PDA

View Full Version : Casting for the Imaginary OOTS movie!

Meg
2009-06-29, 09:17 AM
Hi! If there were to be an OOTS movie, who would you cast as who? I've only come up with a few so far.

Neil Patrick Harris as Elan/Nale
Vin Disel as Roy
Jackie Chan as Lord Shojo
Michael Cera as Pompey

Anyone else have other ideas?

Random832
2009-06-29, 09:28 AM
Don't we already have this thread?

Anyway, I don't think Vin Diesel is an appropriate choice for Roy, for obvious reasons.

Scarlet Knight
2009-06-29, 02:04 PM
Banjo could be played by Lambchop

mockingbyrd7
2009-06-29, 02:34 PM
These threads come up pretty often, but it's always fun to see people's suggestions.

Roy :roy: Will Smith would do a great job.
Elan/Nale :elan: :nale: Neil Patrick Harris as Elan/Nale is brilliant. Perfect casting. The only downside is that he's a bit old for it... but Neil isn't even middle-aged yet. Just not 21 or so.

Shojo: William Shatner, anyone?
Hinjo: John Cho; he played Sulu in the new Star Trek movie, and he's Harold in Harold and Kumar

That's all I got for now.

petersohn
2009-06-29, 02:36 PM
Just for convenience:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114233

Meg
2009-06-29, 02:42 PM
Sorry for the double thread. I'm new to this. But I agree, William Shatner would be awesome as Lord Shojo.

fangthane
2009-06-29, 03:00 PM
I'll comment but I don't want people to feel insulted about my comments on Smith, Doogie and Cho's acting talents (or, more properly, utter lack thereof). :)

Mockingbyrd, this isn't intended personally, it's just that those names keep coming up and I'm a little peevish. ;)

Smith - there's a reason why he's been nominated for only two Oscars and won neither. He's had a total of about 3 quality roles in his entire film career - Happyness, Six Degrees and, umm... ok, make that two quality roles. 3 if you want to count Ali, which I admittedly haven't seen since I'm just not interested. Almost any Wayans (and I can't stand most of them) would be as good.
Doogie - the fact that I still refer to him as Doogie is pretty much a condemnation of everything he's done since. I stand by it. Elwes would be better if they could electro-scrub his age a bit.
Cho - How sad is it that his first 'big' role in a relatively serious movie merely proves that he can't act any better than a TV guy like Takei? I'd rather see Robin Shou (Liu Kang, Mortal Kombat) take the role instead.

I disagree with Shatner as Shojo just because that's James Hong's role, but he'd be decent as the Oracle*. Though, so would Mel Brooks, if he still has his Yoghurt costume handy.

*There could even be some priceline jokes built in since Shatner seems to be doing more work for them than he ever did for Roddenberry :smallbiggrin:

xyzzy
2009-06-29, 03:05 PM
Shojo: William Shatner, anyone?

HELL.

YES.

ref
2009-06-30, 07:30 AM
Morgan Freeman as Eugene Greenhilt
Halle Berry as Sabine
Milla Jovovic as Haley Starshine
Grace Park as Miko Miyazaki

ArcadiaGM
2009-06-30, 08:18 AM
Doogie - the fact that I still refer to him as Doogie is pretty much a condemnation of everything he's done since. I stand by it. Elwes would be better if they could electro-scrub his age a bit.

Seen Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog? (Available via hulu) If that's not Nale, I don't know who is. :smallsmile:

nysisobli
2009-06-30, 08:20 AM
Im sorry, jack black for elan

Hurkyl
2009-06-30, 08:46 AM
Why Jackie Chan for Shojo?

Why Halle Barry for Sabine?

Random832
2009-06-30, 08:49 AM
How about voice casting?

:thog: Patrick Warburton

Trebuchet
2009-06-30, 12:23 PM
Since this is an imaginary movie, I don't see what age has to do with it. What if I want

:haley: - early Katherine Hepburn, for instance, with
:xykon: - Ben Stiller?

fangthane
2009-06-30, 01:07 PM
How about voice casting?

