PDA

View Full Version : Non-transparency psionic monsters

Yora
2009-06-28, 11:12 AM
For my campaign, I want to have aberrations as a kind extremely dangerous horror beings. To make them really weired, I want to make psionic abilities into supernatural abilities instead of spell-like abilities. They still don't work in antimagic areas, but they completely ignore Spell Resistance, resistance against magic or enchantment effects, protective spells, and the like.
That would make psionic characters extremely difficult, so lets just focus on the monsters now.

The idea is, that anyone who fights with psionic monsters only have their saves, but all other defenses against magic are useless. Even mind blank or Spell Reistance is completely ignored by psionic attacks. Magical effects that increase your general saves however do work, as they don't try to counter the psionic effect but instead increase your own natural resources.
That certainly makes such creatures much more dangerous and requires other tactics to use against them.
And that's my problem: What other tactics?

Let's say we have a situation in which the PCs realize all the trouble is caused by a monster, against wich all their magical defenses are useless. They have to take some frightening defeats, but eventually should be able to figure out how to defeat the beast.
One idea I have would be to make use of obscure non-magical substances or alchemical elixirs. The idea of havinf the PCs getting totally hammeered to become immune against mind control does have it's merits.

Another twist is, that though many aberrations have Spell Reistance, this also does not protect them against psionics, and they don't have any Psi-Resistance. So they are as vulnerable against psionic attacks as everyone else. But the only way to exploit that weakness, that comes to my mind, would be allying with other aberrations, and I think that's not a good idea to do on a regular basis.

So, does anyone have any ideas how to fight a monster, which ignores almost all your magical defenses? Introducing new mechanics to the game is just fine, as long as they are reasonably simple enough.