PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Bug Druid

Fiery Justice
2009-06-28, 09:03 PM
Okay, so for my most recent character idea I wanted to do a vermin-focused druid, complete with bug wildshapes and a creepy crawly animal companion. And then I got to the mechanics and realized that there was no way to be a bug themed druid. In fact, I discovered that there isn't even a mention of "vermin" in the srd entry for the druid.

So I was hoping that someone would have some suggestions for how to work this. I'm faintly aware of a Vermin Lord PRC in the Book of Vile Darkness, but I don't think I'm really looking for that (my character is Neutral Good, for one thing). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? I know I could discuss it with my DM but I'd prefer to do it RAW (I don't want to be unbalanced... well, anymore then the druid already is, because that's just plain unhealthy.).

Faleldir
2009-06-28, 09:06 PM
This should be a good place to start. (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats&tablefilter=vermin)

RTGoodman
2009-06-28, 09:10 PM
The feat that completely makes it work is the Child of Winter feat from the Eberron Campaign Setting - it's literally a feat for Vermin-focused Druids. The list above adds some additional options, too (mostly from Drow of the Underdark and the ECS).

Gaiyamato
2009-06-28, 09:27 PM
Master of flies (Savage Species) <- two level3 lets you shift into a swarm 1/day
Vermin Lord (Book of Vile Darkness) <- really crap until the end when you can make a hive mind that includes you. Which if the Hive is larger enough breaks the game. Makes up for all the lost caster progression as you can get a ton of free sorcerer levels for free.
Vermin Keeper (FR Underdark) <- Ok. Good point is that it gets to keep most of the caster progression. You can onyl swarm shift at level 10 though.
Arachnomancer (Drow of the Underdark) <- Actually a very Bad class.

Eldariel
2009-06-29, 04:50 AM
Check this out (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040705a). Wizards Web Enhancement for just this. That's for animal companion.

Then umm, check this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) out. Web Enhancement which offers Vermin Wildshape of sorts (named City-Shape), limited in size though. Still, it's the best type of Vermin Wildshape you'll find (they have the problem that all the good forms are too big and high HD for Wildshape; Cityshape at least maintains some versatility).

Other than that, yeah, Drow of the Underdark-sourcebook is precisely what you want. There's, among other things, ACF which enables you to gain Spider-shape or Scorpion-shape. Those are pretty poor, mind you (you give up all forms for one form, and you can't gain the Gargantuan/Colossal forms where the vermins' stats truly start to shine), but still interesting.

At least "Vermin Trainer"-feat is probably worthwhile. Spider Companion is worse than the ACF offered above and Knight of Lolth is kinda meh. Still interesting though.

Asheram
2009-06-29, 05:27 AM
From Sandstorm, there's the druid variant that gives "Wild Shape (Waste Vermin)"

You give up one wildshape on L10 and instead you can "assume the form of a Small to Large vermin found in the waste environment"

Uin
2009-07-01, 02:27 PM
One of my players is going to be playing an Urban/Bug/Child of Winter druid in my new Eberron game this week! Thank you very much, [3.5] Bug Druid thread. :smallsmile: