PDA

View Full Version : The Origins of Eddy

Jergmo
2009-06-28, 09:44 PM
This is the story of the origin of Eddy the Divine Chaos Mouse, an enigmatic divine magical rodent in my campaign. My players had a lot of fun -- and annoyance -- with him in their company.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is an opium den deep in the land of Tso'chuk, where the feudal goblinoid lords rule. This opium den is like many, many others, except for one new feature. Hiding in a corner is a small, purple-furred mouse. In front of this unusual rodent is a trio of graybeards with long whiskers and rich robes, providing no escape for Eddy the Divine Chaos Mouse. All Eddy knows is that he woke up in this strange place, surrounded by colossal alien creatures. One of the graybeards speaks up after taking a drag off of his pipe, giggling inanely. "Akihito's stock is very good today. Never before have I seen such a thing!" The one next to him, considerably less blitzed, smacks him on the back of the head.
"Don't be a fool, this is no hallucination! We must fetch a priest to identify this creature. This is no ordinary mouse!" The two sober graybeards leave their friend alone inside, having themselves pulled by passenger cart to the temple. The priests are skeptical at first, but they convince one to investigate. When they enter the opium den, they find their friend giggling again, reaching for butterflies which now fly about the building by the hundreds, his body turned a bright shade of green and covered in blooming flowers. Eddy still sits cowering in the corner, and he is surrounded by tiny gemstones. The slaves are baffled by the display, having only recently entered the room after doing their chores.
The priest becomes very excited after the shock wears off, moving to Eddy's corner. "Truly, this is a blessing from the gods! We must take this creature to the temple, where it will be safe!" As the priest reaches for Eddy, he lets out a distorted warble of a squeal, and blue and purple flames enshroud the priest's body. The priest screams and begins batting at the flames, until he realizes that the flames do not burn. Astonished, he looks down at his hands, turning them over. "Faerie fire. Oh, what a fool I am!" Slowly and precisely, the priest reaches for Eddy, his hands snapping to grab the terrified magical rodent. The priest is consumed in a conflagration of roaring flames, and the graybeards and slaves scream and try to run, but the building shoots up in flames as additional fireballs erupt. An entire block burns as water is brought from wells to extinguish the raging flames, and scurrying past the feet of the firefighters is Eddy, unscathed.