PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play... Something?

Jibar
2009-06-28, 10:47 AM
So here's the deal. I'm on my very long gap between College and University and as such have hundreds of hours of free time. Being quite the fan of Let's Plays and wanting to get a good LP community going here I decided I'd set up one to do. This is a joint venture between me and my friends and should show up here in a week or two. It's a video Let's Play though and I also want to do a text one with some user interaction, but what do I play? What do people want to see done?

So, ya know, suggest something.

If you want to suggest a game, keep these things in mind:
1. Nothing scary. Sorry, but I'm a total wuss.
2. If it's on the PC, it's easy to do but I can also handle anything earlier than the Gamecube/PS2.
3. I really want some user interaction so aim for something where other people can contribute.

ImmortalAer
2009-06-28, 10:48 AM
So here's the deal. I'm on my very long gap between College and University and as such have hundreds of hours of free time. Being quite the fan of Let's Plays and wanting to get a good LP community going here I decided I'd set up one to do. This is a joint venture between me and my friends and should show up here in a week or two. It's a video Let's Play though and I also want to do a text one with some user interaction, but what do I play? What do people want to see done?

So, ya know, suggest something.

If you want to suggest a game, keep these things in mind:
1. Nothing scary. Sorry, but I'm a total wuss.
2. If it's on the PC, it's easy to do but I can also handle anything earlier than the Gamecube/PS2.
3. I really want some user interaction so aim for something where other people can contribute.

Let's Play Blastermaster. :smallamused:

If you have it and are willing to do one, I'm amazed. Other than that, I have no idea. I like reading these, though, so best of luck!

toasty
2009-06-28, 10:52 AM
Some sort of RPG.

How about a Fire Emblem Game?

Morty
2009-06-28, 01:31 PM
A Let's Play of Witcher would be awesome, but I think it might qualify as "scary" at times.

Ziren
2009-06-28, 01:34 PM
Let's Play Space Rangers 2.

Do it, or I'll do it.

Winthur
2009-06-28, 01:40 PM
Heroes of Might & Magic 1. Post a picture, and we're playing Succession Game style.

Destro_Yersul
2009-06-28, 02:06 PM
Has anyone done Mass Effect? If not, I recommend that.

shadowxknight
2009-06-28, 03:15 PM
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 or 4.

Quayleman
2009-06-28, 03:28 PM
I second Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (have never played 4)

Linkavitch
2009-06-28, 03:35 PM
How 'bout Paper Mario? Pre-Gamecube/PS2, not scary, RPG, and, since it's going to be the first game I get on VC when I get my Wii next month, tips would be appreciated!

Cespenar
2009-06-28, 03:45 PM
Fallout 1 or 2. Written in a diary/journal/chronicle form.

Athaniar
2009-06-28, 04:19 PM
Either Age of Wonders II or Battlefront II. Or why not GoldenEye 007? If any of these have already been done, please direct me.

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-28, 04:25 PM
Go buy guild wars. It's good for you. :smallannoyed:

Jibar
2009-06-28, 04:27 PM
Fallout 1 or 2. Written in a diary/journal/chronicle form.

Hmmm...
Yessss, I quite like this. I have a good idea for an overarching story and character, though the skills would of course be up for vote...

Has anyone done Mass Effect? If not, I recommend that.

Though I would absolutely love to do a LP for Mass Effect. Unfortunately I think my computer will crap itself into oblivion if I tried to get the PC version working. Maybe when I give my computer the upgrades it deserves.

As for Heroes of Might and Magic, I don't know the series well enough to do it justice guys. I might go grab a copy at some point and play through for a future LP but I don't think a blind run for the internet is a good way to start with an apparently in depth series.

I have also never played Fire Emblem and I feel guilty for this.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-06-28, 05:22 PM
If you're looking for a self-torture Let's Play, I suggest The Game Boy Color Animorphs game. Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but I played the game and... well... I felt like crying.

shadowxknight
2009-06-28, 05:41 PM
Ohhh I'll also recommend the first Age of Wonders.

IMO that one was the best of the series.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-06-28, 06:12 PM
Alternatively, I don't think anybody's done a "Let's Play various Flash Games!"

You could do a new game every update/several updates (dependent on length). It'd be interesting.

