PDA

View Full Version : Nitpick - How is Celia managing to wear Haley's clothes?

Conuly
2009-06-28, 09:55 AM
I'm re-reading the strip, and I just realized something.

Waaaaay back when Belkar's Mark of Justice was activated, Celia changed into a spare outfit borrowed from Haley (and made some "innocent" comments about the fit).

But... she has wings! This is such a silly little detail, but how can she wear clothes designed for wingless people when she has wings? I'd expect her own clothes to have, like, holes in them, either designed or put there herself, but if she had to cut holes in Haley's shirt you'd expect her to at least comment about it... right?

rxmd
2009-06-28, 10:04 AM
I'd expect her own clothes to have, like, holes in them, either designed or put there herself, but if she had to cut holes in Haley's shirt you'd expect her to at least comment about it...

Maybe she is a member of the Holey Brotherhood.

Fencing Fool
2009-06-28, 10:19 AM
Perhaps Celia is a powerful (pacifist) Elvish sorceress who taped wings on her back and pretended to be a slyph so Dorukan would hire her and is just casting flight spells when she flies.:smallbiggrin:

Milcho
2009-06-28, 10:23 AM
Umm, maybe I'm being naive here, but what about a pair of scissors, or even just a knife...

Its not THAT hard to cut holes in clothes.

Conuly
2009-06-28, 10:36 AM
Umm, maybe I'm being naive here, but what about a pair of scissors, or even just a knife...

Its not THAT hard to cut holes in clothes.

Yeah, and Haley - who is really getting annoyed by Celia ten times over - never says a word about it? Never grumbles once?

Celia, for that matter, never apologizes for the fact that "borrowing" Haley's clothes means ruining them?

Maybe she is a member of the Holey Brotherhood.

Maybe Haley is and that's why she doesn't mind!

Xallace
2009-06-28, 10:39 AM
Would this be her current outfit? Because her current outfit appears to have no back and ties around the neck.

Revanmal
2009-06-28, 10:40 AM
Look at 665. I'm fairly certain her shirt is just sort of backless, like a halter top.

EDIT: Dammit, Ninja'd

Blackjackg
2009-06-28, 10:40 AM
Look at this top. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0531.html) And this one. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0570.html)

While they're not exactly Haley's style, they certainly look like they have the potential to be low-backed.

Captain Alien
2009-06-28, 10:45 AM
You can see in #665 how her back is not covered by clothes. When she hugs Roy.

Conuly
2009-06-28, 11:53 AM
Would this be her current outfit? Because her current outfit appears to have no back and ties around the neck.

It does...?

*goes to look*

Hey, you're right! Man, and this has been bugging me for the past... however long it's been since I made this post! Thanks!

Callista
2009-06-28, 12:01 PM
Celia, for that matter, never apologizes for the fact that "borrowing" Haley's clothes means ruining them?Mending. Simple cantrip. Just get Elan to cast it; we know he can.

David Argall
2009-06-28, 12:05 PM
Of course, if we are going to nitpick, Haley has gone for the bare middle, not for the low back [Her comments about the Nale selected outfit are negative, tho they are mostly made after finding out Elan was Nale.], and so should not have had something in Celia's style.

Mant
2009-06-28, 12:07 PM
{Scrubbed}

Belkster11
2009-06-28, 12:45 PM
^ Rude. :smallannoyed:

Anyway, it's probably overly-nitpicking, dear OP. Who's to say Celia didn't cut holes in the back for her wings? Haley doesn't strike me as the type who's gonna be pitching a fit about the status of her clothes (or her hair) when she has more important things to worry about.

Thanatosia
2009-06-28, 02:30 PM
Even if she had to cut holes in Haley's cloths, Haley would just have to get a heal spell or use a potion or any form of healing effect to restore her cloths too: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html (Panel 4)

Now the real question is: What would happen to Celia's wings if they are going through some form of torn or cut tear in cloths and she recieves magical healing???? :smalleek:

skim172
2009-06-28, 11:00 PM
I would assume any argument could've easily happened offscreen. But yes, it does seem it's just a backless tank-top.

