PDA

View Full Version : 4e: Chameleon PP from EPG: Useful, or no?

Grynning
2009-06-28, 12:33 PM
So, I've always been a huge fan of Changelings, and I'm slowly trying to figure out ideas for my first Changeling character of 4th ed. I usually like racial paragon paths, and the Chameleon seems like a really cool idea, but the more I think about it, would it actually help a party?

The point of versatility is to fill gaps in the party when needed (like the 3rd ed Factotum and Chameleon PrC). The new Chameleon only allows you to imitate abilities your party already has, so what do you actually contribute? I can see it being decent for Striker builds, mixing and matching the best damage augmentation stuff from among your party members, but for other roles, it seems that it really wouldn't allow for a whole lot of that troubleshooter feel.

Are there any ways to really get some good use out of the PP, or should I look elsewhere?

Kurald Galain
2009-06-28, 02:20 PM
The point of versatility is to fill gaps in the party when needed (like the 3rd ed Factotum and Chameleon PrC). The new Chameleon only allows you to imitate abilities your party already has, so what do you actually contribute?
That is, indeed, going to be problematic.

Are there any ways to really get some good use out of the PP, or should I look elsewhere?
As near as I can tell, that boils down to "convincing your party members to take the powers you want".

The main ways of being versatile in 4E are playing a Tome of Readiness Wizard, grabbing a Mnemonic Staff, and carrying a metric ton of utility items as specified in my sig.

Grynning
2009-06-28, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I've read your Utility Wizard build, and I am a fan. I'm just trying to figure out a build that really plays to being a Changeling. The Chameleon combined with a Bard seemed to be promising, and Coordinated Action is a pretty nice ability (I love stuff that lets you act out of turn), but I guess you could only really take it if you transitioned from heroic to paragon together and couldn't decide on another PP. Not really a path you can plan ahead for.

PS to KG: Are you working on an update for that incorporating EPG? I imagine there's a lot of goodness with Artificers, new items, Dragonmarks and whatnot.