PDA

View Full Version : Balance Fixes [3.5]

Baron Corm
2009-06-27, 02:43 PM
There have been a few topics recently centered around hit point systems. This got me thinking about Pokémon. Borrowing some ideas from that game, I have come up with what I believe might be a way to balance certain aspects of D&D. The first idea is to reduce the damage done by meleers, and the second is to make hp damage relevant at all times. These two problems aren't the only balance problems in the game, but they are what my fixes are targeting. Here are the proposed changes:

Full Attacks

As posted by Firkraag at some point in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115543) thread. All characters, regardless of BAB, can make 1 attack in a standard attack at their highest attack bonus, or 2 attacks in a full attack, both at their highest attack bonus.

Power Attack

Taking this hint from Neverwinter Nights. Power Attack has a maximum of -3/+3 (or +6 for THF). Improved Power Attack is a second feat which allows up to -6/+6 (or +12 for THF). Only one multiplier may be applied to this final Power Attack damage. For example, either Supreme Power Attack or Leap Attack. Treat them as bonuses of the same type.

Two-Weapon Fighting

The Two-Weapon Fighting feat remains as-is. Improved Two-Weapon Fighting grants an extra attack, at your highest attack bonus, during a standard action. Greater Two-Weapon Fighting grants an extra attack, at your highest attack bonus, during a full attack action.

Spells

Here's the Pokémon aspect. A spell can only affect a creature with current HP equal to or less than (10 x spell level). Illusions are seen as illusory, conjurations act as if illusory, and divinations simply fail. This restriction is lifted for any spell which does solely damage. A creature can willingly lower this "spell resistance" as a free action if he wishes to be affected by a spell. This represents the fact that you have to whittle down your opponent's life force before you can affect him with state-altering magic. If the spell allowed a saving throw before, it still does.

Because I want to use the term "spell resistance", and because casters haet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0437.html) SR, SR under this system is changed to an decrease in the amount of HP required before a caster can bewitch you. For the normal (10 + HD), this is a 1.5x decrease. For example, a level 13 monk cannot be affected by a 6th level spell unless he has less than or equal to 40 hp. Spell immunity remains the same.

Conclusion

Fights at all levels should last a decent number of rounds. Overcoming damage reduction is actually an issue, making fights with devils, for example, more exciting, and making a barbarian or warlock's damage reduction more useful. TWF and Flurry of Blows become more attractive, though Power Attack remains viable as it can overcome damage reduction better.

Casters such as beguilers or batmen require help from their friends before they end the encounter. A beguiler could still enchant a creature of lower HD, even at max health, with no problems, so plausibility isn't stretched so much. They could even trick a creature of higher HD into lowering their guard, and becoming susceptible to their enchantment. Although, the beguiler as a class might not be necessary with these proposed changes.

Flickerdart
2009-06-27, 03:34 PM
So...how do you buff?

Brogen
2009-06-27, 03:39 PM
He said you can voluntarily lower your spell resistance, and I assume that's without actually losing hit points

Oslecamo
2009-06-28, 03:35 PM
Hmm, there's an interesting idea. You gotta wear down the enemy before being able to shoot your disables.

Altough I guess the casters will just change to spells that change the battlefield and super buffs. Debuffs become kinda worthless at high levels because if you can wear down the enemy to low enough HP that it can be affected by the debuffs, the melees can probably just finish it up.

Baron Corm
2009-06-28, 09:37 PM
Altough I guess the casters will just change to spells that change the battlefield and super buffs. Debuffs become kinda worthless at high levels because if you can wear down the enemy to low enough HP that it can be affected by the debuffs, the melees can probably just finish it up.

I was hoping to fix this problem by reducing melee damage. Picking a number for the "spell resistance" is going to be the hardest part. Too high, and it might as well not be there. Too low, and damaging spells overshadow. Ideally, the party as a whole would be able to deal about 25% of the monster's maximum health each round, and save-or-sucks would function when the monster is at about 50% health. The problem is making all of the little bonuses from every place work together to meet this goal.