PDA

View Full Version : Cylindrical Grease/Sticky Floor Barriers?

Surrealistik
2009-06-29, 08:39 AM
What happens when you combine Sculpt Spell with Grease and Sticky Floor, making them into cylinders or several cubes? Would this not create a barrier of adhesive/grease that serves as additional impediment supplementing the spell's normal effects? Would weapons firing through them get slowed/stuck?

SCULPT SPELL [METAMAGIC]
You can alter the area of your spells.
Prerequisite: Any metamagic feat.
Benefi t: You can modify an area spell by changing the area’s shape to either a cylinder (10-foot radius, 30 feet high), a 40-foot cone, four 10-foot cubes, a ball (20-foot-radius spread), or a 120-foot line. The sculpted spell works normally in all respects except for its shape. For example, a lightning bolt whose area is changed to a ball deals the same amount of damage, but affects a 20-foot-radius spread. A sculpted spell uses a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.

STICKY FLOOR
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: 10-ft.-by-10-ft. square
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Spell Resistance: No

For an instant, a translucent sheen that only you can see falls across the area you designate.

Creatures that are within or that enter the area of a sticky floor spell are immediately stuck in place and entangled. A successful Reflex save means the creature can move from its space but is still considered entangled as long as it remains in the area. A creature stuck in place can break loose by using a standard action to make a DC 15 Strength check or Escape Artist check. Each round at the beginning of your turn, any creature within the area must succeed on another Reflex save to avoid becoming stuck in place again.

The effect of this spell even extends through footwear, so merely removing
your boots doesn’t free you from the effect. Creatures not in contact with the surface of the ground (such as flying, burrowing or incorporeal creatures) are unaffected by sticky floor.

As far as I can tell the answer seems to be no according to RAW, as the spell doesn't in any way actually alter the spell's effects, and the spells do not affect objects (like arrows/projectiles) in their area forms.

Oh, and do multiple instances of the same area spell have their effects stack? For example, multiple Sticky Floors affecting one creature?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-29, 08:49 AM
It's not supposed to function any differently.
The sculpted spell works normally in all respects except for its shape. The advantage comes when you've got shapes that you want to follow in the terrain -- corridors in a keep, for instance. You won't have any difference in effect, but you will have superior conformation of the spell to the environment.

Surrealistik
2009-06-29, 09:01 AM
It's not supposed to function any differently. The advantage comes when you've got shapes that you want to follow in the terrain -- corridors in a keep, for instance. You won't have any difference in effect, but you will have superior conformation of the spell to the environment.

Well sure, I gathered that, so basically, no additional effect, despite there technically being a barrier of grease/adhesive except maybe an unavoidable concealment effect in the former case for those behind the grease cylinder.

What about the second question? Multiple instances of the same area of effect spell affecting the same creature? Do the effects stack? Will a goblin subject to two Greases suffer cumulative penalties, and have to make checks/saves for each Grease?

daggaz
2009-06-29, 09:06 AM
two grease spells overlap but do not add to eachother. An effect from the same source (ie the same spell) NEVER stacks.

In the case of your grease spell, you could cast the second one two rounds before the first expired, allowing the same area to be greased for almost two spell durations, but it never gets greasier.

As for ranged weapons being effected... why should they? Neither grease nor stickly floors affect the air above them (as web does) so ranged weapons would be completely unhindered.

Edit: as for stacking grease with sticky floor....while its not explicitly written, the fluff (which is part of the game) seem to be more or less opposites of eachother. One is sticky, the other is slippery. They dont really mix well. I would find it a reasonable calling by the DM to say that the one spell actually cancels the effects of the other. If you stacked web and sticky floor tho...

Surrealistik
2009-06-29, 09:11 AM
As for ranged weapons being effected... why should they? Neither grease nor stickly floors affect the air above them (as web does) so ranged weapons would be completely unhindered.

In the case of Sculpt Spell, you can transform their area of effect into a three dimensional shape, so basically, you could transmute the grease from Grease and the adhesive from Sticky Floor into a cube/cylinder of the stuff, couldn't you? If so, common sense/logic suggests that should have some effect on projectiles passing through them (though RAW says otherwise).

daggaz
2009-06-29, 09:14 AM
Gotta stick with RAW then, unless you call the houserule before hand..

Myself, I would frown on using the mechanics to twist the obvious fluff out of shape like that. Both spells work by coating a surface, not by suspending a mechanical effect in midair. Really, what the hell is slippery air supposed to do to you, anyhow? It all works because the floor is hard to stand on/impossible to remove your feet from.

Personally I wouldnt let that fly with sculpt spell, you would need to find surfaces to apply the spell to (tho here you could of course sculpt it, up the walls, around your party, etc etc).

Surrealistik
2009-06-29, 09:19 AM
Gotta stick with RAW then, unless you call the houserule before hand..

Myself, I would frown on using the mechanics to twist the obvious fluff out of shape like that. Both spells work by coating a surface, not by suspending a mechanical effect in midair. Really, what the hell is slippery air supposed to do to you, anyhow? It all works because the floor is hard to stand on/impossible to remove your feet from.

Personally I wouldnt let that fly with sculpt spell, you would need to find surfaces to apply the spell to (tho here you could of course sculpt it, up the walls, around your party, etc etc).

I don't see it as slippery air so much as a big cylinder of suspended grease (which would certainly impede flight), though I can see how an alternate interpretation would simply have both spells merely affect surfaces in their new three dimensional area, such as walls and ceilings in the case of sticky floor grease.

daggaz
2009-06-29, 09:22 AM
yeah, the suspended grease I can see... but then it totally loses the fluff of how it applies the mechanical penalities, and you have to come up with new penalties. Presto magicko, you have entered the realm of on-the-spot houseruling. Probably best to just nip this in the bud before you get that far with no chance to playtest it.

At any rate, if you want a spell that applies sticky floor like affects to a 3D area, just cast web.

Evil the Cat
2009-06-29, 11:15 AM
"A grease spell covers a solid surface with a
layer of slippery grease."

The very first line of the spell description. Since the mechanics don't change, all you'd really do is cover all solid surfaces in the radius with the spell. since the air is not a solid surface, it is unaffected.

lsfreak
2009-06-29, 02:51 PM
Exactly. You make a huge column of grease, which promptly sploshes all over everything in the area, complete with icky noises. But it doesn't stay suspended in the air, it merely coats everything that's in the area with grease.