Istari
2009-06-28, 06:17 PM
Arcanum, plenty of choices for people to make and a fun older game
or a Mechcommander or Mechwarrior game

Shifty
2009-06-28, 06:22 PM
If you've got the mindset for it, why not try X3: Reunion or Terran Conflict? There's plenty of major decisions to be made, and the pacing of the game allows for it to be done via message board committee. We can be your board of advisors!

Edit: And so people know what it actually IS, X3 is an economically deep space sim. Imagine Wing Commander: Privateer, only more of it. WAY more. You can own your own factories and economic infrastructure, et cetera. Something like Freelancer, which was also cool, only hardcore.

Suzuro
2009-06-28, 06:32 PM
I am going to suggest a game. It may, or may not be a terrible suggestion, but it is one of the hardest games I have played, and beaten: 7th Saga.

-Suzuro

Tengu_temp
2009-06-28, 06:47 PM
I Wanna Be The Guy?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-06-28, 07:03 PM
I Wanna Be The Guy?

No! To quote TVTropes:

Recently, several well-known indie Let's Players have left, or at least put their videos on indefinite hiatus; some fans and fellow Let's Players have dubbed this the "IWBTG curse", due to the fact that several of them have either off-screened or done full Let's Plays of the indie Platform Hell game I Wanna Be The Guy.

Muz
2009-06-28, 07:36 PM
Let's play Deus Ex. :smallbiggrin:

warty goblin
2009-06-28, 07:46 PM
Far Cry 2 could be good. It's reasonably non-linear, so there's plenty of room for player suggestions, and although the entire game revolves around shooting dudes, it is very satisfying. I've considered doing one myself actually. Plus it's fairly easy to avoid dying, which I'd imagine makes writing a cohesive narrative somewhat easier.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl would probably be a stronger choice in the 'Oblivion with guns' subgenre, but that game is freaking terrifying. Most of the sense of "oh god oh god I'm gonna die I'm gonna die what'sthatthingohNOOOOOO!" can be avoided by never, every going underground, but unfortunately one really has to do so in order to advance the game.

Quxelopqr
2009-06-28, 07:48 PM
I am going to suggest a game. It may, or may not be a terrible suggestion, but it is one of the hardest games I have played, and beaten: 7th Saga.

If there would be no objections, I'll do that one. Link to that thread will be here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6385887#post6385887

ImmortalAer
2009-06-28, 07:50 PM
Battlezone II

Do it!

BanjoTheClown
2009-06-28, 11:08 PM
Let's Play... Pokemon Silver/Gold Version?

chiasaur11
2009-06-28, 11:10 PM

Nifty idea.

Lots of potential to vote, great game, varied playthroughs...

Copper8642
2009-06-28, 11:10 PM
Any game in the Ogre Battle series ever. That'd be awesome. In fact, if any of you have ever even heard of that series, I'd love you forever. Please...? *whimper*

chiasaur11
2009-06-28, 11:14 PM
Any game in the Ogre Battle series ever. That'd be awesome. In fact, if any of you have ever even heard of that series, I'd love you forever. Please...? *whimper*

I read an article in Nintendo power about it back in the early 90s.

That good enough?

Copper8642
2009-06-28, 11:21 PM
Um.... you get some mild consideration of being a generally good person. Not full out love, I was looking for a bit more. But that is something.

chiasaur11
2009-06-28, 11:30 PM
Um.... you get some mild consideration of being a generally good person. Not full out love, I was looking for a bit more. But that is something.

Fine. I also read a good deal about Orge Battle 64: Person of lordly calliber and read EGM reviews of the GBA Orge Battle, Knights of the Lodis. Also, I vaguely understand the first game's morality and reputation systems.

Happy?

Quxelopqr
2009-06-28, 11:32 PM
Ogre Battle games are fun, but a little hard to me. I got pretty far on the super nintendo one, but that was a long time ago. I beat tactics (although it isn't a true OB game imo).

Anteros
2009-06-28, 11:32 PM

Well, Tactics Ogre: LUCT was, in my opinion the best game ever made. However, I found the rest of the series to be generally lacking...so you may both love, and hate me simultaneously.

It would be really hard to do a let's play with an Ogre Battle game too...not that there aren't enough decisions, and open-endedness...just that there's too much. It would move at a crawl while waiting on reader input.

