PDA

View Full Version : How many ways to increase criticals

Korivan
2009-06-27, 10:56 PM
So far I know of quite a few ways to improve critical threat range and multiplier, but im wondering two things. 1. how many of these things stack, and 2. is there any more. So far i've gotten these
1. Improved Critical-PHB
2. Keen Edge/Weapon of Impact-DMG
3. Weapon Master-SAF (+2 threat range, and +1 multiplier)
4. Lamanating and Serrating blade qualities (+1 threat range and damage, +1 multiplier)
I know certain spells from the spell compendium also do things like this too but not sure what.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-27, 11:02 PM
Kaorti Resin(wizards site, special material, needs EWP), gives any weapon made of it a x4 multiplier.

The Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer is an Exotic Weapon with a 19-20x4 multiplier, the only non-errata'd non-Dragon one I can think of. Note, there is debate over whether the Minotaur entry or the Weapon statblock is correct. MM4.

jcsw
2009-06-27, 11:02 PM
Disciple of Dispater, from BoVD.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-28, 12:16 AM
Note that the Weapon Master in Sword and Fist was reprinted in Complete Warrior as Exotic Weapon Master, and it no longer grants improved critical hits.

There's the Psychic Weapon Master (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d), which gets +2 threat range if you already have Improved Critical. It also grants an increased multiplier a certain number of times per day.

The spell Dolorous Blow in Spell Compendium doubles a weapon's threat range and makes it so every threat is a critical hit, you no longer need to roll a second time to confirm it.

The spell Choose Destiny, from the Destiny domain, in Races of Destiny, allows you to roll twice for every d20 roll and take the better result. With Divine Metamagic: Persistent you can make it last all day. While not directly improving your threat range, it indirectly improves your chances of rolling a threat since every attack you'll get the better of two rolls.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-28, 12:23 AM
Blessed, +1,
Autoconfirm a crit against evil creatures. Can be activated 3 times a day, lasts an entire round each time. BoED version was better, +1 and was continuous.

Brogen
2009-06-28, 12:28 AM
The Mythic Exemplar (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070504a&page=3) from Complete Champion can increase your crit range by 1 at level 2, if you pick Sunyartra.

Edit: Almost forgot, this stacks with all other crit range increases.

T.G. Oskar
2009-06-28, 05:21 AM
Not exactly an optimal weapon, but the Jovar is a nifty weapon that's basically a greatsword with extended threat range (2d6 damage, 18-20/x2). The only other weapon close to that is the Elven Greatblade, which is also 18-20 but with less damage.

As mentioned before, Greathammer from the Minotaur has a nifty 19-20/x4 bonus, and it deals quite a bit of damage. That's excellent for a bludgeoning weapon.

The only missing weapon would be the proper piercing weapon.

There's a spell on Spell Compendium for Paladins, I believe, that's basically granting Bless Weapon to all allies within range.

Maiming, IIRC, isn't an enhancement but it deals extra damage depending on your critical. It's on the range of 1d6 per critical multiplier, or 1d10.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-28, 05:32 AM
Maiming is a +1 cost weapon property that changes your critical multiplier to a variable. A x2 weapon becomes x1d4, a x3 becomes x1d6, and a x4 becomes x1d8. A friend of mine who always plays two-handed melee characters loves Maiming, especially on a x4 weapon. He once got a lucky x8 critical hit with a lot of power attack on a big dragon on the first round and killed him in a single hit. That's all Maiming is good for though, very rarely getting one huge lucky hit and killing just about anything in a single attack.

Edit: It's in the Miniatures Handbook.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-28, 05:38 AM
*points out that the results of this thread and the sneak attack thread could be combined for true insanity*

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-28, 05:42 AM
*points out that the results of this thread and the sneak attack thread could be combined for true insanity*

Sneak Attack damage, like all other bonus dice, doesn't get multiplied on a critical hit. This thread is best combined with Power Attack.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-28, 05:49 AM
Your base damage does however.

Take a weapon that both power attack and sneak attack can easily be used for (which is virtually anything that can be power attacked).
Increase the critical by as much as possible and increase your sneak attack by as much as possible with lots of low level multiclassing and a few nice odds and ends with feats and items.
Then take Quick draw and Flick of the wrist.
Amp up init by as much as possible and call it a day.

If you can find a weapon that can be weapon finesed and power attacked (I think spiked chain works from what I've been told) and have a load of fun.

T.G. Oskar
2009-06-28, 05:56 AM
This thread is best combined with Power Attack.

I'd also say the Nightmare Blade maneuvers for some ridiculous addition (I mean, fail or not, you get at least 4 times the damage. Mix with a crit, and well...you can get around 5x-7x damage)

Then add Maiming, and well...things get really nasty. With one hit, of course. Though, mostly you'd want a 18-20 big weapon with keen or Improved Crit for the weapon, and then praying for a 15 or more while doing any of the Nightmare Blade maneuvers.

