PDA

View Full Version : Suggest name for a game system

Eerie
2009-06-28, 11:47 AM
I`m planning to make a new game system, so obviously, before I start, I need a cool name. :smallbiggrin:

It will be fantasy, skill-based RPG, and aiming to be more flexible and coherent than D&D. Also with less rules.

Anyway, I`d like to hear some ideas. Just, please, no more S&S, C&C, M&M etc. Too much is too much. :smallamused:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-28, 12:02 PM
I`m planning to make a new game system, so obviously, before I start, I need a cool name. :smallbiggrin:

It will be fantasy, skill-based RPG, and aiming to be more flexible and coherent than D&D. Also with less rules.

Anyway, I`d like to hear some ideas. Just, please, no more S&S, C&C, M&M etc. Too much is too much. :smallamused:

I think you're doing this in the wrong order. I'd make at least part of the system first, so you know what to emphasize. All of my homebrew systems were done in that manner except G7...since with G7 I knew from the beginning exactly what form the system was taking (a 7 level revision of D&D 3.5, D&D 4e, and E6). The others (ROYAL and Cinema, which may both pop here in due time) had their concepts and mechanics done ahead of time, so I knew where the focus was.

At the very least, we need to know more about your idea at the moment. It currently sounds incredibly generic, simply because you've told us nothing other than what one might find in any fantasy game.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-28, 12:52 PM
I agree with Djinn. The ruleset is far more of a priority than the name. For example, I started a game system based exclusively on 12-sided dice. Now, after working on it for over a year, I needed a better name than just "D12". By the time I really needed a name, I had a clear idea of what the game was about, & could pick one easily & move on.

Another problem with choosing a name at the beginning of the process is that it either stifles creativity, or the name becomes irrelevant & needs to be changed. You can be constrained by the name, forcing the mechanics & fluff to fit within your name's boundaries. Or you can make what you want, but you'll probably find that your name doesn't really cover what you've created, making the exercise fruitless.

In any case, let the name go for now, & go make a good game. People will play a fun game, regardless of its title.

Pronounceable
2009-06-28, 03:47 PM
My system. It works.

Eerie
2009-06-28, 03:51 PM
Mates, you are taking it too serious. :smallsmile:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-28, 04:02 PM
Mates, you are taking it too serious. :smallsmile:

Not really. We just can't suggest anything without knowing at least something more than what's been suggested.

That said, it is possible that you're right...but that may be because Zeta and I take our homebrewing very seriously, and I've found cnsvnc to be very to the point at times. :smallbiggrin:

Connor Darkdart
2009-06-28, 04:06 PM
In any case, let the name go for now, & go make a good game. People will play a fun game, regardless of its title.

Would you play a game called 2 Girls 1 Cup?

On topic:

*nods head to what Djinn and Zeta said*

Eerie
2009-06-28, 04:43 PM
Not really. We just can't suggest anything without knowing at least something more than what's been suggested.

Oh, please. What "Dungeons and Dragons" tells you about the game? Practically every fantasy game can have dungeons and dragons. Hell, CoC can have them. :smallamused:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-28, 04:50 PM
Oh, please. What "Dungeons and Dragons" tells you about the game? Practically every fantasy game can have dungeons and dragons. Hell, CoC can have them. :smallamused:

True. That said, it was an industry starter...there was little to no competition, and thus no need to have a name that distinguished it from the opposition. Since then, it's become an industry standard with name recognition. Yours won't have that advantage...thus, generic probably isn't the way to go.

And who knows? Some fantasy games don't fit predetermined standards. Some may not have dragons, or dungeons. So you can see why more information is necessary.

Is it really that difficult to give us a more thorough look at your concept, or any ideas you have? If you want a name first, that's what we need.

Satyr
2009-06-28, 04:56 PM
Anyway, I`d like to hear some ideas. Just, please, no more S&S, C&C, M&M etc. Too much is too much.

I can't say that mentioning S&S in one breath with some real systems doesn't make me proud somehow...

...but perhaps I should also make a productive contribution: Take the name of your setting. Add a small moniqer like "legends of...", "heroes of...", "tales of..." etc. to it. And you're done.
If you don't have a setting, but only some more generic rules, take the element that makes your system unique (and if it's not going to be unique, go ask yourself why not) and use it as the base, like "Legends of the Five Rings" or "D20".

FeAnPi
2009-06-28, 05:05 PM
There was once -now the story is finished- here in Italy a fine comic; the story featured a group of time-pirates, called "Organizzazione" ("organization", meant as "organized group"); the main character ironized about that name, but one of the leaders of the group replyed that names serve to distinguish things... their organization was unique, so it was the Organization.

