PDA

View Full Version : Thieves' Guild 2

Deckmaster
2009-06-29, 10:08 AM
I'm bringing back my Thieves' Guild game!

What is Thieves' Guild? For those of you who don't recall or weren't around, it's basically Werewolf with more of a high fantasy theme. The last game was inspired mostly by D&D. However, I have changed the names of all the roles this time in an effort to distance it from that.

Also, new to this version is a new alignment system where your actions effect your alignment.

Roster:
1. Aemoh
2. banjo1985
3. billtodamax
4. Blue Ghost
5. Dirk Kris
6. Fin
7. Fleeing Coward
8. Murska
9. Opeth_Freak
10. Saint Nil
11. Selrahc
12. The Bookworm

billtodamax
2009-06-29, 10:13 PM
Hmm. Sounds interesting. I'd like to know more about it, of course, but I'm probably in.

Murska
2009-06-30, 02:25 AM
I'd be interested. Then again, I join pretty much everything.

Fleeing Coward
2009-06-30, 03:24 AM
Anything that remotely resembles werewolf, I'm interested in so I'd probably join too.

Aemoh
2009-06-30, 03:26 AM
^ What they said :smalltongue:

Opeth_Freak
2009-06-30, 04:33 AM
Werewolf? Always. Count me in.

Fin
2009-06-30, 04:42 AM
I'll be in, consider this my sign-up because I may miss the new thread cause I'm a little busy this week!

In, with Cake!

banjo1985
2009-06-30, 05:32 AM
Either myself or the game itself is dead in most of my WWs right now, and this sounds interesting. Sure, I'd play.

Dirk Kris
2009-06-30, 07:24 AM
Count me in. Rules schmules.

The Bookworm
2009-06-30, 07:34 AM
Count me in as well. I love interesting "weird" rules!

Saint Nil
2009-06-30, 10:35 AM
Showing interest. I'll probably play.

Deckmaster
2009-06-30, 10:54 AM
All right! Here are the roles. Werewolf rules apply except where otherwise stated.

Note on alignment: Most players, unless otherwise indicated, start out Gray. When you vote for a player and that person is killed, based on their role, your alignment is shifted toward Light or Shadow. Your alignment is secret (even to you) and will be revealed only at death.

Assassin: The Assassins vote every night to decide who to assassinate. Their goal is to take over the village. They will do this by assassinating the Villagers one by one until their numbers are equal. Start out aligned to Gray. Their alignment is also affected by who they decide to kill.

Berserker: An unstoppable force of destruction in human form, the Berserker flies into a rage when his life is threatened. Berserk: The Berserker can take out 1 other person when killed. If lynched, the Berserker can take out one of his accusers; if assassinated, he will take out an Assassin at random. If killed by other means, he takes out his attacker. Starts out Gray, and is either a Villager or an Assassin.

Black Knight: The White Knight’s evil counterpart. As one of the Shadow's most powerful warriors the Black Knight's ultimate objective is to eradicate the Light above all else. Sense/Destroy Light: The Black Knight can either "Sense Light" at night, or kill someone who is aligned to Light. Sense Light shows the Black Knight whether or not someone is aligned to Light, but not their role. The Black Knight can only kill someone they've detected as aligned to Light. Wins if all Light-aligned players are killed. Starts out with two points in Shadow and an Assassin. Loses his powers if he becomes Light-aligned.

Cavalier: The Cavalier is a skilled swordsman who has sworn an oath to use his skills to defend the innocent. Guard: He can protect 1 other person or himself from assassination every night. Starts out Gray, and cannot be an Assassin.

Dark Diviner: His connection to the divine is every bit as strong as that of the Oracle, but the Dark Diviner is connected to Shadow forces as opposed to Light. Scry: Can see if someone is a Villager or an Assassin, their alignment, and if they have a special role. Starts out with 1 point in Shadow and is an Assassin.

Elders: The term Elder is misleading. The Elders are a group of individuals who secretly control every aspect of the village; since membership is based on bloodline, they can be any age. They know each other and know that the other Elders are not Assassins. Start out Gray, and cannot be an Assassin.

Magus: The Magus has spent years studying the Arcane arts and his work has earned magical talent. Spellcasting: The Magus has a list of seven available spells that he can cast at a rate of one per night. There is no limit to how many times he can use a particular spell. However, each one has its risks. Starts out Gray and is either a Villager or an Assassin.

Martial Artist: The Martial Artist has spent years honing his body and mind in order to perfect his art. As such, he is very hard to kill. Avoidance Kata: The first time the Martial Artist is killed in any way (except autolynching), the result is ignored and the player revealed as the Martial Artist. If he is killed and resurrected, he regains use of Avoidance Kata. Starts out Gray, and is either a Villager or an Assassin.

Oracle: The Oracle was born with a connection to the divine that allows him to see what others would prefer to keep hidden. Scry: Can see if someone is a Villager or an Assassin, their alignment, and if they have a special role. Starts out with 1 point in Light and cannot be an Assassin.

