PDA

View Full Version : I need to price this item.

ilovefire
2006-01-21, 05:57 PM
Well, I've read the scifi novel Blade Dancer about nine times in the past three days, by SL Viehl, and i've got it in my head to stat out a weapon in there called the Tån. Now, It's a fairly powerful weapon, and i'm not sure how to price it, though i'm sure it's going to be expensive.

Tån: requires exotic weapon proficiency, can morph into seven different forms, listed here from largest to smallest:
Raen: Greatsword form
Thion: Bastard Sword form.
Rangi: Longsword form
Jyan: Scimitar Form
Shou: Shortsword form
Elok: Rapier Form
Osu: Dagger form (twin daggers)
It is a move action to change the Tån: requires exotic weapon proficiency, can morph into seven different forms, listed here from largest to smallest:
Raen: Greatsword form
Thion: Bastard Sword form.
Rangi: Longsword form
Jyan: Scimitar Form
Shou: Shortsword form
Elok: Rapier Form
Osu: Dagger form, splits into two daggers

It is a move action to change the form of the Tån.

There are no Weapon Focus or Weapon Specialization feats for the Tån. Instead, there are Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization feats for it’s separate forms.

The Tån does 1d3 bludgeoning 20/x2 damage when it is not in a form, and counts as an improvised weapons. While in any of it’s forms, it deals damage as that form, according to the size of the wielder. It costs ??? GP to purchase one, though all blade dancers are given one upon joining the Tåna.

Munchy
2006-01-21, 06:34 PM
That's it?

The only power is its ability to change form, that is not that powerfull.

I'd count this shapeshifting ability as the equivalent of a +1 enhancement (At most +2), though this would depend to what happens to added abilities (say I add a +3 enchantment) when it splits into two. Do I have two +3 weapons or one +1 and one +2?

Raum
2006-01-21, 06:38 PM
Why would it require an exotic weapon feat and then only be usable as an improvised weapon? Not sure I'd charge a feat at all to use a morphing weapon, though a feat would be required to use the bastard sword version in one hand.

As for cost, it sounds like it'll have to be a magic item (or equivalent) so I'd create it as such. While there's no morphing power I know of for weapons, there is the Wild ability for armor...a +3 ability. Since I think the marphing ability is better for armor than for a weapon I'd probably drop it to a +2 ability cost, but that's your call as GM.

ilovefire
2006-01-21, 06:41 PM
well, it dosen't have to have a blade. when it's not in any of those forms, it's a long stick, basically. Should have mentioned that. and Yeah, I was thinking as a +1, or +2 weapon at the most.

Thomas
2006-01-21, 09:19 PM
This weapon ability exists, in FR's Underdark book. It's called Morphing. It is, however, more powerful - these weapons aren't limited to seven forms.

So I'd say it is, at most, worth a +1 (so the price for a +1 Tån would be the same as for a +2 masterwork weapon), and no Exotic Weapon Proficiency required.

(Incidentally, why is there a "Swedish o" in the name? Why not just spell it Ton or Tón or something? Is SL Viehl Swedish?)

ilovefire
2006-01-21, 09:31 PM
It's how it's spelledi n the books, at least. Maybe, SL viehl is. But yeah, i'll price it as a +1 item, say aobut 1050 GP? or just add upt hte price for all the varios forms, and add 1000 to it?

Raum
2006-01-21, 10:12 PM
Assuming you charge as a +1 bonus for the tan morphing ability, the cost will be closer to 4300 gold.

It's 2000 for the +1 bonus, another 2000 for the tan morphing ability, 300 for masterwork quality (maybe more if you charge per each shape) and you still need to add the base cost of the weapon. This is retail cost.

Munchy
2006-01-21, 10:13 PM
I'd price it as the most expensive of the weapon forms it can take and let the +1 be the real pricing hit.

Davurnium
2006-01-22, 02:14 AM
I think you should charge it as a +1 weapon, but require the exotic weapon prof. if the character uses the weapon in any form that would normally require that feat (namely the bastard sword form).

Thomas
2006-01-22, 04:15 AM
The existing rules mostly cover this, but to summarize: It's a +1 morphing greatsword, priced as one (4,300 gp + greatsword price). When it morphs into a bastard sword, it's a bastard sword, and requires the appropriate proficiency to use. There's no need to make specific mention of that, even, and it's not a special rule.

Mind, splitting into two daggers is a bit tricky. I guess you could argue it should cost the same as two +2 masterwork weapons, then (or the same as 1.5 of them). That, or one of the daggers would be nonmagical. I forget how morphing works when changing into a double weapon.