PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Power for Hidden Talent

Blackfang108
2009-06-29, 10:41 AM
Hello, My DM has just recently approved swapping Hidden Talent for Wild Talent on my Soulknife.

Now, I'm trying to decide which power to take.

Stats: 13/20/14/10/8/12

ECL:22. Yes. 22. No, it's not straight soulknife. 5 levels of Illumine Soul(CP), 4 of Tempest(CAdv). Not that it should matter much. This is a No XP campaign, and the characters has been locked except for HT.

I'm currently looking at:
Expansion (Bigger is better, right?) Right. I'm using Weapon Finesse...
Force Screen (A little AC never hurts)
Bite of the Wolf (One extra Attack)
Offensive Presience(sp?)(the +2 damage one.)
And a few others.

Any suggestions are welcome. All Sources are open. Remember, it must be a 1st level power.

I was looking at Touch of Healing, but my heal check autostabilizes, so the 2 hp healed doesn't seem worthwhile.

EDIT: I Believe my ML is scaling, but only in terms of durations and effects, not Augmentation.

Eldariel
2009-06-29, 10:53 AM
Is this a standard Soulknife? Are you going to multiclass, for example into Soulbow or Kensai? I'd initially lean towards Offensive Prescience, Vigor or Bite of the Wolf. Normally I'd go with Expansion, but you're a Soulknife; most of the uses of that power rely on Str, high base die natural weapon (such as what you get out of Bite, but as a baseline you have none) or such, so I'd go with one of the others.

Also, is that ECL actually correct or do you mean ECL 2? 'cause ECL 22 Soulknife without mods...

Lycanthromancer
2009-06-29, 11:12 AM
Psionic minor creation is THE most powerful, flexible power at manifester level one. If your ML scaled, I'd also suggest astral construct, but spending 1 round to get a construct for one round really isn't worth it.

Even better as a kalashtar, of course.

You can create poisons, a giant hamster-ball, wooden armor, a combination lock, makeshift keys, off-hand weapons, masterwork tools, firewood, and even food and drink (as long as it's plant-derived).

Mmm...vegetarian chocolate-chip cookies...

There's even a type of wood in the Forgotten Realms that is naturally (note: Ex ability) float in mid-air, while towing rather large amounts of weight.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-06-29, 01:38 PM
Expansion grants extra reach, which will make you a much more effective combatant.

Force Screen gives a +4 shield bonus to AC. If you plan on duo-wielding, this can be very handy.

Stomp makes foes fall prone, which makes stabbing them easier.

Synesthete lets you compensate for a lack of one sensory input. Handy for fighting invisible things and such.

Entangling Ectoplasm is good battlefield control

Your problem is a lack of PP Pool with which to use your powers, as once you loose all your PP, several of your class abilities shut down (those that say "As long as you have at least one PP")

Blackfang108
2009-06-29, 02:23 PM
Your problem is a lack of PP Pool with which to use your powers, as once you loose all your PP, several of your class abilities shut down (those that say "As long as you have at least one PP")
True, I didnt' think of that.

Thankfully, none of the tempest's abilities need it.

Effected abilities:
Speed of Thought(Need 1 pp for focus)
Death Ward(need to expend psionic focus)
Positive Energy Flare(Ditto.)

Survivable, although the Death Ward may be a problem. (Granted, if it is, I've got bigger problems.)

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-06-29, 02:32 PM
True, I didnt' think of that.

Thankfully, none of the tempest's abilities need it.

Effected abilities:
Speed of Thought(Need 1 pp for focus)
Death Ward(need to expend psionic focus)
Positive Energy Flare(Ditto.)

Survivable, although the Death Ward may be a problem. (Granted, if it is, I've got bigger problems.)

This may also impair your ability to use psionic feats which require you to either have a PP pool or expend your focus...

Blackfang108
2009-06-29, 03:41 PM
This may also impair your ability to use psionic feats which require you to either have a PP pool or expend your focus...

Didn't take any, thankfully.