PDA

View Full Version : Geist: The Sin-Eaters

Warpfire
2009-06-27, 08:39 PM
So, anybody else interested in White Wolf's upcoming game? I just read the online quick-start, and while it was plagued with proofreading errors and a couple instances of oWoD terminology, I must say that my interest has been captured. Never really payed much attention before, but now I can't wait for it to come out in August.

Note: the title of this thread is 'Geist: The Sin-Eaters' not 'Blargh nWoD sucks'. Please keep this in mind when posting.

sofawall
2009-06-27, 08:48 PM
Note: the title of this thread is 'Geist: The Sin-Eaters' not 'Blargh nWoD sucks'. Please keep this in mind when posting.

I know nothing of White Wolf, but that unfortunately seems to be quite a necessary line...

horus42
2009-06-27, 09:56 PM
I know nothing of White Wolf, but that unfortunately seems to be quite a necessary line...

I wouldn't say it's really necessary, but a lot of people, especially those who used to/still play oWoD, seem to think it is. I started out playing oWoD, and I still think that nWoD is pretty good.

Anywho... I haven't heard much about Geist, so I'm more curious about it than excited.

Panda-s1
2009-06-27, 10:46 PM
Ooh, I've read the preview and I'm excited. I've been wanting to get into WoD for a while, and had been interested in Hunter and Mage, but Geist has me real excited for some reason. I've read through the nWoD book, and Geist seems like WoD++, as in your character knows what's beyond the veil rather than flirting dangerously near it. I just hope I can find a group to play it this summer.

Warpfire
2009-06-28, 12:56 AM
I wouldn't say it's really necessary, but a lot of people, especially those who used to/still play oWoD, seem to think it is. I started out playing oWoD, and I still think that nWoD is pretty good.

Anywho... I haven't heard much about Geist, so I'm more curious about it than excited.

I think he was saying it was necessary to tell people not to rant about nWoD, not actually insulting nWoD.

Could be taken either way, though, looking at it again.

horus42
2009-06-28, 09:54 AM
I think he was saying it was necessary to tell people not to rant about nWoD, not actually insulting nWoD.

Could be taken either way, though, looking at it again.

Eh. Could be either or. In my experience though, a lot of other people would just insult it, although it's really not a bad system. (I think they're just mad that so much fluff was changed, but oh well. It's not like you can't throw in a homebrew of your favorite Clan/Tribe/etc.) Anyway, since I am curious, could you provide the link to the preview?

Tengu_temp
2009-06-28, 10:05 AM
So, what is Geist actually about?

PerpetualGM
2009-06-28, 10:36 AM
I'll admit to being one of those "nWoD haters", at least initially. I loved the oWoD for the convoluted meta-plot and found the nWoD to be too "bland". While I still think that Werewolf: The Forsaken is just a pale shadow of Werewolf: The Apocalypse, my all-time favorite RPG, I've really started to get into Vampire: The Requiem lately.

And yes, I find myself looking forward to Geist as well.

Dixieboy
2009-06-28, 11:49 AM
Ooh, I've read the preview and I'm excited. I've been wanting to get into WoD for a while, and had been interested in Hunter and Mage, but Geist has me real excited for some reason. I've read through the nWoD book, and Geist seems like WoD++, as in your character knows what's beyond the veil rather than flirting dangerously near it. I just hope I can find a group to play it this summer.

In WoD you had a clan of vampires who were literary trying to destroy the veil

"Veil" being their word for "The thing that seperates the world of the living from everything else"
Which FYI would end the world.

And not only did they know what was behind the veil, their special discipline was concerned with toying with it.

The giovanni were awesome...

Anyway Geist seems pretty good, too bad it probably won't be released here for a couple of years, if at all.

NeoVid
2009-06-28, 01:42 PM
I actually don't expect haters to say much about Geist, since it's an entirely new game, not based on anything from oWoD. The haters don't like it these days because it's not exactly the same as the old version.

So, what is Geist actually about?

There's a free pdf of the quickstart, which is the most info we've gotten so far.

Super-Basic Version: The PCs are people who had near-death experiences and were forcibly brought back by powerful, not entirely normal ghosts that are now permanently possessing them.

From what I've seen of it, it seems like it might actually be the most tragic of all the game lines... I mean, being a Promethean is horrible, but the point of that game is that you can overcome that. Sin-eaters look like they're just stuck, especially since they can't even die to get away from their responsibilities. Add the fact that it looks like there aren't enough of them to really have a society to support them... ow.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. I have my hopes up because it was done by most of the developers of Changeling, and the fact that it has the same huge advantage Promethean did: it's entirely new, and doesn't have to carry any baggage from oWoD.