What a emphatically non-gendered pejorative for a promiscuous individual. :smallsmile:

(Meant ironically)

FujinAkari
2009-06-28, 11:30 PM
What a skank.

Ex-censored-cuse me?

Zeful
2009-06-28, 11:44 PM
I would assume any argument could've easily happened offscreen. But yes, it does seem it's just a backless tank-top.

What a [censored due to extreme bigotry].

Just because someone doesn't conform to your "holier-than-thou" sexual morality doesn't make them a skank, you'd disagree of course, but if you think wearing clothing that allows for the free movements of one's limbs makes one a skank, then you are one as well.

Optimystik
2009-06-28, 11:51 PM
Guys, she's a stick figure. Is defending her honor really worth insulting other (real) people? I know this is the internet and all, but sheesh.

Knaight
2009-06-28, 11:51 PM
The comment seemed sarcastic to me.

Kalidan
2009-06-28, 11:55 PM
the real question is how does Celia manage to get into her backless top? The bottom of the shirt goes around her waist, and the top goes behind her head, either way she puts it on it would have to make it past her wings... unless of course it's tied on and we simply don't have enough detail to see that.

Kish
2009-06-29, 12:02 AM
Guys, she's a stick figure. Is defending her honor really worth insulting other (real) people? I know this is the internet and all, but sheesh.
I would venture that the assertion that wearing a backless tank top makes a woman a skank merits a negative response (though, of course, not one which violates the rules here, which "then you are one as well" probably does), regardless of the drawing construction, or for that matter the personality (and actually, I'm not sure which character Skim172 even meant, considering the tank top in question belongs to Haley), of the specific character under discussion.

I hope Knaight is right and it was not intended seriously and literally.

Zeful
2009-06-29, 12:03 AM

Celia may be a stick figure, but the remark itself implies a level of sexist thinking that cannot go uncorrected.

Conuly
2009-06-29, 12:03 AM
Haley doesn't strike me as the type who's gonna be pitching a fit about the status of her clothes (or her hair) when she has more important things to worry about.

They spent a week and a day hanging around in Blind Old Pete's basement, braiding their hair and giving each other pedicures. That's a lot of time for cabin fever to progress to petty arguments about clothes.

Now the real question is: What would happen to Celia's wings if they are going through some form of torn or cut tear in cloths and she recieves magical healing????

I... I don't know!

Mending. Simple cantrip. Just get Elan to cast it; we know he can.

Well, I for one, if I were dating Elan, would be unlikely to pass up a chance to hear him tell my clothes "Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit". For whatever reason, I thought that was ridiculously adorable :)

But when he was done the door had clearly been Mended - it had a visible line in it where it had been broken. Would I actually be happy to have that on my clothes? I could just as easily break some other inanimate object.

the real question is how does Celia manage to get into her backless top? The bottom of the shirt goes around her waist, and the top goes behind her head, either way she puts it on it would have to make it past her wings... unless of course it's tied on and we simply don't have enough detail to see that.

Good question. I need to make me a pair of giant wings so I can figure this out. I'm sure there's a way....

Optimystik
2009-06-29, 12:14 AM
Celia may be a stick figure, but the remark itself implies a level of sexist thinking that cannot go uncorrected.

Then by all means correct it, but do so without insulting the person behind that thought. Especially in a thread already being watched by the mods, eh?

Mending. Simple cantrip. Just get Elan to cast it; we know he can.

Celia might know it too. It strikes me as the kind of cantrip she'd pick up, given her fussing over outfits and hair.

Spiky
2009-06-29, 12:24 AM
Of course, if we are going to nitpick, Haley has gone for the bare middle, not for the low back [Her comments about the Nale selected outfit are negative, tho they are mostly made after finding out Elan was Nale.], and so should not have had something in Celia's style.

You are offering a negative proof? About a female's taste, attitude and wardrobe?

That's a bad move, man.

Spiky
2009-06-29, 12:29 AM

Sorry, but men don't use the word skank, generally speaking. That is a woman's word for other women. So how exactly can it be termed sexist?

Not to mention it is Haley's favorite term for certain characters, and no doubt that is the cause of any usage on this forum.

Froogleyboy
2009-06-29, 12:30 AM
What a skank.

HEY! my girlfriend wears backless tops and shes not a . . . Comment retracted

Prak
2009-06-29, 12:30 AM

since when does one need a reason to insult real people?

Zeful
2009-06-29, 12:46 AM
Sorry, but men don't use the word skank, generally speaking. That is a woman's word for other women. So how exactly can it be termed sexist?

Not to mention it is Haley's favorite term for certain characters, and no doubt that is the cause of any usage on this forum.

The same way the N word is racist. It didn't start as a woman's word for women. It was a man's word for women rising above their station, later adopted as a derogatory word women use for other women. What makes it's use stupid, is that it really means "I think you are a women without standards who preforms obscene acts on any male, regardless of disease, health, bearing, or species. I have no reason to believe this other than my own flawed and fanatical biases on what women should be, which you have unknowingly violated by rejecting my advances/ignoring my advances/not treating my with respect due to my flawed belief at being innately superior in every fashion."

In short, by using that, and similar, words, all the speaker has done is prove that they have a deep-seated inferiority complex, that their unnecessarily large ego demands to be covered up.

Dire Ferret
2009-06-29, 12:49 AM

Sarcasm? On the internet?! Clearly you're mad!

skim172
2009-06-29, 12:51 AM

Yeah, pretty much. The ironic tone never translates well on the internet, somehow.

See, by beginning my post with a fair-minded, analytical approach, this provides a stark contrast to the extremely crude, biased remark that came afterwards. The unexpected nature of the second statement plays off the tone of the first, which creates the intended sense of irony.

It's never funny when you have to explain it.

Just because someone doesn't conform to your "holier-than-thou" sexual morality doesn't make them a skank, you'd disagree of course, but if you think wearing clothing that allows for the free movements of one's limbs makes one a skank, then you are one as well.

It was a lighthearted statement, meant with no seriousness, in the spirit of comedic humor. I'm sorry you found it so offensive.

See, I personally never go out without my pilgrim hat with shiny buckles and my Amish suspenders. Hence, I find any woman not wearing three layers of hoop skirts incredibly off-putting. That's my holier-than-thou morality, right there. :smallwink:

In retrospect, a well-placed smiley would've saved me quite a bit of grief.

I'm perfectly willing to go back and edit my usage of the word s*****, but I'm fairly certain it's been used in the comic itself several times.

Zeful
2009-06-29, 12:58 AM
It was a lighthearted statement, meant with no seriousness, in the spirit of comedic humor. I'm sorry you found it so offensive.

See, I personally never go out without my pilgrim hat with shiny buckles and my Amish suspenders. Hence, I find any woman not wearing three layers of hoop skirts incredibly off-putting. That's my holier-than-thou morality, right there. :smallwink:

In retrospect, a well-placed smiley would've saved me quite a bit of grief.

I'm perfectly willing to go back and edit my usage of the word skank, but I'm fairly certain it's been used in the comic itself several times.

Yes, placing a smiley after the second statement would have allowed it to be taken with the tone you meant it in.

And yes "skank" has been used in the comic several times. I just hate the word. I see someone use it on the internet, and I automatically assume you said it about my mother or sister (and due to an actual mitochondrial relation to all women on earth is a decent stance to take) and respond accordingly. Further I've had debates with people playing the "devil's advocate" taking similar stances as your remark erroneously indicated.

skim172
2009-06-29, 01:11 AM
I understand. I have no biases against women. The statement had no intention of saying anything of the sort. I've edited my post. We cool? :smallsmile:

Zeful
2009-06-29, 01:22 AM
I understand. I have no biases against women. The statement had no intention of saying anything of the sort. I've edited my post. We cool? :smallsmile:

You explained you meant it as a joke, that I took badly, due to my own biases. Yeah, we're cool.

DarthCyberWolf
2009-06-29, 02:34 AM
You all have deep-seated emotional problems.:smalltongue:

David Argall
2009-06-29, 03:30 AM

You are advised to find a lass to demonstrate this to you. However..
Girl steps into dress, and pulls it up over hips.
Front of dress is now pulled up.
Girl bends head forward and slips neck of dress over head. Girl returns head to upright and dress is now on without disturbing the wings.
Since the dress is pulled upward, the dress can be rather tight in the chest area. However there are few complaints about this [by men anyway].

Skank-A common definition is "any woman interested in your man". Thus a looser definition would be "any woman who dresses in a way that might interest your man."

Random832
2009-06-29, 06:00 AM

How do you manage to get into a shirt? Either way you put it on (as if you even could step into it) it would have to make it past your arms.

Snake-Aes
2009-06-29, 06:02 AM
Skank-A common definition is "any woman interested in your man". Thus a looser definition would be "any woman who dresses in a way that might interest your man."

Which means every woman for roughly every woman that even leans towards using that word. Except maybe the really ugly ones. Maybe.

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-29, 06:24 AM
obviously, she can cast polymorph any object. its the only explanation. someone should update the class and level geekery thread to reflect this.

Spiky
2009-06-29, 07:41 AM
The same way the N word is racist. It didn't start as a woman's word for women. It was a man's word for women rising above their station, later adopted as a derogatory word women use for other women. What makes it's use stupid, is that it really means "I think you are a women without standards who preforms obscene acts on any male, regardless of disease, health, bearing, or species. I have no reason to believe this other than my own flawed and fanatical biases on what women should be, which you have unknowingly violated by rejecting my advances/ignoring my advances/not treating my with respect due to my flawed belief at being innately superior in every fashion."

In short, by using that, and similar, words, all the speaker has done is prove that they have a deep-seated inferiority complex, that their unnecessarily large ego demands to be covered up.
The N word is racist, no doubt. But that has a well-known etymology from the slavery period in the USA of being a slang form of a different word that originally meant "slacker, lazy". I'd like to see proof that skank (as used by Haley) isn't something that women made up in the 90s to be bitchy to each other. The dictionaries say it comes from Jamaica and stems from certain dances from the 70s originally. I don't see your version at all. There are certainly words that men have used for women, as you defined. This just isn't it.

I think your second paragraph is an excellent example of irony.

rxmd
2009-06-29, 08:29 AM
I'd like to see proof that skank (as used by Haley) isn't something that women made up in the 90s to be bitchy to each other. The dictionaries say it comes from Jamaica and stems from certain dances from the 70s originally. I don't see your version at all. There are certainly words that men have used for women, as you defined. This just isn't it.

In addition:

Etymology doesn't explain anything about whether usage of a word is derogatory or not. Example: the etymology of "nigg*r" is quite harmless, its historical usage is what makes it derogatory.
In order to be sexist, word usage doesn't have to cross gender boundaries. "Fagg*t", for example, is certainly derogatory and sexist, yet is used for men by men. Women can be sexist even when talking about each other. In other word, Haley calling Sabine a skank is certainly sexist, and meant to be so, without men ever entering the equation.
Denouncing another person's derogatory language usage by attributing an inferiority complex to said person is hardly much less derogatory in itself than the vocabulary in question.
And on a different note, forum software blacklisting certain words is somewhat silly IMHO, when you have to write things like "the N word" and everybody still knows what word is being talked about.

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-29, 08:47 AM
I'll never understand why people get so worked up over a stick figure comic. :smallconfused::smallconfused:

the_tick_rules
2009-06-29, 10:51 AM
Techincially any medium size character can wear any medium size clothes. We got into this in a game when my huge half-orc took armor off the body of a petite elf baddy.

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-29, 11:04 AM
Techincially any medium size character can wear any medium size clothes. We got into this in a game when my huge half-orc took armor off the body of a petite elf baddy.

Technically clothes don't have sizes. At all. Seriously (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#clothing). Armor does have a size, however.