Priest: Unlike the Oracle, the Priest has worked most of his life trying to gain a connection to the divine and has been rewarded with certain spiritual powers. Resurrect: The Priest can raise 1 player from the dead 1 time during the game. This person can't vote, be voted for, or be assassinated for 3 days. This person’s alignment will be reset to Gray, even if they started out aligned to Light or Shadow. The Priest cannot use this ability on himself. This action does not reveal the Priest. Even after they use this ability, they will still be revealed as the Priest when killed. Starts out Gray, and either a Villager or an Assassin.

Touched: Like the Oracle, the Touched also has a divine connection. Unlike the Oracle, he cannot see things properly, seeing instead mad visions that he thinks are accurate but aren’t. Scry: Tries to see if someone is a Villager or an Assassin and their alignment, but gets a random result instead. Sees the Oracle as the Touched. If the Oracle is killed, he becomes the Oracle for real, and his alignment is moved 1 point toward Light (unless he voted for the Oracle’s death, in which case it stays the same). Starts out Gray, and cannot be an Assassin.

Trickster: The Trickster is a mischievous soul with amazing magical talent that he mostly wastes on playing tricks on people. Baffling Vision: The Trickster can make 1 player appear to have a different role and alignment to Scry, but not to Sense Light/Shadow or Track. Starts out Gray, and is either a Villager or an Assassin.

Veteran: The veteran has fought in many battles. He knows how to defend himself from almost any attack. Although even his skill and determination can be overcome. Hardened Defense: The Veteran has a 50% chance of surviving a Destroy Light/Shadow or assassination, but not an attack by a Magus using an offensive spell. Starts out Gray, and is either a Villager or an Assassin.

Villager: Basically, it means you are not an Assassin. Starts out Gray.

White Knight: The Black Knight’s good counterpart. As one of the Light's most resolute champions the Paladin's ultimate objective is to eradicate the Shadow above all else. Sense/Destroy Shadow: The White Knight can either “Detect Shadow” at night, or kill someone who is aligned to Shadow. Detect Shadow shows the White Knight whether or not someone is aligned to Shadow, but not their role. The White Knight can only kill someone that they‘ve detected as aligned to Shadow. Wins if all Shadow-aligned players are killed. Starts out with two points in Light and cannot be an Assassin. Loses his powers if he becomes Shadow-aligned.

Woodsman: The Woodsman is separate from the village, living outside its borders. As an outsider looking in, he can see things others can’t. Track: The Woodsman can tell who is an Assassin and who isn't. Works like the Oracle, only he can't see roles beyond Assassin and Villager. Track is not affected by Baffling Vision. Starts out Gray, and cannot be an Assassin.

Basically, these are the same roles from Thieves' Guild 1 except the names are changed. The most major changes are the alignment system and the Magus, which replaces both the Sorcerer and Wizard from the last game.

Blue Ghost
2009-06-30, 12:52 PM
Werewolf? High fantasy? Definitely interested!

Selrahc
2009-06-30, 01:44 PM
The villagers seem a lot stronger than the wolves, I'd either cut some roles or shift some of the roles (Wizard, Warrior, Woodsman perhaps) to neutral. Perhaps make them champions of grey with an objective of eliminating anyone who is either light or shadow.

Priest: Unlike the Oracle, the Priest has worked most of his life trying to gain a connection to the divine and has been rewarded with certain spiritual powers. Resurrect: The Priest can raise 1 player from the dead 1 time during the game. This person can't vote, be voted for, or be assassinated for 3 days. This person’s alignment will be reset to Gray, even if they started out aligned to Light or Shadow.

Don't reveal the role of the person who died to anyone, or this ability will break the game in half.

Murska
2009-06-30, 01:48 PM
Considering that most of the roles can be either a villager or a wolf, I can't really say if either team is overpowered before knowing which team said roles end up as.

Selrahc
2009-06-30, 01:58 PM
Oh yeah.. dur.

Well then, I'd say the power levels seem a bit too random. Essentially you're trusting game balance to the roll of a dice.

Deckmaster
2009-06-30, 06:55 PM
Oh yeah.. dur.

Well then, I'd say the power levels seem a bit too random. Essentially you're trusting game balance to the roll of a dice.

Don't worry about that. I'll try to keep any side from having too much of an advantage. Also, Resurrection (or rather, Raise Dead, it's V1 equivalent) didn't even get used last time. So I honestly can't say whether it's overpowered or not.

Opening post will now have a roster. I'll put down the name of everyone who's posted so far. If you have posted and don't want to be on the list, let me know.

Recruitment will last until we have 50 people.

Also, I may need a co-narrator.

Shadowcaller
2009-06-30, 07:02 PM
Don't worry about that. I'll try to keep any side from having too much of an advantage.

Opening post will now have a roster. I'll put down the name of everyone who's posted so far. If you have posted and don't want to be on the list, let me know.

Recruitment will last until we have 50 people.

Also, I may need a co-narrator.

50 people?!
There have been ages since there has been such a large game. I suggest you lower that requierment a lot if you want this game to start at all. :smalleek:

Deckmaster
2009-06-30, 07:06 PM
I had no trouble getting 50 people last time. Plus, with this many roles I need a large group to keep everyone guessing.

Can I add you to the list?

Shadowcaller
2009-06-30, 07:08 PM
I had no trouble getting 50 people last time. Plus, with this many roles I need a large group to keep everyone guessing.

Can I add you to the list?

Well, when was last time you had this game? I haven't see you since i joined at that was more then a year ago now. The player base have shrinked a lot since those days, times have change so to speak.

I'm not really sure if I'm going to join, but I would not put me up on the list yet.

Istari
2009-06-30, 07:19 PM
Look interesting, I'm in

Selrahc
2009-06-30, 07:38 PM
This game was the fifth werewolf game in the original werewolf series.. back two years or maybe even 2 and a half years ago, entitled Werewolf DnD.

Since there was only one game running and several months between new games there was no problem in getting large numbers of people to sign up. Nowadays there are lots of games running at the same time and a big game will have about 35 people, with 20 being a more reasonable estimate.

Also, Resurrection (or rather, Raise Dead, it's V1 equivalent) didn't even get used last time. So I honestly can't say whether it's overpowered or not.

Roles like that have been tried out over the time since you last made the game.

Heres how it breaks the game. Day 1 a villager is lynched. The priest raises the villager. The villager is now invulnerable. Every single person on the good guys side gets in contact with the villager, and over the next few days a solid network is established. For literally no risk the good guys have a massive game advantage.

If the priest is working for the bad guys then it would essentially just give one wolf one extra turn of life... So it is a role that can either massively help the good guys or do bugger all.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-06-30, 07:49 PM
I'd listen to the hippo. He's quite wise.

Also, I'm intrigued by your game and would like to play.

Lex-Kat
2009-06-30, 09:31 PM
I'll join, and play whenever you let me know the game has started. :smallsmile:

Mustiado
2009-07-03, 05:14 PM
I'm in. I'll be returning by Monday next week, hopefully.

Hyozo
2009-07-04, 12:28 PM
I'll join!

50 people?!
There have been ages since there has been such a large game. I suggest you lower that requierment a lot if you want this game to start at all. :smalleek:

Memesville had more, and USB3 was able to fill it's limit of 47.

Shadowcaller
2009-07-04, 12:51 PM
I'll join!

Memesville had more, and USB3 was able to fill it's limit of 47.

Well Memesville was months ago and so was USB3.

Hyozo
2009-07-07, 08:14 AM
Well Memesville was months ago and so was USB3.

Fine, Is Classic 9's 47 a recent enough example for you?

Lex-Kat
2009-07-07, 12:32 PM
Plenty recent. :smallamused:

Robert Blackletter
2009-07-09, 12:18 PM
Well if your prepared to put up with a newboy, I'll play.

deathpigeon
2009-07-10, 04:50 PM
If it is not to late, I will join.

Heroic
2009-07-11, 08:03 PM
Me too...:smallbiggrin:

TwoBitWriter
2009-07-14, 07:55 AM
I will play if there is a slot left open.

Heroic
2009-08-07, 07:47 PM
I'm soooo in!!!

Lex-Kat
2009-08-07, 09:11 PM
Me too...:smallbiggrin:

I'm soooo in!!!
So you're joining, twice? :smallconfused:

banthesun
2009-08-08, 02:28 AM
Ooooh! Still open! Me too!

Heroic
2009-08-10, 04:50 PM
So you're joining, twice? :smallconfused:

Yeah, I'm really excited about it :smalltongue:

Lex-Kat
2009-08-10, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I'm really excited about it :smalltongue:
But.... what if you randomly get placed on both sides? :smalleek:

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-08, 06:46 PM
So...

What's going on with this game? I'm signing up, but is it happening? It's been about four weeks since the last post...

Lex-Kat
2009-09-08, 08:21 PM
Deckmaster is waiting until he has 50 players. I wonder though, is he still paying any attention to this thread, or has it been abandoned?

EnrgeticPenguin
2009-09-08, 09:18 PM
In please.

Lex-Kat
2009-09-08, 09:31 PM
All the players who've signed up so far....

Aemoh
Andre Fairchilde
Atreyu the Masked Llama
Banjo1985
Banthesun
Billtodamax
Blue Ghost
the Bookworm
Deathpigeon
Dirk Kris
EnrgeticPenguin
Fin
Fleeing Coward
Gothicbob
Heroic
Hyozo
Istari
Lex-kat
Murska
Mustiado
Opeth Freak
Saint Nil
Selrahc
Twobitwriter

And we need Fifty. :eek:

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-09, 06:18 AM
Deckmaster hasn't posted since June, I'm not sure this is active.