Panda-s1
2009-06-28, 02:07 PM
In WoD you had a clan of vampires who were literary trying to destroy the veil

"Veil" being their word for "The thing that seperates the world of the living from everything else"
Which FYI would end the world.

And not only did they know what was behind the veil, their special discipline was concerned with toying with it.

The giovanni were awesome...

Anyway Geist seems pretty good, too bad it probably won't be released here for a couple of years, if at all.
Wait, is that oWoD, or nWoD? And where do you live?

I actually don't expect haters to say much about Geist, since it's an entirely new game, not based on anything from oWoD. The haters don't like it these days because it's not exactly the same as the old version.

There's a free pdf of the quickstart, which is the most info we've gotten so far.

Super-Basic Version: The PCs are people who had near-death experiences and were forcibly brought back by powerful, not entirely normal ghosts that are now permanently possessing them.

From what I've seen of it, it seems like it might actually be the most tragic of all the game lines... I mean, being a Promethean is horrible, but the point of that game is that you can overcome that. Sin-eaters look like they're just stuck, especially since they can't even die to get away from their responsibilities. Add the fact that it looks like there aren't enough of them to really have a society to support them... ow.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. I have my hopes up because it was done by most of the developers of Changeling, and the fact that it has the same huge advantage Promethean did: it's entirely new, and doesn't have to carry any baggage from oWoD.
I don't think it's that tragic, from what I read it's more a case of making a pact with a geist, i.e. you can get rid of it somehow. Eventually.

horus42
2009-06-28, 03:10 PM
Wait, is that oWoD, or nWoD?

The Giovanni are oWoD. A Clan of Vampire Necromancers, superficially similar to the Mafia, etc.

The haters don't like it these days because it's not exactly the same as the old version.

I completely agree. Different =/= bad.

Dixieboy
2009-06-28, 03:23 PM
The Giovanni are oWoD. A Clan of Vampire Necromancers, superficially similar to the Mafia, etc.
The giovanni is to the mafia, as the mafia is to an inappropriately spiced pizza.

But anyway, yea oWoD i hate it when i forget the O

I live in a part of the world whose vampire population is described in VTM as "A couple of gangrels" :smalltongue:
Want any more leads?
Denmark

Tengu_temp
2009-06-28, 06:41 PM
Any ideas where does the Sin-Eaters part come from?

Panda-s1
2009-06-28, 10:16 PM
Any ideas where does the Sin-Eaters part come from?

Sin-Eaters are the people who cheated death by making a pact with their geist. Why Sin-Eater? I don't know, but they do go around helping ghosts (which is the basis of the game: helping ghosts, or at least investigating ghost-related situations).

Indeed.
2009-06-28, 10:30 PM
Why Sin-Eater?

Because slow-roasted infant is delicious.

Warpfire
2009-06-28, 10:44 PM
Anyway, since I am curious, could you provide the link to the preview?

Here you go, (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=63060) though you may have to get a DriveThruRPG account. Which would be dumb, since its free, but that's how it is. I don't think it'd technically be illegal to torrent it, but I'd rather not risk it by posting a link.

I dunno, changelings have it pretty damn bad. Especially if you've read Equinox Road and know what happens at Wyrd 10.

Panda-s1
2009-06-29, 12:55 AM
Here you go, (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=63060) though you may have to get a DriveThruRPG account. Which would be dumb, since its free, but that's how it is. I don't think it'd technically be illegal to torrent it, but I'd rather not risk it by posting a link.

Uh, I think I found an easier link here: http://www.white-wolf.com/downloads.php?&category_id=6

ResplendentFire
2009-06-29, 02:41 AM
Oh, interesting. It's a nice take on ghosts without taking characters out of the modern world. I got the impression that old Wraith was kind of difficult to approach because it was difficult to interact with the living.

banjo1985
2009-06-29, 04:00 AM
Ah, I've been looking forward to this since it was advertised in the back of the Hunter. I'll definitely be looking into it.

Revlid
2009-06-29, 10:52 AM
So far out of nWoD I've really approved of Werewolf, Promethean, Hunter and Changeling, so they've got a good track record with regards to "secondary" lines. From what I've heard this sounds vaguely... Grimdark-Bleachish, so I'm going to read the preview and then return with my feelings formed.

horus42
2009-06-29, 04:57 PM
Uh, I think I found an easier link here: http://www.white-wolf.com/downloads.php?&category_id=6

Thanks for that. Now that I've read it, I've decided that I'm excited for this game too.