Copper8642
2009-06-28, 11:43 PM
Ogre Battle 64 is my favorite game ever, but yes, it would be difficult to actually do an LP on. So... nevermind.

Jibar
2009-06-29, 03:25 AM
I Wanna Be The Guy?

Why do you hate me?

Arcanum, plenty of choices for people to make and a fun older game

I have... problems with Arcanum. I love the setting and the system but good Gawd the combat makes me want to drain the blood from 17 angry poultry and offer it to my lord Gu'Rik in the hope that his dark powers could make it even close to workable.
It hurts.

I don't think people want to see 20 screenshots an update of me running away from anything remotely threatening until I happen to end up behind them and smack them around the back of the head.
Or watch me kill myself with a gas grenade eight times in a row.

I never played Gold/Silver, so I'm waiting for the remake to come out.

Ogre Battle got kind of jossed, though for the record I have heard of it.

Far Cry 2 could be good. It's reasonably non-linear, so there's plenty of room for player suggestions, and although the entire game revolves around shooting dudes, it is very satisfying. I've considered doing one myself actually. Plus it's fairly easy to avoid dying, which I'd imagine makes writing a cohesive narrative somewhat easier.

That's another example of my computer forming a vendetta against me, unfortunately.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl would probably be a stronger choice in the 'Oblivion with guns' subgenre, but that game is freaking terrifying. Most of the sense of "oh god oh god I'm gonna die I'm gonna die what'sthatthingohNOOOOOO!" can be avoided by never, every going underground, but unfortunately one really has to do so in order to advance the game.

...:smalleek:
You seem to know a lot about S.T.A.L.K.E.R though if other threads are any indication, have you considered doing a Let's Play for it? The game's always interested me but I can never find a copy.

I'll admit I was sold on the idea of Fallout 2 as soon as I read it. Though a lot of these games would make for interesting LPs if anyone else wants to start one.
(Jibar loves his LPs)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-06-29, 06:07 AM

Pokemon's too overdone.

Also, love your Luso avatar.

You could do Final Fantasy Tactics A2, by the way. But that's DS.

Morty
2009-06-29, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=Jibar;6389228
That's another example of my computer forming a vendetta against me, unfortunately.
[/QUOTE]

Which means The Witcher is out as well, I guess.

Gamerlord
2009-06-29, 09:06 AM
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 or 4.
I third that statement, it has been to long for that game to not have a lets play.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-06-29, 09:41 AM
I was thinking of doing one of Master of Orion 2.

warty goblin
2009-06-29, 10:31 AM

That is unfortunate, since the game's a lot of fun.

...:smalleek:
You seem to know a lot about S.T.A.L.K.E.R though if other threads are any indication, have you considered doing a Let's Play for it? The game's always interested me but I can never find a copy.

If you don't like scary games, do not play Shadow of Chernobyl. I played a bit of it last night (the level leading up to, and a portion of the brain scorcher), and I don't think I've been that scared in years. Allow me to explain.

My mission was to turn off the brain scorcher, which has the disturbing tendancy to turn people into zombies. Getting to the Red Forest itself is more than a bit of an odyssey, but I'll leave out my Military Warehouse shenanigans for the sake of brevity.

The beginning of Red Forest is a rather odd level for S.T.A.L.K.E.R., feeling like a sort of refugee from a Call of Duty game, with the single road and scores of bad guys waiting around to be killed. Of course this makes the firefights even more punishingly difficult than usual, since there's very little room to maneuvre, and much of the pathable terrain is sufficiently radioactive to kill me inside of a minute- particularly next to all the derelict vehicles. Eventually however I fight my way through the hordes of Monolith dudes. At some point the effects of the brainscorcher begin to overload my crude protective apperatus, and the entire gameworld goes all film-grainy and washed out- not a good sign. Then I take a left off the road, and enter a swampy region.

This isn't simply a pleasure jaunt though. I've got the coordinates of a downed helicopter, which supposedly contains some valuable loot. It's then that the weird stuff starts. I get the loot, which isn't that great, just a special forces sniper rifle (silenced, firing 9x45mm subsonic AP rounds) and a box of afformentioned ammo, when I'm attacked by a sort of mutant wolf thing. So far so normal. Then my vision goes completely greyscale, and mutant wolf things start to climb pretty much out of the woodwork. I suspect them to be an illusion of some sort, since they disappear in a flash whenever shot, but they certainly can rip my face off. Once I pop a bullet into all of the phantom hounds, my vision returns to 'normal,' which is to say washed out and with sparkly bits everywhere from the brain scorcher. Intrigued, I press on deeper into the swampy region.

