PDA

View Full Version : XP value NPCs 4e

Shorkan
2009-06-28, 05:18 PM
I'v been reading up on how to create NPCs, but I couldn't find anything about how much XP they should give. I'v compared an NPC I created with monsters of the monster manual, and it seems it is stronger than a normal monster of the same level, but weaker than an elite monster of the same level. Should I just count them as 1.5 times the xp of a normal mob then? Or did I miss something in the DM guide? Also, what happens when you apply a template to an NPC? If an NPC is between a normal mob and an elite in power, does that mean an NPC with a template is between an elite and a solo?

Meek
2009-06-28, 05:30 PM
For all intents and purposes they count as 1 standard monster, unless they are Elite or Solo NPCs. The only things you take into account when calculating XP for monsters is their designation (minion, standard, elite or solo) and their level. Now, if you want to go ahead and do your own thing, you can, but I don't see the value in having 1.5 a monster in an encounter, or 2.5, or 5.5.

JaxGaret
2009-06-28, 05:38 PM
I've compared an NPC I created with monsters of the monster manual, and it seems it is stronger than a normal monster of the same level

How does it seem stronger?

Shorkan
2009-06-28, 05:40 PM
Ok, thanks. Rather weird though, they really seem a lot more powerfull than normal mobs. Atleast as much HP, usualy better acuracy and defenses (the level bonus is quite big) and more encounter/daily powers. Can you just apply a template on an NPC the same way as you apply it on a standard monster then?

JaxGaret
2009-06-28, 05:43 PM
Can you just apply a template on an NPC the same way as you apply it on a standard monster then?

Yes, it makes them an Elite NPC.

Shorkan
2009-06-28, 05:47 PM
Ok, thanks for the quick response.

Meek
2009-06-28, 06:05 PM
The thing about NPCs is that none of their powers recharge. So look at a level 5 NPC and a Level 5 creature. The NPC has 1 power of each type, but none of them recharge, so after he uses them, he is done for that encounter. The monster has powers that recharge if you roll a d6 high enough, so they can get lucky and keep on truckin' the whole battle. An NPC can never get lucky. None of his powers recharge.

HMS Invincible
2009-06-28, 09:39 PM
I always assume they were weak elites. They have decent basic attacks, some encounter and utility powers, a class feature, and high defense.