The same is true for D&D: once it was the only game that featured dungeons and dragons, so it was named Dungeons & Dragons.

But now a name needs to be choose wisely, to distinguish your RPG from the others. So, think to your game as you are going to write it: the name will come to your mind. At least, for my games it always happened.

Jane_Smith
2009-06-28, 05:15 PM
Runes and Glyphs, Arcanium, Bladestorm, World of War (-cough- craft -cough-), etc... >.>

Eerie
2009-06-28, 05:26 PM
True. That said, it was an industry starter...there was little to no competition, and thus no need to have a name that distinguished it from the opposition. Since then, it's become an industry standard with name recognition. Yours won't have that advantage...thus, generic probably isn't the way to go.

It`s always generic with brands. You can`t explain anything in one word. What you need is a catchy name. Like D&D, or Coca-Cola. :smalltongue:

Is it really that difficult to give us a more thorough look at your concept, or any ideas you have? If you want a name first, that's what we need.

OK. It is going to be skill-based, with extensive skill trees. The trees will be divided into 3 categories with separate pool of action points for each: Body, Mind and Soul. Body for physical skills, Mind for intellectual and Soul for emotional and magical.

Jane_Smith
2009-06-28, 05:27 PM
-cough- Fable -cough-. Going for Body, Will and Skill? :P

Knaight
2009-06-28, 06:45 PM
Funny, seemed to remind me more of Tri Stat, which actually uses Body, Mind, and Soul, if I remember correctly. I was almost tempted to sarcastically suggest the name "Triangle".

Owrtho
2009-06-28, 06:55 PM
How about Secrets & Monsters?
Anyways, I'd have to agree that the system should be better defined before a name is chosen. Also I'd note that many systems are named more for the content than the mechanics. After all, names like dungeons and dragons, Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun, etc. don't tell you about the rule system that they use, but what you expect to have come up when playing the game.

Owrtho

Pronounceable
2009-06-28, 10:17 PM
That said, it is possible that you're right...but that may be because Zeta and I take our homebrewing very seriously, and I've found cnsvnc to be very to the point at times. :smallbiggrin:
It works.

Also I'd note that many systems are named more for the content than the mechanics.
This is basically true. Off hand, d20 is the one system springs to mind that was named after the mechanics.

Eerie
2009-06-29, 01:36 AM
Funny, seemed to remind me more of Tri Stat, which actually uses Body, Mind, and Soul, if I remember correctly. I was almost tempted to sarcastically suggest the name "Triangle".

In my case, Body, Mind, and Soul will be action point pools, not stats. I`m actually thinking of getting rid of stats entirely.

Eerie
2009-06-29, 01:46 AM

Nahh. :smalltongue: Another "Something & Otherthing"/

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-29, 06:16 AM

Oh.

OH.

:smalleek:

I see what you did there.

:smallbiggrin:

UserClone
2009-06-29, 11:43 AM
Took me a half a second there, but so did I. Clever.

Eerie
2009-06-29, 01:38 PM
How about this one: "Big Dungeon of Secret Monsters". :smallwink:

Jane_Smith
2009-06-29, 03:13 PM
How about .... Cloaks and Daggers? :smallbiggrin:

Eerie
2009-06-29, 03:31 PM
How about .... Cloaks and Daggers? :smallbiggrin:

Seems to imply an emphasis on stealth...

Grey Paladin
2009-06-29, 03:35 PM
The Game

Alternatively, Game: The losing of

erikun
2009-06-29, 07:00 PM
Eerie Dungeons? :smallwink:

mikeejimbo
2009-06-29, 07:05 PM

I got it right away. Tells you about my mind anyway.

I wholeheartedly second this one.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-29, 07:39 PM
Well, without knowing anything about your system or setting (& suspecting that you don't either), I would choose something short, simple, & dynamic by default. It is a shame that Fable is taken, actually. Here are my suggestions, based on my assumptions of what you might be looking for:

Secret Saga

Myth of Ages

Arcanus Obscuri

Kiren
2009-06-29, 07:45 PM
Heroes and Villains of Legends and Lore

If used, just check to make sure its not used elsewhere.

erikun
2009-06-29, 08:13 PM
Heroes and Enemies of Legend and Lore? :smallbiggrin:

Jane_Smith
2009-06-29, 08:34 PM
Remembered Realms?

Pronounceable
2009-06-29, 09:27 PM
Sparrownest?

Triscape?

Graypigeon?

Girthright?

mikeejimbo
2009-06-29, 09:32 PM
The Game System Previously Known As

Maerok
2009-06-29, 09:33 PM
'Grasshopper'; you get an epic name when you produce an epic game. So stop dawdling.

Ichneumon
2009-06-30, 01:00 AM
What about: Tuesday?

"The universal epic system for daring adventurerers-" yawn....

The game system you can play all days of the week.

Eerie
2009-06-30, 05:45 AM
Heroes and Villains of Legends and Lore

If used, just check to make sure its not used elsewhere.

Too long. Doesn`t roll off the tongue.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-30, 08:29 AM
Too long. Doesn`t roll off the tongue.

You could just use the acronym: H.a.V.o.L.a.L. That could even be the name of your setting's planet or continent.

Also, what did you think of my last three suggestions?

ImmortalAer
2009-06-30, 08:34 AM
Swords and Sorcery!

Triosceles. Trigrammic. Trigonometry.
Trihilium Knights.
Traglafarian Torques. Trillium.

:smallconfused:

*hands you a dictionary* I'm sure that the name is in there somewhere. You just have to rearrange it.

J.Gellert
2009-06-30, 10:11 AM
It's actually a serious problem. Every time I try to come up with a name for my campaign & houserules, I google it, and find out it's taken. Every time.

(90% chance to be taken by some obscure metal band. :smalltongue:)

Zeta Kai
2009-06-30, 10:32 AM
(90% chance to be taken by some obscure metal band. :smalltongue:)

I think you can safely ignore obscure metal bands when it comes to this problem. You can safely call your game system Crematory, Iced Earth, Apocaliptica, King Diamond, Rhapsody, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, or Memory Garden without risk of getting sued. Trust me, nobody cares if your game shares a name with 5 guys from Denmark with feathered hair & sword-guitars.

Eerie
2009-06-30, 10:45 AM
You could just use the acronym: H.a.V.o.L.a.L. That could even be the name of your setting's planet or continent.

Also, what did you think of my last three suggestions?

H.a.V.e.a.L.o.L would sound good... :smallbiggrin:

Secret Saga
Myth of Ages
Arcanus Obscuri

They seems to lack something...

Actuallu, since I plan skill trees to be a part of my system, I`m thinking maybe of incorporating the words "tree" or "forest" in the name. Any ideas?

Zeta Kai
2009-06-30, 10:52 AM
Two pages & over 40 posts into the thread, & we finally have something to base the name on.

Sylvan Saga

Eloel
2009-06-30, 10:59 AM
Two pages & over 40 posts into the thread, & we finally have something to base the name on.

Sylvan Saga

Ignoring post # 13, which told of the skill trees.

Also,

The System With Skill Trees

Eerie
2009-06-30, 11:11 AM

Well, I thought you people don`t need a hook... :smalltongue:

Sylvan Saga

You love the word "Saga", don`t you? :smallsmile:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-30, 11:22 AM
Well, I thought you people don`t need a hook... :smalltongue:

We don't...when working for ourselves. But if you need to approve something...well...we're not mind readers. Or at least, I'm not (Zeta I've never been sure about...).

And, personally, I like to keep names simple.

The Forest
Branches of Fortune
Yggdrasil

Of those, I like the last one best. In fact...I may need to use that for something eventually...

Jane_Smith
2009-06-30, 11:52 AM
No.. bad jane... resist! You must RESIST.... ok I failed my will save.

Bigwood :smallbiggrin:

Ichneumon
2009-06-30, 12:37 PM
So, you don't like the name Tuesday?

mikeejimbo
2009-06-30, 12:38 PM
How about Silva Alearum?

Whoa, is Alearum correct? It looks weird. Is alea not first declension? Or did I decline it incorrectly?

Eerie
2009-06-30, 01:08 PM
So, you don't like the name Tuesday?

I`d prefer Wednesday.

Eerie
2009-06-30, 01:11 PM
How about Silva Alearum?

Whoa, is Alearum correct? It looks weird. Is alea not first declension? Or did I decline it incorrectly?

Is it Forest of Dice? Or Wooden Dice? Playing with a huge wooden dice sure will be fun...

lesser_minion
2009-06-30, 01:23 PM
I agree with the idea of using some variation on Alea, actually.

Horrific mutated latin follows:

alea arcana.

