PDA

View Full Version : Where should I take my Psychic Warrior?

Piedmon_Sama
2009-06-28, 11:33 PM
So I'm 10 or 11 sessions into a game with my friends, wherein I'm playing two characters. The first is a Half-Orc Druid, and the other is a human Psychic Warrior. Both are level 3, about to become level 4.

This Psychic Warrior of mine is named Aisha (an incomplete illustration here (http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1350/aishax.jpg), note that she has groovy sanscrit tattoos down her arm and across her face and an image of an eight-armed war goddess on her disc plate). Aisha was introduced about five sessions ago and has had a... checkered career. Here are her current stats:

Aisha, Female Human Psychic Warrior 3; CR 3; Medium-Sized Humanoid; HD: 3d8+6-3 (24 hp); init: +2; Spd: 30 ft (6 squares); AC: 20 (+1 armor, +1 disc-plate, +2 dex, +1 dodge, +5 class) Touch 18, FF 12; BaB/Grp: +2/+4; Attacks: Sword of Bainbridge (hasted greatsword +2) +6 melee (2d6+5 19-20/x2 slash); Full Attack: Sword of Bainbridge (greatsword of speed +2) +6/+6 melee (2d6+5 19-20/x2 slash); S/R: 5 ft/5 ft; SQ: DR 1/- from armor, psionics, +1 skill/level; AL: CG; Svs: Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +4; Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 17, Cha 12
Skills, Traits, Feats & Flaws: Frail, Inattentive, Detached, Focused, Dodge, Speed of Thought, Up the Walls, Mobility, Psionic Weapon, Psionic Charge
Concentration +9, Jump +8, Tumble +5, Autohypnosis +5, Spot -2, Listen -2
Daily Power Points: 7
Powers Known: Offensive Prescience, Inertial Armor, Catfall
Gear: Studded Leather Armor, Monk's Outfit, Disc-Plate, +2 Greatsword of Speed, waterskin, beggar's bowl

Yeah. Notice she has a +2 Greatsword of Speed (an item that can't even exist under RAW, I know). Well, up until she found that sword Aisha has flubbed every single attack roll she's made--and last session, the first time she got to use that sword, she missed again.

Partly it's luck; last level her melee attack was +3, since I chose everytime to use Psionic Weapon and Offensive Prescience; I figured it would be worth neglecting her to-hit since on a charge she'd be +5. At this point, though, any kind of professional warrior would be seriously questioning their own sense of identity, she's performed so pathetically.

So next level being 4th and my next chance for a Bonus Feat, I ask for suggestions as to what I should do to make Aisha the best she can be. TIA for any advice/ideas.

Haven
2009-06-28, 11:45 PM
Your build's pretty good, for what it's worth. Either the random number god isn't on your side or your DM's putting you up against monsters above your class.

But given how much you rely on your psionic focus, Psionic Meditation is an absolute must-have for that fourth level bonus feat. And for your new power, I'd usually suggest picking up Hustle, but if making the hit is giving you troubles you should try Animal Affinity, which'll give you an extra +2 to both hit and damage if you boost your strength with it.

edit: Wait, am I missing something about your build? The psychic warrior table says you don't get another bonus feat until level 5.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-28, 11:50 PM
Maybe go into Psychic Weapon Master (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d), it's a superb class though your current weapon would be outright replaced. Elocater is also good, even for a one level dip. Just sticking with Psychic Warrior is also a decent choice, some of your mid and high level powers are amazing.

Lycanthromancer
2009-06-28, 11:57 PM
Take expansion and stand 10 feet away, and trip. You get to make it as a touch-attack, without an AoO from anyone who doesn't have reach. If you nab Improved Trip (with Combat Expertise, of course), you'll then get an additional attack at a -4 to their AC.

[edit] Oh, and you get an AoO when they stand back up.

Grynning
2009-06-29, 10:28 AM
Your build's pretty good, for what it's worth. Either the random number god isn't on your side or your DM's putting you up against monsters above your class.

But given how much you rely on your psionic focus, Psionic Meditation is an absolute must-have for that fourth level bonus feat. And for your new power, I'd usually suggest picking up Hustle, but if making the hit is giving you troubles you should try Animal Affinity, which'll give you an extra +2 to both hit and damage if you boost your strength with it.

edit: Wait, am I missing something about your build? The psychic warrior table says you don't get another bonus feat until level 5.

+1 on the advice for powers, Hustle and Animal Affinity are both good choices for weapon users, as is Expansion as pointed out by Lycanthromancer (even without going with a Tripper build, though it is recommended). I also strongly recommend Psionic Lion's Charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psionicLionsCharge.htm).

Haven is correct btw: Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm) gets a new power at level 4, and next bonus feat at level 5.

As far as feats at level 5, if your DM allows re-training, and you pick Expansion, drop Mobility for Combat Expertise and take Improved Trip as your bonus feat. Making the trip attacks while you're large and have improved trip is actually easier than hitting AC due to your +8 bonus, and your party will like you for it. Also, if you were going for Spring Attack...you really don't need it. Hustle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/hustle.htm) covers pretty much any situation where Spring Attack would be useful and does it better.

If (s)he doesn't allow retraining, I personally would start building towards a charge build. Psychic Warriors make good chargers because of the Lion's Charge power I linked above, and you can get the pre-req's for Shock Trooper (from Complete Warrior) by level 6 by taking Power Attack at 5 and Imp. Bull Rush at 6. Shock Trooper wouldn't come until level 8, but you would become a monster at that point.

If you want a more immediate payoff and are ok dumping some AC (like a Shock Trooper would), you could take Reckless Offense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#recklessOffense). However, trading AC for hit is generally considered less optimal than trading it for damage.

Also, tactics. You have a Druid to work with, who you're controlling. If they have a Wolf animal companion, have it trip stuff for you to get that -4 to the enemy's AC. When they get Wild Shape at level 5, it can do all kinds of nasty things to set up full attacks for your PsiWar.

P.S. - A +2 Greatsword of Speed can exist under RAW, it's just way outside of WBL for level 3 :smalltongue: I will say that I'm surprised that you're having trouble hitting, and maybe would suggest new dice. That sounds like a joke, but there ARE bad d20's out there (with warping and worn edges and such that makes them roll poorly) and maybe you have one.