PDA

View Full Version : Im getting SoD, but I have a question....

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-06-28, 01:35 AM
I'm ordering SoD in 3 days, but I have a question: How long does it tradionanitlly take to get here? (Lompoc, California, USA)

Mystic Muse
2009-06-28, 01:40 AM
I'm ordering SoD in 3 days, but I have a question: How long does it tradionanitlly take to get here? (Lompoc, California, USA)

took me about two weeks. although I'm in Indiana not California.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-06-28, 06:18 AM
Is there anyway to figure out where they ship from?

pita
2009-06-28, 08:51 AM
A bit of advice, but first a warning:
SoD will make you cry deep and bitter tears. You will never be able to forgive any of the villains ever again. Ever. The question of whether Xykon or Redcloak is more vile is a question you have to answer yourself after reading it, but the sheer evil of it all is worse than most things I've read, and I'm a George RR Martin fan.
Now for the advice:
Read OtooPC first. I don't want to spoiler you, but read it first.

NerfTW
2009-06-28, 09:54 AM
SoD will make you cry deep and bitter tears. You will never be able to forgive any of the villains ever again. Ever. The question of whether Xykon or Redcloak is more vile is a question you have to answer yourself after reading it, but the sheer evil of it all is worse than most things I've read, and I'm a George RR Martin fan.
Now for the advice:

I think that's going a little overboard. That's hardly the worst evil ever written, unless you've only read children's books.

As for the advice, you don't need to read Orign first. The only link between the two is not crucial to either book. There's no issue with reading one or the other first.

Pyro
2009-06-28, 10:15 AM
SoD spoils one scene in Origins, but it's nothing major. However typically it's better to read the books in the order the Giant wrote them.

The Rose Dragon
2009-06-28, 10:20 AM
Also, while it's a good book, it's not nearly worth the hype you'll read around here. It's just a good story; it's not a classic for all times.

Your mileage may vary.

NerfTW
2009-06-28, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I'm still wondering where this "gut wrenching" evil deal comes from. Seems pretty standard to me. The ending is poignant, I'll give it that, but it's pretty much standard Xykon and Redcloak behavior if you've read all the strips until now.

Granted, at the time the book came out, people were having trouble thinking of Xykon as an actual evil vilian (it came out during the early Azure City battle), but now he's easily surpassed anything in the book. Just go back and look at the fan reactions to Xykon's actions during the Azure City battle. There were a lot of "I just can't like Xykon anymore" posts.

Forbiddenwar
2009-06-28, 12:00 PM
I believe pika was channeling Miko, who does the introduction.

David Argall
2009-06-28, 01:51 PM
I had a shipment that took months to arrive. As I guess, the order more or less got lost in the rush to send out the new book and it took some time to figure out who had not done what. However others seem to get the order in days.

Morquard
2009-06-28, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I'm still wondering where this "gut wrenching" evil deal comes from. Seems pretty standard to me. The ending is poignant, I'll give it that, but it's pretty much standard Xykon and Redcloak behavior if you've read all the strips until now.
Have to agree, I didn't radically change my opinion about either of them after reading SOD.
But it was like 10 strips ago that I did, so I knew what both of them are capable of when its needed I guess.

Sure some stuff Xykon does in SOD is... well moraly questionable... but how's that different from the stuff he does in the comic?

Lufia
2009-06-28, 02:37 PM
Apparently, shipping speed varies greatly. I got it all the way to France in a week but I seem to be lucky. Or our mailmen are wizards. I could never tell.

As for SoD (and OtOoPCs) what I really noticed was how fast paced the storytelling was compared to the online strip. The constant jumping between scenes does that.

Starscream
2009-06-28, 05:19 PM
Mine arrived in about 6 days. Can't complain at all.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-06-28, 05:45 PM
Alright, so probably 7 Days to about 2 1/2 weeks, right?

Raenir Salazar
2009-06-28, 06:03 PM
Now for the advice:

Youve never read Coraline have you?

Also its more like 4-5 weeks.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-06-28, 06:30 PM
Wow. But are you sure it would take that long? I live in the U.S.

Morgan Wick
2009-06-29, 03:17 PM
There's still some aspects of SoD that makes one of the major villains seem like an anti-villain that haven't quite seeped into the main comic yet, though there are hints of it.

Meg
2009-06-29, 03:31 PM
It took me nearly a freakin' month to get SOD and OOPCs, and when they came, the box had been opened and put in another box.:smallannoyed:
but I live in Minnesota, and when I tracked my order, it was held in California for a week or so, so maybe you're in luck.

Just for the record: I loved SOD, it really adds depth to certain characters. I unfortunately had it spoiled for me, so you're lucky to be going into it without knowing the end!

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-06-29, 04:35 PM
Alright, thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Theodoriph
2009-06-29, 05:01 PM
Sure some stuff Xykon does in SOD is... well moraly questionable... but how's that different from the stuff he does in the comic?

SOD came out over 200 strips ago during the siege of Azure City. Xykon has been shown to be exponentially more evil since then. Before the siege, Xykon was predominantly shown to be comically evil. He's become much darker since then. SoD spearheaded this transformation, so it was quite different.

Timberboar
2009-06-29, 05:05 PM
Is there anyway to figure out where they ship from?

I believe I read somewhere that the main warehouse is in Houston, TX. So long as a hurricane isn't currently pounding the city, I imagine you'll have your book in short order.

Moonself
2009-06-29, 05:56 PM
Oooooh, I want to partecipate:

It took exactly 2 weeks to arrive to Italy with the cheapest mail option. I would guess it should take much less to arrive anywhere in your country. Well, except Somewhere... they have a different mail system there. And maybe also Nowhere.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-06-30, 01:04 AM
Don't forget anywhere!

pita
2009-06-30, 09:04 AM
Youve never read Coraline have you?

Also its more like 4-5 weeks.

I haven't read Coraline, but I have read a lot of Neil Gaiman. American Gods, Neverwhere, Good Omens, and Smoke & Mirrors.
The thing about the whole problem in the end is that you realize how far gone Redcloak is by the beginning of the comic.
On a re-read, Redcloak is callous and pretty uncaring about the fates of the goblins. He is completely unfazed by the fact that Xykon is throwing them into the gate. In my opinion, it's more depressing than GRRM or Neil Gaiman because every step Redcloak takes in the evil direction makes the next one easier, and Redcloak could snap at any moment. In my opinion it's worse than even GRRM's Red Wedding, because at least from the Red Wedding you could go up.

NerfTW
2009-06-30, 11:10 AM
Redcloak's behavior is pretty standard, predictable "evil overlord" behavior. The events in SOD helps illuminate the reasons for his behavior and gives the character depth, but I still hesitate to call it more disturbing that any other evil overlord with henchmen. By that rationale, we should also be "deeply disturbed" by Dr. Evil in Austin Powers. Or Ming the Merciless. Or Cobra Commander.

The book, and the battle of Azure City point out the hypocrisy of his actions, but he isn't the first and won't be the last commander to treat his soldiers as expendable numbers for the cause.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-06-30, 03:13 PM
Uhh, you guys are kinda derailing the thread....

Ancalagon
2009-06-30, 03:22 PM
Uhh, you guys are kinda derailing the thread....

... from what? You have a few comments on how long it'll take and in the end: the books will arrive when they arrive, no sooner, no later and determining that time is beyond your ability to control or influence anyway...

fangthane
2009-06-30, 03:38 PM
Pita, whatever you do stay away from Stephen R. Donaldson's writing. Trust me on this, you do NOT want to read The Gap or the Thomas Covenant books (assuming you could get past his use of $10 words in the first place, which some can't)

Xykon's nothing next to my namesake or Holt Fasner. Ahh, Donaldson - there's a guy who knows how to write 'depressing evil' in epic style.

My time from ordering to pickup was 2 days, but then I ordered it as a reservation from the local gaming supply store, so that's probably not too meaningful. :)

Elfin
2009-06-30, 09:19 PM
Now for the advice:

SoD made me like Xykon and Redcloak a lot more, actually; in my opinion there's nothing better than a good villain. And it gives both of them a lot more depth.

The book's a must, adds a lot to the OOTS experience. Happy reading.

The Extinguisher
2009-06-30, 09:34 PM
I'd recommend it as a stand alone as well. It works.

It's a great book. And you come off hating pretty much all the characters in it a lot more.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-07-01, 02:20 AM

It's a great book. And you come off hating pretty much all the characters in it a lot more.

Erm.. is that really a good thing?

Athaniar
2009-07-01, 04:54 AM
SoD made me like Xykon and Redcloak a lot more, actually; in my opinion there's nothing better than a good villain. And it gives both of them a lot more depth.

The book's a must, adds a lot to the OOTS experience. Happy reading.

I second this. After I read the book, Xykon became one of my favorite villains, in the same league as the Joker and Palpatine.

NerfTW
2009-07-01, 08:47 AM

It hardly works as a standalone book. Unless your idea of a stand alone book is one where nothing actually gets resolved, and it ends in the middle of the story.

Even if you view it from just one character's journey, it only goes halfway.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-07-01, 04:45 PM
Yay! I just ordered it today! I can't wait!

dragoonsgone
2009-07-01, 07:20 PM
Yea, they ship from Houston. I remember seeing you can go pick em up in person if you live there.

I don't remember how long it took but it wasn't unduly long but then again, I live about 200 miles from Houston.