
"As I believe I already mentioned, I offer one thousand gold pieces and the good will of my house. I'm willing to provide one hundred now, to help you outfit yourselves for the expedition, and the other nine hundred on the return of the schema."

Sallera
2009-07-21, 03:57 PM
Lyth

"Works for me. Anyone know a good alchemist?"

Wiz
2009-07-21, 10:33 PM
Soranda laughs, "Only the best... even better, because they are House Cannith, and will be more than happy to take the lady's credit to return it to the family coffers rather than send it to the competition."

Simba
2009-07-22, 01:06 AM
Haruuna

"Count me in, I will do my best to help keep this artifact out of the hands of the Lord of Blades!"

Sallera
2009-07-22, 01:28 AM
Lyth

"Excellent. In that case, I propose we use a good portion of our additional funds for a supply of alchemist's fire. I doubt he would have mentioned bringing fire specifically if it was only the light he meant."

Simba
2009-07-22, 01:31 AM
Haruuna

"Sounds good. Can you supply us, Soranda? I guess with your house connections you should get us good stuff for a reasonable price!"

Wiz
2009-07-22, 07:51 AM
Soranda nods, "I'll go ahead and make the purchases... is there anyting else anyone will need? I have several scrolls of Lesser Vigor, but I was also going to pick up a blessed bandage or two... they're useful if someone starts bleeding out and will allow the vigor spells to kick in."

mr. Tentacles
2009-07-22, 11:31 AM
Naetil

"Those could come in handy, yes. Then after you have bought the supplies, when will we leave?"

Wiz
2009-07-22, 12:09 PM
Soranda looks thoughtful, "Shall we meet tomorrow morning? Oh, and we all should carry several days worth of food and water, in case... perhaps four?"

Worira
2009-07-25, 03:37 PM
Elaydren hands you back the journal, as well as a rolled-up map. "This map shows the way to reach the sewers of the Dorasharn Tower," she tells you. "Somewhere beyond the E-213 Valve Cluster you'll find a sealed door with the same mark as the one on Bonal's journal. Open the seal, and the tunnel beyond will take you to the long-forgotten level below, where the foundry resides."

Sallera
2009-07-25, 04:03 PM
Lyth

Lyth takes both items and stows them in her bag. "Thank you. I'm looking forward to finding out what's down there."

Wiz
2009-08-02, 08:45 PM
Soranda is waiting at the agreed point which the group was going to head out from. She has the four flasks of alchemist's fire and a couple of blessed bandages she picked up and will dole out the flasks for everyone to carry one when they arrive.

Worira
2009-08-11, 02:10 AM
You meet up in front of the Broken Anvil, and, after exchanging greetings and doling out the flasks of alchemist's fire, set out.

After a fair bit of uneventful walking, the map leads you deep into Dorasharn tower. The tunnels and corridors of this level are narrow and dark. An occasional window looks out upon the crowded walls and foundations of other towers, and infrequently placed torches sputter here and there, giving off pallid pools of light and clouds of smoke. Even so, rough and dirty people crowd the narrow corridors, and the smell of sweat and sewage permeates the stale air.

One tunnel opens into a large chamber, where a mix of goblins, humans and shifters gather around a small pile of garbage spread across three rotting blankets. One of the goblins shouts, "No pushing! No pushing! There's always enough for everyone at the Rat's Market!"

mr. Tentacles
2009-08-11, 03:45 AM
Naetil

Naetil curiously observes the goblin and his customers from a distance, stretching his neck to see the wares on the blankets. "What does the map say, are we getting close yet?"

Wiz
2009-08-11, 07:43 AM
Soranda looks at Lyth. "It might be useful to check, and also see if the Rat's Market is mentioned thereon."

Sallera
2009-08-11, 09:34 AM
Lyth

"Odd place down here. Let's see..." Staring at the map, Lyth attempts to discern the quickest route to their destination.

Knowledge: Geography if necessary... don't know just how bad these tunnels are... :smalltongue: [roll0]

Worira
2009-08-13, 02:28 AM
The map has been simple to follow so far, and you can easily find your current location on it. However, the directions on how to reach the actual sewer level aren't clear.

There is no mention of a "Rat's Market" on the map.

Wiz
2009-08-14, 01:25 PM
Soranda blinks, "Why would the lady give us a map to reach the sewers to get something she wants, and not make the directions on how to get there simple to understand?"

Worira
2009-08-14, 01:30 PM
The map actually appears to be quite old. The directions on the map may once have been simple to follow, but changes to the tower seem to have rendered this portion obsolete.

Wiz
2009-08-14, 01:35 PM
Soranda looks at the others after ascertaining the age of the map, "We might need to see if we can hire a guide to get us down below... what do you all think?"

Sallera
2009-08-14, 01:47 PM
Lyth

Lyth nods. "That should be alright. I'm sure one of the locals can get us where we're going."

Simba
2009-08-17, 12:44 AM
Haruuna

"Fine with me. A guide might be a good idea, in fact!"

Wiz
2009-08-25, 12:39 PM
Soranda begins wandering through the rat's market looking for a guide or anything else that might help the group reach their destination. She keeps a lookout for pickpockets and cutpurses.

Worira
2009-08-26, 12:34 AM
A good portion of the crowd looks like they wouldn't be above petty crime, but this isn't the place for it. Most of the merchandise on offer is rubbish, and you doubt if there's a gold piece in the market.

After approaching a few merchants and customers, none of whom know where the valve cluster is, you approach an older goblin male who doesn't appear to hear you.

"I've got a rare stick of sealing wax, only partially used, for a mere sixty copper pieces. Or maybe you could use this fine woolen blanket with just a touch of mildew? Only thirty-nine coppers. How about a skewer of boiled rat meat? For you, just five silver. Or, perhaps, if I could point out the way to a certain valve cluster, what would it be worth to fine explorers such as yourself? One hundred silver?"

Wiz
2009-08-26, 02:15 AM
Soranda shrugs, "It might be worth 50 silver... on our return"

Worira
2009-08-26, 10:21 PM
The goblin scratches his chin. "Well, I suppose I could take you there for 60, but that's as low as I'll go. I'll be needing the money as soon as I bring you there, though. I can't feed myself on promises, you know."

Wiz
2009-08-27, 01:12 AM
Soranda pulls a scrollcase from her pack and removes a scroll from it, stowing the case back in the pack and holding up the scroll. "I have no cash to give you at the moment, but this scroll, which I penned myself, is worth 25 gold on the open market. Get us to the valve cluster and I'll give you the scroll, I'll come and find you in a week and buy it back from you for 25 gold. That is more than twice what you initially asked."

Worira
2009-08-28, 10:53 AM
While Soranda negotiates with the goblin, Naetil notices a shifter watching the group intently from across the large chamber. When the shifter sees that he has been spotted, he vanishes into the crowd.

The goblin opens the scroll case and carefully examines the scroll inside, then replaces it. "We've got a deal," he says. "My name's Skakan, by the way. Follow me."

Skakan leads you through a maze of twisting corridors, before stopping in front of a narrow passage that leads to a staircase that descends deeper into the tower. "The valve cluster is right through there," he says, pointing.

Wiz
2009-09-05, 11:20 AM
Soranda will let the goblin touch the scroll and look it over without releasing it. (She did not give him the scrollcase, or let him see there were other scrolls therein.) "Lead on, we're right behind you."