Add some Xing Mongoose boosts on that, make it a ribbon weapon, and presto! One strike with a helluva multiplier, then two weapons that can have up to a 4x crit around 30% of the times, regarding you hit.

And just spice it up with Power Attack, Brilliant Energy weapon (or a way to get a touch attack aside from Emerald Razor), and a way to null the enemy's Dex bonus to damage (like Greater Invisibility or something better), and watch the sparks fly!

If you can find a weapon that can be weapon finesed and power attacked (I think spiked chain works from what I've been told) and have a load of fun.

Elven Courtblade. 1d10, 18-20/x4, piercing or slashing, and can be used for Weapon Finesse, yet still remains as a two handed weapon

Make it ribbon, keen (or make it the weapon of Improved Critical), and presto!

only1doug
2009-06-28, 06:06 AM
a 1 level dip into marshal can give all allies within 30' a bonus equal to your charisma bonus to their critical confirmations, I almost took it for my sorceror (but didn't, then he died and I made a different character) It's especially powerful when running the wound and vitality points optional system.

Quietus
2009-06-28, 06:24 AM
Note that the Weapon Master in Sword and Fist was reprinted in Complete Warrior as Exotic Weapon Master, and it no longer grants improved critical hits.

I've seen nothing saying that Exotic Weapon Master replaces Weapon Master. The two seem decidedly very different to me, and have different names. That's like saying CW Samurai replaces Master Samurai from OA.. and I don't think anyone wants to think about that.

If a player in my games wanted to go into both Exotic Weapon Master and Weapon Master prestige classes, I'd allow it.

Darrin
2009-06-28, 06:55 AM
Elven Courtblade. 1d10, 18-20/x4, piercing or slashing, and can be used for Weapon Finesse, yet still remains as a two handed weapon

Make it ribbon, keen (or make it the weapon of Improved Critical), and presto!

Elven Courtblade is normally 1d10, 18-20/x2. You can increase the crit multiplier to x4 by making it out of kaorti resin. You could also make it out of a heavy metal such as gold or platinum (Magic of Faerun p. 179), which would increase the damage to 2d6, but you could no longer use Weapon Finesse with it.

I've seen nothing saying that Exotic Weapon Master replaces Weapon Master. The two seem decidedly very different to me, and have different names. That's like saying CW Samurai replaces Master Samurai from OA.. and I don't think anyone wants to think about that.

I agree, the two PrCs should be completely unrelated, but WotC has an official list of everything in 3.0 that has been updated or revised in 3.5:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x

Curmudgeon
2009-06-28, 08:28 AM
Sneak Attack damage, like all other bonus dice, doesn't get multiplied on a critical hit. Sneak attack dice don't get multiplied on a critical hit. Static sneak attack bonuses, such as from Craven, do get multiplied.

yilduz
2009-06-28, 12:51 PM
Your base damage does however.

Take a weapon that both power attack and sneak attack can easily be used for (which is virtually anything that can be power attacked).
Increase the critical by as much as possible and increase your sneak attack by as much as possible with lots of low level multiclassing and a few nice odds and ends with feats and items.
Then take Quick draw and Flick of the wrist.
Amp up init by as much as possible and call it a day.

If you're doing all that multiclassing AND using power attack, your attack bonus is going to be tiny. You'll pretty much HAVE to get a crit in order to hit anything.

Keld Denar
2009-06-28, 01:08 PM
Pitspawned weapons (DMGII) have a +2 untyped bonus to confirm crits and synergize with Keen, making it cheaper to enchant. Consult your DMGII for more info.

Quietus
2009-06-28, 01:56 PM
I agree, the two PrCs should be completely unrelated, but WotC has an official list of everything in 3.0 that has been updated or revised in 3.5:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x

... They tried to fold both Master of Chains and Weapon Master into a single, complete different class that doesn't maintain the feel of EITHER of the earlier ones? What the hell?

Personally, I find that stupid.. but I guess them's the breaks. My earlier statement about letting people take both if they want stands.

Ravens_cry
2009-06-28, 02:08 PM
The Paladin spell, Bless Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blessWeapon.htm) confirms all threats against evil foes.

AstralFire
2009-06-28, 02:14 PM

That is NOT remotely the same class, I don't care what they say about "UPDATED: CW." They don't even share the same concept.

Korivan
2009-06-28, 02:46 PM

Funny you mention that...in our current campaign, my friend is the thief/fighter with a scyth. Basically, im looking for more ways to help him optimize. We're sticking with the original weapon master because everyones played NWN 1+2 and we're used to it. So I know he'll pick that. We're hoping that we can find the weapon aug crystals that let people sneak attack and crit undead and constructs...we've already been up against them.

EDIT: While sneak attack isnt multiplied it is added in...and theres nothing wrong with adding sauce with the steak.

Fastmover
2009-06-28, 06:30 PM
Anyone mention the Kensei?