Of course, that throws out the tree/forest/wooden theme.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-30, 01:29 PM
Yggdrasil

Seconded. I like this one. You could tell quite a saga in a setting named that. :smallwink:

Also, I don't read minds. My mental powers include rapid-fire homebrewing, brainstorms, & multitasking, but no mind-reading. Yet. Check again after my next level gain. :smallbiggrin:

ericgrau
2009-06-30, 01:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDCg5_-QFgg&feature=PlayList&p=StXeLz0CRAQ#t=8m39s

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-30, 01:51 PM
Seconded. I like this one. You could tell quite a saga in a setting named that. :smallwink:

Hence why I was hesitate about not stealing it immediately myself. I may still do so, in fact, unless he can persuade me to part with the idea. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I don't read minds. My mental powers include rapid-fire homebrewing, brainstorms, & multitasking, but no mind-reading. Yet. Check again after my next level gain. :smallbiggrin:

Hmmm...we may be leveling in the same class, Zeta. Unfortunately, I think the Capstone is "Actually Finishes At Least Half Of These Damned Projects..."

And, sadly, I have a few levels to go before I reach that happy state. :smallbiggrin:

Eerie
2009-06-30, 03:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDCg5_-QFgg&feature=PlayList&p=StXeLz0CRAQ#t=8m39s

This is awesome.

How about "Sorcery and Salmonella"?

Eerie
2009-06-30, 03:17 PM
I agree with the idea of using some variation on Alea, actually.

Horrific mutated latin follows:

alea arcana.

Of course, that throws out the tree/forest/wooden theme.

According to this dictionary (http://www.latin-dictionary.net/q/english/forest.html), forest is also Nemus\Nemoris. Sylva sounds too similar to JRRT`s sylvan elfs...

How about Arbor Phantasiae?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-30, 03:38 PM
According to this dictionary (http://www.latin-dictionary.net/q/english/forest.html), forest is also Nemus\Nemoris. Sylva sounds too similar to JRRT`s sylvan elfs...

How about Arbor Phantasiae?

See, here's my problem with overly evocative names. I know Arbor means trees, and Phantasiae is a strange word that, without thinking heavily on the matter (I do actually know what it means, but it's not my day-to-day vocabulary), gives connotations of being Phantasmal or Fantastical.

So this means that, to someone looking quickly at your system, it's name is, roughly Tree Phantasm. I now expect a world fitting around that concept, which is what the more evocative game names (World of Darkness, Shadowrun, Paranoia, and so forth) usually entail.

If you want to make a more generic system, I'd recommend a more generic name. If you want to emphasize a natural, high-magic, nature-mage heavy sort of game, Arbor Phantasiae would work well.

Eerie
2009-06-30, 03:46 PM
Well, I just tried to translate "Fantastic Tree" or "Tree of Fantasy" to latin, because Latin is Better (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CanisLatinicus).

And yeah, I`m also thinking of brewing a setting for the system, one that would involve some sort of magical tree. :smallamused:

Lord Loss
2009-06-30, 03:53 PM
(Woods, forest or tree in Latin) 's Children

Or Yggsadril's Legacy

mikeejimbo
2009-06-30, 03:59 PM
(Woods, forest or tree in Latin) 's Children

Oh! How about Filii Aleae?

Children of the Die? Better for a generic system, and as you said, Latin is Better. (In fact, much like pirates, it makes everything better.)

Eerie
2009-06-30, 04:02 PM
Oh! How about Filii Aleae?

Filiialeae. Or just Filial. :smallbiggrin:

Children of the Die? Better for a generic system, and as you said, Latin is Better. (In fact, much like pirates, it makes everything better.)

Hmmmm...

How do you say "pirates" in latin?

Ichneumon
2009-06-30, 04:03 PM
What about simply <your name>'s System?

Eerie
2009-06-30, 04:16 PM
What about simply <your name>'s System?

Too vain. Also, my name does not really rolls off the tongue.

J.Gellert
2009-06-30, 04:46 PM
I think you can safely ignore obscure metal bands when it comes to this problem. You can safely call your game system Crematory, Iced Earth, Apocaliptica, King Diamond, Rhapsody, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, or Memory Garden without risk of getting sued. Trust me, nobody cares if your game shares a name with 5 guys from Denmark with feathered hair & sword-guitars.

I don't think I'll get sued, I'd just like my setting to come first when you search Google, and not some band (and when I said obscure, I didn't mean any of the above) :D Having a unique name guarantees that you become easy to find.

