PDA

View Full Version : Revival of the Harry Potter d20

ghostrunner
2006-01-10, 04:25 PM
For anyone that was following the Harry Potter d20 thread a while back, work is resuming on it. Our main development location is here, on the TTR Online forums:
http://ttronline.com//phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=18

RoboticSheeple
2006-01-10, 05:01 PM
If playing harry potter himself roll a d20, if the number rolled is greater than 0 harry may do anything at all with no consequences.
If playing Hermione or ron, do nothing, let harry do everything.

Elurindel
2006-01-10, 06:41 PM
Stoppus Badguyus! *blatant spam, which I apologise for*

Draak_Grafula
2006-01-11, 02:34 AM
HAHA briliant!

Do you have any rules on the houses yet?

As in:

Slytherin: must have evil alignment

Huffelpuf: Int max 9

Ravenclaw: Int minimum of 14

:)

Agnleas
2006-01-11, 09:33 AM
House rules? (im pulling nuts)

Gryffindor:
any good alignment
Stat modifiers: -2 WIS, +1 STR, +1 CHA

Hufflepuff:
Must be either neutral or good.
Stat Modifiers: -1 INT, +1 (Players Choice)

Ravenclaw:
Any neutral alignment
Stat Modifiers: -1 STR, -1 DEX, +2 INT
MIN: 13+ INT, 12+ WIS
Slytherin:
Any evil alignment (chaotic neutral allowed)
Stat Modifiers: +2 DEX, -1 CHA, -1 WIS

CHA modifiers between classes:
Slytherin, Gryffindor: -(2,3,4) CHA

dont have nothing more

ghostrunner
2006-01-11, 04:52 PM
HAHA briliant!

Do you have any rules on the houses yet?

As in:

Slytherin: must have evil alignment

Huffelpuf: Int max 9

Ravenclaw: Int minimum of 14

:)

We've actually had discussions on the houses; we've ultimately decided that house placement isn't so much ability as it is inclination and aptitude. For examlple, Slytherin wizards aren't necessarily evil; they are characterized by their ambitiousness (which, as with the Force(TM), can often be more quickly satisfied by taking the dark path). Hufflepuff aren't necessarily dumb; their fortitude mentally and physically is just often a higher priority than their intellect. Thus, smart wizards (Hermoine) and bumbling wizards (Neville) can end up in Griffindor because they are inclined to courageousness.
The main point is that we decided that a character's house worked better as a "chewy," flavor element than a "chrunchy," mechanical element.

Check out the system. Regardless of whether you like Harry Potter or not (I'm no rabid fan; believe me, I can point out plently of dumb things about the series. I thought BopBop's comment was pretty damn hilarious.), we've got a system for it that I'm pretty proud of.

Hoggmaster
2006-01-20, 04:02 PM
*bump*

wouldn't the prereq stats have to be lower as they are just little cookie munchers when they are sorted into their house...

Dhavaer
2006-01-20, 09:37 PM
Would house work better as an alignment system?

ghostrunner
2006-01-21, 12:37 AM
Would house work better as an alignment system?

Not really. Slytherin aren't necessarily evil and Gryffindor aren't necessarily evil. A character's house is really only relevant in the way scenes are roleplayed.

Dhavaer
2006-01-21, 01:35 AM
Exactly. I'm not saying the houses are equivalent to alignments, but that the effects of being in a House are similar to those of having an alignment, i.e. loosely describes your general behaviour and outlook.

Draak_Grafula
2006-01-22, 07:48 PM
We've actually had discussions on the houses; we've ultimately decided that house placement isn't so much ability as it is inclination and aptitude. For examlple, Slytherin wizards aren't necessarily evil; they are characterized by their ambitiousness (which, as with the Force(TM), can often be more quickly satisfied by taking the dark path). Hufflepuff aren't necessarily dumb; their fortitude mentally and physically is just often a higher priority than their intellect. Thus, smart wizards (Hermoine) and bumbling wizards (Neville) can end up in Griffindor because they are inclined to courageousness.
The main point is that we decided that a character's house worked better as a "chewy," flavor element than a "chrunchy," mechanical element.

Sounds good. I was joking though, and mainly refering to the observation that I have never read about any student of Slytherin (save maybe Slughorn) house not being evil, despite the formal claim of Rowling that Slytherins are just very ambitious.

And Dhavear, thats good suggestion, it might work. But what kind of system would you give muggles then? (they probably could just get a 'house-tag' without actualy being in a house.)

ghostrunner
2006-01-25, 03:49 PM
I was joking though, and mainly refering to the observation that I have never read about any student of Slytherin (save maybe Slughorn) house not being evil, despite the formal claim of Rowling that Slytherins are just very ambitious.
And thus begin my own criticisms of the series; I've read all of the books in the series and enjoyed them, but they are fluff. I loved the Larry Gardener (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=253) strip of OOTS, as it articulated my thoughts about the series in general (in addition to the Rowling's clunky prose). I especially like, "...whatever odd occurence or unlikely event is happening in the area, it always directly relates to me and my past. Always."
The fact that you never see non-evil Slytherins is because it never serves the purpose of Rowling's plot. Even former slytherin Professor Snape is universally disliked. It is definitely the most typecast House within the school.

Of course, that's part of what would be fun with a HP RPG: you could explore those stereotypes and create a much richer experience than the books themselves create. You could have party memebers from <gasp!> Slytherin and Gryffindor be friends and work together. Or for the Harry Potter fanboys, you could play the stereotypes up.

Whatever the case, I don't think a character's house would or should have any bearing on the rules. Thus I think assigning muggles "house tags" would be somewhat pointless.