PDA

View Full Version : Playing per Computer and Voice-Chat

BlackandGold
2009-06-29, 05:55 AM
Hello!

My DM will move to another City for about seven months. We thought about some Computer program, which could work together with Things like Skype or Teamchat. Has anyone experience with such programs? Or could anybody point to other, similiar things?

Thank you very much!

WeeFreeMen
2009-06-29, 07:05 AM
Hey!

From personal experience have your DM or anyone else in the group drop 5-20$ on a Web-Cam. This will allow you guys to show Dice Rolls, Character Sheets, or anything the DM requests.

Also a scanner is handy if your DM is anal about hard copies and such.

Next, Voice Chat, Voice chat is very easy and far easier than typing EVERYTHING out, trust me. My group used Ventrillo, their servers do cost money but they are pretty cheap and above all reliable and Customizable to a extent greater than Skype or the like.

You can drop 10$~ for a good 5 man vent. Enough for an average gamming group.

Finally there is a program known as RPG maker, your DM should investigate in this since he cant physically set up tiles or a map in front of you guys, he can Instead make a digital map and relay it to you guys virtually (I think there is a program that can do with Web-Cam or Video feed to show one of the users Desktop, in this case the map.)

-Thats all I got in the way of Long-Distance DnD.
Its worked great so far, and as long as everyone's honest, you shouldn't have any problems.

(On the note of honesty, Ive heard about a dice-roller that can be bought up in a chat-room format, so everyone can see each others rolls [save the DM].)

but Best of Luck, and Good gaming.
^_^d

Alavar
2009-06-29, 07:31 AM
http://gametable.galactanet.com/

That should be all ya'll need, besides books and brains and such. The dice generator is a little funky, and no one will notice the rolls unless you tell them to look, but it is a great program. I love some of the simplistic drawing tools, such as the rectangles and circles, just because it makes buildings/forests/lakes/most things easy and quick to do.

edit: The link will tell you more about the actual program...I'm too spazzy to do it, sorry!

ColdSepp
2009-06-29, 07:31 AM
Maptools is a very useful program for playing long distance.

rptools.net