:thog: Patrick Warburton

Hmm. Y'know, I could see him doing Thog even in a live version (given makeup and fangs), now that you mention his name. He's no MC Duncan but he's big and he's got the voice. He could do any of Roy, Thog or Xykon readily enough in a voice cast though. I'm not sure if I could get used to Thog sounding like Joe Swanson but I'd be willing to risk it. ;)

Arcadia - I'll have to look that up when I get home and get back to you.

Ref - I agree on Freeman; he'd be great as Eugene and he really needs a "mean-old-bastard" role to offset all his "voice of reason" typecasting. However, I'd switch up the others a bit; Grace Jones for Sabine, and Devon Aoki for Miko. (After all, it's only one letter different from her Sin City role, and both parts are ass-whuppers with introverted personalities, right?) How can I argue with Milla though? Mmmm, Milla...

Nysisobli - Jack Black has had a total of about 20 seconds of good screen time in his entire life. Starting with when Bruce Willis says "Run. Now." He'd make a decent Parson Gotti but that's a different forum. :smalltongue:

Random832
2009-06-30, 01:25 PM
Hmm. Y'know, I could see him doing Thog even in a live version (given makeup and fangs), now that you mention his name. He's no MC Duncan but he's big and he's got the voice.
I thought about that too, actually, after I posted, but wasn't sure.

He could do any of Roy, Thog or Xykon readily enough in a voice cast though.

How about as :mitd:?

Actually, how about :mitd:Rob Paulsen?

Shadic
2009-06-30, 04:20 PM
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2104/roysourboy.jpg

Jimmy Jean-Louis as Roy. For sure.

CletusMusashi
2009-07-01, 01:22 AM
The look is right, but I don't know that I've seen him act. For Roy, I lean toward J. August Richards (Charles Gunn, from "Angel.").

Except when he was a girl. Then: Serena Williams.

How about Avery Brooks as Horace? And Bill Cosby as Eugene?

For Haley, I'm thinking perhaps Laura Prepon.

I toyed with tossing some red hair dye to Eliza Dushku for that role, but decided I wanted her for Therkla.

For Durkon, I've got to go with Brian Blessed. Fear of trees calls for over-acting at its finest.

The only problem with Brian being Durkon is how to do Thor, then. Might as well just keep going unapolagetically with the Scottish theme and give some lightning bolts to a drunken Sean Connery.

If we're using an actual midget for Belkar, then Verne Troyer. He's not just Mini-Me. He had a recurring role on "Jack of all Trades" as Napolean Bonaparte, and the sword-fighting sequences actually worked pretty well, action/comedically. However, he's not the greatest voice actor, and most of Belkar is in the dialogue. If we're using special effects to make somebody else look a bit smaller, then Jason Alexander. Imagine George Costanza yelling "I am a sexy, shoeless god of war!" and tell me that isn't hilarious.

Speaking of "Jack of All trades," I rather like Bruce Campbell as Captain Scoundrel. Although at their peaks, I'd love to have seen either Ricardo Montalban or John Astin in the role.

For Elan/Nale, I'm on the Neil Patrick Harris bandwagon. But if he won't do it, just use Cristopher Masterson. Same thing, really. I watched "Malcolm in the Middle" for YEARS, thinking that Francis was played by Neil Patrick Harris! Hell, you could even make one Elan and one Nale.

I want Jack Nicholson and Anthony Hopkins as Xykon and Redcloak.. Imagine how awesome his "no fear of becoming a tyrant" speech would be.

Oh, and toss in Ed O'Neil (Al Bundy) as one of the dim-witted hobgoblin generals.

And Bud Bundy, David Faustino, as Pompey. Yes, I know he's gotten older. He'd be playing a 43-year-old loser who chases after teenagers.

For Shojo, the ultimate trickster, how about David Carradine? America's favorite Faux-riental. OK, granted, he's dead now, but that's the beauty of it- so is Shojo! It's like the part was MADE for him!

And as long as we're doing resurrection spells and racial cheating, how about Charles Bronson as O-Chul? Deep, crinkly eyes, badass attitude, wispy black moustache? I can see it.

I love, love love the idea of Lou Ferigno as Thog. There might be some discomfort with casting a guy with extremely slurred speech as a mentally handicapped comedy character. It works for me! But if it tests out badly, my second choice is Mr. T. His voice screaming out Thog's dialogue... actually works.

