PDA

View Full Version : 3.5:Beguiler help please

Arros Winhadren
2009-06-28, 03:54 PM
So I am finally going to play a Beguiler, and I could use some help doing so. I'm not sure what race to be, so I could use some help.

I rolled:

I'm assuming I want the 18 for Int, but I'm not sure how important Cha is for a beguiler and I don't know what race will give bonuses to Cha.

Allowed books are: PHB, DMG, PHB2. Any other book may be allowed so long as my DM doesn't think its overpowered. He'll just decide based on what I want, so anything too awesome probably won't fly.

Thanks!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-28, 04:00 PM
Cha is only important if you want it to be.

Malicte
2009-06-28, 04:07 PM
With those stats, you're probably going to want:

Str 10
Dex 13
Con 13
Int 18
Wis 12
Cha 13

The strength and wisdom are probably fairly interchangeable, and honestly with the skills and spells you have access to, you don't even need that high of a charisma to be an effective manipulator/party face. From your books there, I'd recommend simply playing a human, since these stats are already quite workable.

Thespianus
2009-06-28, 04:15 PM
Cha is only important if you want it to be.
Indeed.

Take a small race, like a Forest Gnome, gain +2 to Con and -2 to Str, +1 to the DC of any Illusion spell cast, racial bonus on Hide, etc. It will make you harder to hit, better with your hitpoints and give you stronger illusions. What's not to like? :)

Oh I wanna play a Beguiler too.. :)

Captain Alien
2009-06-28, 04:16 PM
Yeah, don't worry about charisma unless you really want to roleplay a charming guy who is inherently skilled in social situations. But you could roleplay it anyway with 13 charisma, and the character would be charming anyway thanks to his spells.

Flickerdart
2009-06-28, 04:19 PM
Yep, Beguilers only need CHA if they want to go into social skills or UMD. Grab a Small race (Gnome or Strongheart Halfling is best) and go to town.

Keld Denar
2009-06-28, 04:23 PM
Couple of good feats would be metamagic like Still and Silent Spell, and Quicken Spell. If you can get it approved, Complete Mage has the ever fun Unsettling Enchantment. Other than that, Verstatile Spellcaster gives you more power out of your lower level slots. And, as a spellcaster, you can never go wrong with Improved Initiative!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-28, 04:24 PM
Yep, Beguilers only need CHA if they want to go into social skills or UMD.

Even then, a Circlet of Charisma or a masterwork tool of UMD can make up for a lack of Cha.

Flickerdart
2009-06-28, 04:24 PM
Conceal Spellcasting (Complete Scoundrel, I think, is that where skill tricks are?) skill trick is an excellent use of your likely exceptional skill points.

Even then, a Circlet of Charisma or a masterwork tool of UMD can make up for a lack of Cha.
True, but then again you can have good base CHA and those things at the same time and do better.

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-28, 05:28 PM
The relative importance of Charisma is a bit academic with those stats. There are three 13s and a 12; put one in Dex, Con, and Cha.

wadledo
2009-06-28, 05:34 PM
You should totally play a beguiler beguiler(SS pg 60), dog.