PDA

View Full Version : Bone Devil Battery

The Gilded Duke
2009-06-28, 11:24 AM
Setting up the Battery

The Spell Compendium has the spell Energy Transformation Field. A permanant 7th level sorc/wizard area spell that costs only 250 xp. Whenever a non disjunction non AMF spell is cast within the Transformation Field the spell is absorbed and the Field gains the spell levels as points. Once the Field has enough points it casts the spell that is tied to it.

It keeps doing this but has a few limitations.
It cannot cast spells with xp components.
It cannot have a costly material component.
If it is a targeted spell it effects the closest target.
It will only cast if the duration of the previous casting has expired.
The Field can concentrate on a spell at the cost of 1 spell level an hour.

So what you can do is this.
Create an Energy Transformation Field tied to Summon Monster 9 set to create Bone Devils. Cast some spells in the field to get the summoning started.

1d4+1 Bone Devils will be summoned.
Have your Bone Devils all cast Greater Teleport while in the Transformation Field.
The Transformation Field gains (1d4+1)x7 spell levels in the first turn, more then enough to cast Summon Monster 9 again to make more Bone Devils.

So you just have this process repeat and you constantly have 1d4+1 Bone Devils.

Using the Battery
Your 1d4+1 Bone Devils only need one round to recharge their own summoning. For the other 19 rounds (assuming CL 20) they can cast Greater Teleport in other Energy Transformation fields. If you want you can assume they use 1 round to Teleport to the new field.

Possible spells to be powered by the Bone Devil Battery:
Wall of Stone (One every round)
Shades
Summon Nature's Ally 9 (To create Djinns to then create food and wine)
Summon Undead
Greater Planar Binding
Unseen Crafter (RoE)

Not sure what else might work with this. If there was some way to get an assembly line going of summoning angels through planar binding, killing them, and then turning them into zombies or skeletons that would be great.

shadow_archmagi
2009-06-28, 06:38 PM
Wow. 77 views in 7 hours and no replies. How sad.

This is actually a cool idea, though. SO the basic idea is

"When I cast a spell here, it activates another spell."

and then we extrapolate "I summon a demon, activating the devil-summoner, and when the devils appear, they use magic, which powers the devil-summer more."

I'm going to guess that Fabricate is a good option here; as long as you have some continuous source of materials, you could make an assembly line using these things.

Orran
2009-06-28, 06:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt a bone devils greater teleport an SLA? And therefore cannot fuel this since it needs to be a spell. Have it summon couatls or solars instead, they get actual spell slots.

Kyeudo
2009-06-28, 06:43 PM
One small step further into the Tippyverse.

holywhippet
2009-06-28, 06:44 PM
Will that work though? They have greater teleport as a spell like ability, they aren't actually casting a spell.

The Gilded Duke
2009-06-28, 07:07 PM
Ah forgot to mention that, it counts spell like abilities, and supernatural abilities as spells. It also counts magic items as spells for purposes of absorption. If its a magic item without a clear spell level, then it counts the first required spell for creation for the spell level. If it is a Supernatural ability that isn't spell based it uses hit dice for spell level.

I was originally going to use Elder Air Elementals with their Su Whirlwind but they can only activate it once every 24 minutes. Bone Devils have one of the best returns on investment from what I have seen so far.

Fabricate looks great. I thought that spell had an expensive material component. One other thing that looks like it has potential to be abused:

It says that a single spell can be linked to the field. Do you have to cast the spell? Can another person cast it? Can it be cast from a scroll?

Hat-Trick
2009-06-28, 07:48 PM
A scroll should be kosher, but I'm not sure about another person casting a spell. It could work, but I don't know the basic mechanics of the spell used in this abusive fiasco. It might allow it, it might not.

shadow_archmagi
2009-06-28, 08:59 PM
Ah forgot to mention that, it counts spell like abilities, and supernatural abilities as spells. It also counts magic items as spells for purposes of absorption. If its a magic item without a clear spell level, then it counts the first required spell for creation for the spell level. If it is a Supernatural ability that isn't spell based it uses hit dice for spell level.

I was originally going to use Elder Air Elementals with their Su Whirlwind but they can only activate it once every 24 minutes. Bone Devils have one of the best returns on investment from what I have seen so far.

Fabricate looks great. I thought that spell had an expensive material component. One other thing that looks like it has potential to be abused:

It says that a single spell can be linked to the field. Do you have to cast the spell? Can another person cast it? Can it be cast from a scroll?

The expensive material component is the target. Obviously you cannot turn bricks into houses without having bricks first, and because of the wonky craft rules, those bricks will cost exactly half as much as the finished house. I'm not sure if that says more about housing prices or the value of a good brick.