This is when the slow, creepy dread begins to set in. The swamp is completely and utterly silent, and my vision is still sort of sepia toned. It's also a very, very inhospitible looking place. I have another encounter with the white vision, and the phantom mutant wolves, apparently triggered by being seen by a real mutant wolf. Apparently the brain scorcher causes some sort of mind-meld between me and the wolf, whereby I directly participate in a deep-seated canine memory of a lone man being torn to pieces and eaten by the pack. Since there's no pack, the scorcher creates one, in my head, and presumably in the 'real' wolf's head as well.

I adopt a new policy- shoot wolves in head before they can see me. At least I don't share in that experience.

Having explored the swamp, I move on up the road, killing a few dozen more enemies. The dominant faction here, Monolith, has a lot of people, but very poor armor and only intermediate weaponry. This makes it easy to kill them, so long as one is good at head/center of mass shots and possesses a reasonably accurate weapon. I have what amounts to an M16A4 under a different name with scope and grenade launcher, which makes them easy pickings.

About now I notice that there's a constant background sound of gunfire and grunts of pain. Not like a nearby battle, it's more muffled than that. Then I notice the ghostly mutants swarming towards me- pseudodogs, snorks, mutant rats, and those horrible, tumor shaped pig monsters. Panicking, I shoot a few of them, and they disappear in a swirl of yellowish vapor. The ghost of a bloodsucker reaches out and grabs me, only to scream and evaporate.

It's at this point that I figure it out. I've been wading through radiation in a constant running battle for so long now my mind must be near the breaking point. I've killed hundreds, if not thousands of people, and more mutated wildlife than I care to contemplate. The scorcher, picking up on my exhaustion and unstable mental state, is simply replaying all the things I've killed.

Now I'm starting to seriously freak out. The sepia toned sparklies in the landscape have increased as well, making it hard to tell the real from the unreal. I stagger around a bit more, and finally find the entrance to the underground bunker.

Underground my vision returns to normal, apparently insulated by the concrete and soil. I'm in a sort of deserted laboratory structure. Indeed it seems almost completely deserted, there's the occasional anomoly, but that's it. The silence is oppressing, but I press forwards.

It's then that I hear the growling. You learn quickly in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to type animals by noise, and the least pleasant enemy in the game makes this sound- the bloodsucker. The bloodsucker is a corpse-like mutant, tan in color, with deeply bowed legs, and four tentacles in place of a mouth. These tentacles are horribly, vividly red. Worse, it can become invisible at will- even when tearing at you with terrible long arms and sharp claws. In the open, under the sun it is dangerous, although the better light makes it easier to spot the telltale ripples of color that seethe over its skin when invisible. But here, in the enclosed dark, it's a very, very dangerous foe. I move my assault rifle to fully automatic, and press forwards.

The bloodsucker charges, and I burn an entire 30 round magazine of 5.56mm NATO into it before it kills me. As the camera pulls back to show my body slumping down to the floor and the words "Game over" appear, I see the bloodsucker bend down to feed on it's fresh kill.

I quit and go play the Trine demo for a few moments in an attempt to get that final, horrible, slurping noise out of my head.

Jibar
2009-06-29, 10:46 AM
Huh. Actually, S.T.A.L.K.E.R is older than I thought. I reckon I could run that, though it wouldn't be all that pretty.
It's sounds terrifying but, damn, it also sounds awesome.
*Away to Amazon*

And in case you hadn't noticed, I started a Fallout 2 LP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116615), but I seriously recommend someone LPs some of these suggestions as they all sound good.

Duke of URL
2009-06-29, 11:07 AM
Looking through the LP archive, I can't believe no one's done an LP for Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, or XII yet.

Also, I imagine that Kingdom Hearts (I or II) would be prime fodder for an LP.

Haven
2009-06-30, 01:37 PM
Planescape: Torment. :smallamused:

Comet
2009-06-30, 04:48 PM
Glaciers, Mammoths and Steam Engines! Let's Play Transarctica!
Please....anybody? :smallbiggrin: