PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Gimme a One-Afternoon-Adventure Idea and I'll Post The Adventure

Jogi
2009-06-28, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone, :smallsmile:. So, Im DMing for this group, two rogues and one ranger, all of them of 5th level, and I ran out of ideas for the next adventure. Maybe Im playing too much piano, or reading too much, anyway, my mind is blank.

So, I decided to ask you guys if anyone has any nice ideas. You can suggest anything (and It will be appreciated), but I'd like to add a few guidelines:

- This is supposed to be a single-session adventure.
- It will take place in a desert-like region.
- I would very much like to include a dungeon.

:smallcool: thanks in advance people, and If I get some suggestions, I'll probably post the adventure here later :)

Jane_Smith
2009-06-28, 08:13 PM
Hmm... -mystical hand gestures over head- AHHA! Their it is..

My idea -;

Basicly, the pc's find themselves, somehow in the town of Oasis, a trading town for all the nomadic colony's in the region plus some other species in the region. They are sellswords looking for work and were contacted to help with the towns 'disappearances'. They have to follow the trail of some lost people possibly needing help, when the find themselves in a big mess...

Falling threw some 'sink sand', they find themselves free-falling into a giant underground cavern hundreds of feet down into a large pilow of soft sand that asorbs most of the impact. They find (most) of the missing people in this cavern, and the only way out is threw a tunnel with several (humanoid) bones scattered along the outside, some on pikes, and the people trapped below, nearly dead from starvation alone, are to terrified to go into the howling tunnels any further, sense the last few that went in were heard screaming minutes later.

So, im thinking sand-goblins or lizardfolk or something, survival fight all the way out to the surface.

RTGoodman
2009-06-28, 08:17 PM
The party is crossing the desert when a sudden sandstorm overtakes them. With the flying, stinging grit, they can make out the shadow of a building not far away, and that seems to be their best source of shelter. The building (a pyramid?) is actually the final resting place of an ancient necromantic priest, and while waiting for the storm to pass either the party realizes riches could wait inside, or some of the priest's ancient creations and allies find the party. The BBEG is a mummy-like Solo Controller (don't know the level on ACTUAL mummies, but I homebrew you the BBEG when I get home in a few hours), with a handful of speedbumps undead minions.

EDIT: Ooh, I like the one above, too.

Jogi
2009-06-28, 08:25 PM
*taking notes* Thanks a lot people! I liked both ideas, and thought of something myself (as I tryed to merge the two of them): what if they do fall into sink-sand, end up where Jane said they would but then again, instead of being a tribe of creatures in a natural cave, maybe they could be a tribe that settled in an ancient tomb. The tomb is not so big, but the creatures haven't managed to get into the main room (where the BBEG is).

Think it could work? ^^

RTGoodman
2009-06-28, 08:40 PM
Hey, whose to say they haven't actually met and ALLIED with the necromancer? He provides undead servants, the lizardfolk/goblins/whatever provide fresh corpses and tribute in the form of ritual components.

The only real problem I see is that both scenarios could require large groups of enemies, but your party set-up isn't that great for it - lots of single-target strikers, no... uh, anything else. But if you've worked that out in the campaign before, I think you'll be fine.

Jogi
2009-06-28, 09:09 PM
Hey, whose to say they haven't actually met and ALLIED with the necromancer? He provides undead servants, the lizardfolk/goblins/whatever provide fresh corpses and tribute in the form of ritual components.

The only real problem I see is that both scenarios could require large groups of enemies, but your party set-up isn't that great for it - lots of single-target strikers, no... uh, anything else. But if you've worked that out in the campaign before, I think you'll be fine.

Sorry for the long time it took me to post again :smallwink:
You're right, hehe, it'd be way more interesting if this tribe allied with the necromancer! So here's what I thought could happen:

- Small caravans are disappearing on the roads, leaving nothing but footprints that lead to nowhere in the sands. What really is happening is: this tribe of [goblins?] is attacking and capturing the merchants and their personel, in order to offer them as tribute to the necromancer. The necromancer, on the other hand uses them to feed on the energy of the living that offered to him, while he provides the [goblins?] with undead servants.

Common encounter bands would include goblins fight alongside with undead, which should make the player's wonder what is going on :P

Im thinking a Deathlock Wight under the Death Master template for the necromancer. Should result a lv 4 Elite Controller, but then I'd just add some equipment to it so he could represent a lv 5-6 threat. Also, he'd have his servants with him on the final fight.

Jogi
2009-06-29, 01:07 PM
Hey people, do you think it's a problem if I post the Masterplan file for the adventure?

EDIT: not that it is finished, but just asking.

Alteran
2009-06-29, 01:20 PM
There's always the chance of your players stumbling upon it, but if they're legitimately interested in a challenging game they probably won't read your plans.

That's a *hint hint* to any of said players that happen to be reading this post.

I'd be interested in seeing what you have so far, and I'll probably be able to give you some suggestions.

Jogi
2009-06-29, 01:58 PM
There's always the chance of your players stumbling upon it, but if they're legitimately interested in a challenging game they probably won't read your plans.

That's a *hint hint* to any of said players that happen to be reading this post.

I'd be interested in seeing what you have so far, and I'll probably be able to give you some suggestions.

Heh, you're right :P, althought I don't think none of them comes to Homebrew, thanks for the tip :D

I'll start working on the maps tonight. So far I've only got how the players get to be into the dungeon, but here's the link: http://rapidshare.com/files/250049486/The_Sands_of_Lhiryaz.masterplan.html

Alteran
2009-06-29, 02:04 PM
I can't open that file. Is there some way for you to save it as an image, word document, pdf, or something else?

Jogi
2009-06-29, 02:05 PM
I can't open that file. Is there some way for you to save it as an image, word document, pdf, or something else?

Alright, gimme some minutes :D I'll save it as a word file.

EDIT: decided to do it with images. Trying to access rapidshare right now :O

skywalker
2009-06-29, 02:18 PM
Random question, but, what is a "masterplan" file?

I'm always on the lookout for new tools!

Jogi
2009-06-29, 02:24 PM
Random question, but, what is a "masterplan" file?

I'm always on the lookout for new tools!

Oooh Masterplan is a great tool for 4E :smallwink: it's lets you design and organize a campaign much faster, includes libraries of monsters and lots of stuff so that you won't have to open the Monster Manual. It even has maps and other cool things. Here's the link to their website: http://www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan/

Here's the link with the images: http://rapidshare.com/files/250057072/Sands_of_Lhiryaz.rar.html

Shadow_Elf
2009-06-29, 05:41 PM
Great gadget! Downloaded and very happy with the prospects. I will definitely use Masterplan when next I get a chance.

Jogi
2009-06-30, 01:11 PM
:D I came up with a new kind of enemie for this dungeon: Hate Weaver. From a card in the Magic TCG.

http://paulomtts.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/hateweaver.jpg

the original card image can be used to portray the creature as well:

http://paulomtts.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/hateweaver2.jpg

PS.: still working on the dungeon.