PDA

View Full Version : Disguising magic items

Tetsubo 57
2009-06-28, 05:01 PM
How much leeway do you give a caster when constructing a magic item as far as the item's appears is concerned? For example, a wand should always look vaguely wand-shaped in my opinion. But it doesn't necessarily need to be something straight out of Harry Potter either. Would you allow say a large screw driver to be enchanted as a wand? Something that would look perfectly innocent in a rogue's tool kit.

How much 'wiggle' room is there in item creation in your game?

Signmaker
2009-06-28, 05:29 PM
I've occasionally offered gear with freshly cast Nystul's Magic Aura on it. Funny thing about parties, they tend to check the items on the spot and never again.

holywhippet
2009-06-28, 05:32 PM
From the SRD:
A typical wand is 6 inches to 12 inches long and about ¼ inch thick, and often weighs no more than 1 ounce. Most wands are wood, but some are bone. A rare few are metal, glass, or even ceramic, but these are quite exotic. Occasionally, a wand has a gem or some device at its tip, and most are decorated with carvings or runes.

I'd say you could get away with a screwdriver - make the wand out of metal then add a wooden handle to disguise it.

You could also use some kind of illusion to disguise it.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-28, 08:24 PM
I'd say you could get away with a screwdriver - make the wand out of metal then add a wooden handle to disguise it. You realize that in a world where metal screws are rare and precious, that's just going to disguise your wand as something else that a thief would want to steal, right?

shadow_archmagi
2009-06-28, 08:27 PM
You realize that in a world where metal screws are rare and precious, that's just going to disguise your wand as something else that a thief would want to steal, right?

Yes, but now as long as your spells have an auditory component, you have a sonic screwdriver.

And what isn't worth that?

Tetsubo 57
2009-06-28, 08:27 PM
You realize that in a world where metal screws are rare and precious, that's just going to disguise your wand as something else that a thief would want to steal, right?

The goal was to disguise a wand as part of a thief's tool kit. As part of a
'lock breakers' bag so to speak.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-28, 08:40 PM
Then what you want is a pry bar, not a screwdriver. Thieves in current times use sturdy screwdrivers in lieu of pry bars because screwdrivers are commonplace and can't be definitively considered thieving tools. In a low technology setting a screwdriver would be an expensive artisan's tool and would look greatly out of place in a "lock breaker's bag".

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-29, 01:07 AM

Assuming this is to prevnet discover? Then you'll need undetectable aura as someone already said.

The just make a hide or disguise check to hide the wand in the bag or disguise the item in another item.

Fluff it anyway you want. For ex, the wand might be hid in the bag or it might be hid inside some item like one of those folding, extending poles (you know like a blind man's walking cane).

Whose to say exactly what your thieve's tool kit looks like?

SSGoW
2009-06-29, 01:25 AM
sadly my players never get creative enough when it comes to creating anything :( but otherwise i would be ok with a little of anything lol

Zeful
2009-06-29, 01:52 AM
Weapons/armor look as the creator dictates. Because I like the concept of having "master" weapon and armorsmiths known the world over for superior weapons.

The Mentalist
2009-06-29, 02:09 AM
I had a character (I was making Jareth from Labyrinth) use small crystal balls as wands, that was a fun character.

bosssmiley
2009-06-29, 05:28 AM
I use a house rule from the Book of Gears (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=35813): items can be created in any form, but items with an iconic form are easier to create if that iconic form is used. Some types of magic just adhere better to certain - mythically appropriate - forms.

I.E.: a ring, cloak or hat of invisibility can be created at level n (per the DMG). Non-standard items of invisibility (boots, belts, gloves, etc.) can only be created at level n+2.

Quick, simple, and prevents excessive silliness.

aarondirebear
2009-06-29, 01:49 PM
. Would you allow say a large screw driver to be enchanted as a wand?

Provided nobody puts a spell with the [sonic] descriptor on it.
This also goes for Knock.

Random832
2009-06-29, 01:53 PM
Provided nobody puts a spell with the [sonic] descriptor on it.
This also goes for Knock.

You win two internets.

dragonfan6490
2009-06-29, 02:11 PM
I generally make wands out of anything. Sticks? Yep. Daggers? Of course. Amulets? Sure, why not. Head Gear? That works too. Anything can be a wand that has one spell, charges and a command word. Just my thought on the matter.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-06-29, 02:21 PM
Yes, but now as long as your spells have an auditory component, you have a sonic screwdriver.

And what isn't worth that?

Damn you, now I want to homebrew Doctor Who. And I'm having enough trouble homebrewing Kingdom Hearts already.