PDA

View Full Version : Stormcall

Dhavaer
2006-01-23, 06:42 AM
Something I thought would be useful for a wizard in a battle.

Dhavaer's Lesser Stormcall
Evocation [electricity]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 Full round
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: None and Reflex half ;see text
Spell Resistance: No and Yes; see text.
Calling power from the Elemental Plane of Air, you gain the ability to throw bursts of lightning at your foes. You may throw 1 burst/2 caster levels, maximum of 5. Throwing a burst is a standard action. Each burst does 2d6 damage in a 10 foot radius, allowing a reflex save for half. The bursts have medium range (100 feet+10 feet/level). This effect allows spell resistance.
While you have any bursts remaining, you emit light as the light spell.
If the duration expires, any remaining bursts are wasted.
Focus: A clear crystal rod costing no less than 250gp.

Everyman
2006-01-23, 04:30 PM
It seems very balanced. The only suggestion I have is placing a limit on how many bursts a casting of this can grant at once. Otherwise, it's a tad too flexible for its own good.

How 'bout "1 burst per two caster levels (maximum of 7 bursts)"?

Dhavaer
2006-01-23, 08:08 PM
Thankyou and done. :)

Dhavaer
2006-01-23, 08:12 PM
Dhavaer's Stormcall
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5

As for Dhavaer's Lesser Stormcall, except:
Damage for the bursts is 3d6, radius is 20 feet.
As long as you have bursts remaining, you have electricity resistance 5.
Focus: A clear crystal rod costing no less than 500gp.

Ugly_Panda
2006-01-23, 08:21 PM
For the first spell, you should reduce the number of bursts you can get at maximum to four or five, then it's perfectly balanced in my opinion. The second one is just too strong for a level 5 spell.

Dhavaer
2006-01-23, 08:30 PM
Why? It's a few weak, short ranged fireballs, and minor electricity resistance.

Ugly_Panda
2006-01-23, 08:37 PM
Dude, the second spell does 20d6 damage at level 10. That's as strong as a delayed blast fireball, only without the delayed blast. Also, the versatility of multiple blasts more than makes up for the decreased range. Now that I think about it, the first spell is all right.

Dhavaer
2006-01-23, 08:41 PM
Would you feel more comfortable with 3d6 damage?

Ugly_Panda
2006-01-23, 08:51 PM
Yes, very much so, if not less. Now that I think about it, the second spell is exactly like delayed blast fireball. Being allowed to wait up to 10 minutes before using up all of the blasts is just screwy. This seems more like a druid spell in my opinion. Wizards and sorcerers don't need to create storms to blast stuff, they just aim and strike. Druids take their time and manipulate nature. Of course, that's just personal opinion.

Dhavaer
2006-01-23, 09:00 PM
Yes, very much so, if not less. Now that I think about it, the second spell is exactly like delayed blast fireball. Being allowed to wait up to 10 minutes before using up all of the blasts is just screwy. This seems more like a druid spell in my opinion. Wizards and sorcerers don't need to create storms to blast stuff, they just aim and strike. Druids take their time and manipulate nature. Of course, that's just personal opinion.

Exactly. Druids manipulate nature, so they create storms and call down lightning bolts. They get power from the Prime.
Wizards call power from other sources, and the power for this spell comes from the Elemental Plane of Air. Wizard call power in, and it's the trapped power that grants the secondary effects (light and electricity resistance). They can then release that power over time.
On another note, I've lowered the damage.

Edit: How is it exactly like delayed blast fireball? Sure, they're both Evocations and do elemental damage, but the mechanic is entirely different.

Dhavaer
2006-01-24, 01:19 AM
Dhavaer's Greater Stormcall
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
As Dhavaer's Lesser Stormcall, but:
Damage for bursts is 5d6, radius is 30'.
As long as you have bursts remaining, you have Electricity ressitance 10, and shed light as a Daylight spell.

Xanosect
2006-01-24, 02:07 PM
don't look at total damage. think of it as damage/round. I've never been in a d&D combat where a 9th level wizard has used up all his damage spells. it just doesn't last that long. why would I cast a spell to do 3d6 each round, rather than cast my lightning bolts to do all the damage immediately, and then move on to other spells.

ImperiousLeader
2006-01-24, 03:05 PM
Dude, the second spell does 20d6 damage at level 10. That's as strong as a delayed blast fireball, only without the delayed blast. Also, the versatility of multiple blasts more than makes up for the decreased range.

No, it doesn't. Don't look at just the total damage, after all, electricity resistance would each blast, and each needs a standard action. This is like casting 5 very weak lightning balls.

That said, it is interesting ... I think I'd cast it on my familiar.