On the other hand, I once made a modification for a RTS game, and "borrowed" the name from a LOTR TCG expansion. Now when you search google, the mod comes up first. So if it's taken from a very obscure usage, you can probably outdo it... :smallwink:

mikeejimbo
2009-06-30, 04:50 PM
Filiialeae. Or just Filial. :smallbiggrin:

Hmmmm...

How do you say "pirates" in latin?

Piratae (Pirata in the singular. Note that it is first declension but masculine, like poeta, nauta, agricola.)

Although according to my Oxford Latin dictionary you can also use praedo maritimus, though that would roughly translate "sea brigand." You could just use praedo, praedonis.

SwordGoddess
2009-06-30, 05:58 PM
Hence why I was hesitate about not stealing it immediately myself. I may still do so, in fact, unless he can persuade me to part with the idea. :smallbiggrin:

Hmmm...we may be leveling in the same class, Zeta. Unfortunately, I think the Capstone is "Actually Finishes At Least Half Of These Damned Projects..."

And, sadly, I have a few levels to go before I reach that happy state. :smallbiggrin:

Although, a setting or the like with the name Yggdrasil needs a really badass logo/presentation.

Maaan...now I'm wishing someone would whip up a homebrew campaign setting JUST for that name...something based on Norse Mythology...:smallwink:

Zeta Kai
2009-06-30, 08:01 PM

Oh, I have epic levels in that class. :smallwink:

Waspinator
2009-06-30, 09:41 PM
Yggdrasil: the Whirled Tree
"Where all of your expectations get turned around."

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-01, 08:22 AM
Oh.

OH.

:smalleek:

I see what you did there.

:smallbiggrin:
I don't get it. Do I want to?

As for a name...hm. What're the big monsters and places going to be? D&D was named for that.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-01, 11:08 AM
I don't get it. Do I want to?

You might not, but I feel that it's my duty to educate the youth of the world before the pr0n sitez do. If you're old enough to know, open the spoiler:

Are you sure you wanna know?You'll find out someday anyway, I guess.Last chance...

Owrtho was refering to S&M, which is sado-masochism. S&M is a nebulous & highly-varied collection of sexual practices, ranging from low-level kinks (such as spanking) to borderline illegal-activities (involving whips, chains, & other torture paraphernalia). It basically has to do with the juxtaposition of power inequalities during sex, & the pleasure derived from giving or recieving pain.

For more information, type "S&M" into Wikipedia; it's far safer than anything you can easily obtain from a Google search on the subject. Good luck, be safe out there.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-01, 12:14 PM
Although, a setting or the like with the name Yggdrasil needs a really badass logo/presentation.

Maaan...now I'm wishing someone would whip up a homebrew campaign setting JUST for that name...something based on Norse Mythology...:smallwink:

Hmmm...time for a project, perhaps? I'll think about this.

Maybe a community project, so that I have some time to work on things myself...

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-01, 01:01 PM
Name it Acorn

Means absolutly nothing, but implies growth into a good thing. Fans of the short lived Dilbert TV series know what I'm talking about.

Eerie
2009-07-01, 01:10 PM
Name it Acorn

Means absolutly nothing, but implies growth into a good thing. Fans of the short lived Dilbert TV series know what I'm talking about.

I watched the chapter. I prefer Salmonella, actually.

Or... Grand Dungeon Master 6000. :smallbiggrin:

Eerie
2009-07-03, 08:47 AM
Here is the list of Fantasy RPGs from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fantasy_role-playing_games

And most of them are kinda meh. It`s either names from the setting, abbreviations or worse.

Words to avoid like fire: Fantasy, Game, Role, Poleplay, Sorcerer, Wizard, Blade, Sword, War, Quest, Shadow, Rune and everything that begins with "Arcan".

mcv
2009-07-03, 10:27 AM
Seems to imply an emphasis on stealth...

Thats hoew it works, IMO. Find something that's iconic for your system, that little kernel of something that it's really about. Use that as a name.

If it emphasises stealth over straight up combat, Cloak and Daggers is a great name. For D&D, for example, dungeoncrawls and big monsters are iconic, so Dungeons & Dragons makes for a great name.

I recently discovered a game that, while it has magic (and really scary, powerful, unbalanced magic at that), is mostly about fighting styles. It has a fast but very realistic combat system, and allows for very different fighting styles. It feels a bit Conaney, and it's called The Riddle of Steel. It's a bit more cryptic and mysterious, but it works.

It works for bigger games too. What are Vampire and Werewolf really about? Being vampires and werewolves, of curse!

So find out what makes your system or setting special. What makes it different from any other game. What is it really about? And turn that into a name.