Most people on these threads seem to want Lucy Liu as Miko. I think Gong Li comes across as bit colder and weirder, though.

Lucy Liu could be Lien.

Daniel Dae Kim strikes me as slimy enough to make a nice Kubota.

And for those who must have William Shatner, right there with ya. Monster in the Darkness!

The Extinguisher
2009-07-01, 01:31 AM
I repost:

Roy: Bruce Willis
Belkar: Johnny Depp
Shojo: Alan Rickman
Xykon: John Cleese
Redcloak: Simon Pegg
Tsukiko: Kathy Coppola

ref
2009-07-01, 02:40 PM
John Cleese should play the polearms shop clerk, hehe. (It's a minor role, so he can play both if you want to)

MoonBeam
2009-07-04, 04:21 PM
I like this thread, so I'd like to share my ideas with you. As I've been acknowledged, there are more threads with the very same topic, so ignore any of my suggestions which already have been made elsewhere.

Here are some of my choices:

Haley - Christina Hendricks (Saffron in two episodes of Firefly).
Elan & Nale - I agree with everyone who claims Neil Patrick Harris suits best.
Xykon - I'm totally with CletusMusashi, this role would undoubtedly best fit to Jack Nicholson.
Redcloak - Remember Gary Oldman as Zorg in The Fifth Element?
Tsukiko - Definitely Jaime Murray! I will never forget her role as Lila Tournay (the evil chick) in the 2nd Season of Dexter.
MitD - Well, Gérard Depardieu looks fine for this one. As Quentin from Montargis in Tais-toi! (UK: Shut Up!), Obelix in Astérix et Obélix, or the Boss of the Rock Tribe in RRRrrrr!!!, he performed adequately to show that he is capable of "being" the MitD.
O-Chul - There might be lack of physical resemblance, but only Chuck Norris is qualified to take such a role. :smallwink:
Oracle - Danny DeVito with some scales attached to him. :smallbiggrin:
Captain Scoundrél - Can't help myself, but his brown coat reminds me of Nathan Fillion as Captain Malcolm Reynolds in Firefly series.
Larry Gardener - Daniel Radcliffe :smallbiggrin:

EDIT:

John Cleese should play the polearms shop clerk, hehe. (It's a minor role, so he can play both if you want to)

Oh, you mean this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html)? :smallsmile: Reminds of the Dead Parrot Scene, doesn't he?

Erutaron
2009-07-04, 09:57 PM
Kari Byron from Mythbusters for Haley

rankrath
2009-07-04, 10:25 PM
Elan : Alan Tudyk

Roy: (Younger) Samuel L. Jackson.

Xykon: Johnny Depp

Blackjackg
2009-07-04, 10:26 PM
Oh, you mean this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html)? :smallsmile: Reminds of the Dead Parrot Scene, doesn't he?

It's not the Dead Parrot scene, it's the Cheese Shop. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KBuQHHKx0)

Berserk Monk
2009-07-04, 10:35 PM
I don't know his name, but the actor who played Big Figure in Watchmen should be :belkar:

Michael Clark Ducon (did I spell it right?) as :thog:

Morgan Freeman: Eugene Greenhilt

skim172
2009-07-04, 10:44 PM
I'm not really much in the practice of casting actors in my head, so I can't rattle off a list of actors I'd like to see. But since the spirit of this thread is more what we envision a real-life actor of the character to be:

Roy: Alpha male, leader personality. An articulate speaker, argumentative, with a bit of a sarcastic streak, but mostly a straightforward, blunt person, for better or worse. I'm not sure Will Smith could pull that off.

Elan: I disagree with Doogie - Elan isn't a doofus, which is Doogie's typecast role. Elan's just naive. He should exude a sense of innocent happiness and bliss, which will make the contrast all the more effective when he does become serious.

Nale: Elan with a goatee and an angsty-teenager attitude.

Xykon: For some reason, the only character I actually hear a voice inside my head for. I don't actually imagine him as a fearsome character, but certainly not a comedic goof - I'm not particularly in love with the John Cleese suggestion. I imagine his voice to be a sort of low deadpan, almost monotonous, as if he's not impressed with anything. Of course, an incredibly sarcastic character, but doesn't overplay it. He's just unemotional. He's evil, no doubt about it, but as a character, he behaves more like a jerk than villain.

Belkar: In many ways, a lot like Xykon - both sarcastic jerks. But Belkar is loud and excitable and emotional, whereas Xykon takes it all in stride. Belkar is always, ALWAYS emotional. The character to play him should be energetic and believable when presenting a very wide range of extreme emotions.

Vaarsuvius: Disdainful, scornful, always keeps others at arm's length, even his friends. The actor would have to be able to be distant, but at the same time, not dislikable. Also, would have to be fairly androgynous in appearance and voice.

Haley: Similar to Roy, actually, and I imagine her as one who lacks any feminine affectation. Meaning, she's not really cutesy or sensitive in her speech or mannerism. She's outspoken, self-confident, and not at all submissive. This would rule out the majority of the current young actresses, however, since most essentially made their careers based on affected sex appeal.

RebelT
2009-07-04, 11:12 PM
My input on a few of these.....I have yet to see a better Haley recommendation...

Roy: Samuel L Jackson/Lawrence Fishburne
Eugene: Danny Glover
Horace: Lawrence Fishburne/S.L.J

Haley: Amanda Righetti (http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/amanda-righetti/pictures/amanda-righetti-picture-3.jpg) -- From The Mentalist

Shojo: Pat Morita, from The Karate Kid, would be amazing, but sadly he died a few years back.

Oh, and I could actually see Johnny Depp as a pretty good Vaarsuvius. His appearance could be androgynous with enough makeup, and he'd also have that "edge" that V has on occasion.

jokey665
2009-07-04, 11:32 PM
I'm fully on the NPH bandwagon for Elan. Though I saw the Alan Tudyk suggestion and I can't say I'm against that one.

Felicia Day as Haley.

Nathan Fillion as somebody. Not sure. (O-Chul??? :smalltongue:)

Will Smith as Roy, lol.

Pyron
2009-07-04, 11:36 PM
Nathan Fillion as somebody. Not sure. (O-Chul??? :smalltongue:)

The Guy with the Halberd.

Aeon221
2009-07-04, 11:50 PM
I would cast Big Bird as Roy, because he is colorful and in charge.

Then I'd cast Oscar the Grouch as Durokon, as he is constantly in his clanky trash can, and rather dour.

Cookie Monster would make an excellent Elan! But then you'd lose out on the power twins, Bert and Ernie, for nalE and elaN. Decisions, decisions!

And I'd cast Britney Spears as Belkar.

Garland
2009-07-04, 11:55 PM
I think Vinnie Jones would make a good Belkar (keep the accent), if only they could make him halfling-sized.

MoonBeam
2009-07-05, 04:36 AM
It's not the Dead Parrot scene, it's the Cheese Shop. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KBuQHHKx0)

Thanks for the link, I've never seen this awesome sketch. That means the Polearm Emporium shopkeeper should be played by Michael Palin, not John Cleese as ref suggested.

As for Morgan Freeman as Eugene Greenhilt, I say NO. No, no, no, nooooo! C'mon, He can't possibly take a jerk-role, it'll not suit him at all. He could make pretty good Horace Greenhilt (Roy's grandfather) though.

Pronounceable
2009-07-05, 07:10 AM
I don't know about acting, but Belkar can only be voiced by Joe Pesci.

And I've always heard Smithers whenever Redcloak talks.

Random832
2009-07-05, 04:26 PM
As for Morgan Freeman as Eugene Greenhilt, I say NO. No, no, no, nooooo! C'mon, He can't possibly take a jerk-role, it'll not suit him at all. He could make pretty good Horace Greenhilt (Roy's grandfather) though.

He's had jerk-roles before - Outbreak, for instance.

I think Samuel L Jackson should be Horace.

Blanth
2009-07-08, 02:05 AM
But who will be cast in the role of The Dirt Farmer?!?! :smallconfused:

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-08, 11:14 AM
But who will be cast in the role of The Dirt Farmer?!?! :smallconfused:

Michael Palin with Terry Jones as his wife. :smallbiggrin:

And Shaquille O'Neill as Roy !

CletusMusashi
2009-08-08, 12:36 AM
David Spade, after a heavy facial electrolysis, as Vaarsuvius.