PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] After a year I finally finished my deities and cosmology! Please critique it.

newbDM
2009-06-29, 03:07 PM
Hello,

Although I am planning on getting away from D&D/roleplaying, I had been working on my site/homebrewed cosmology in my free time for about a year, so I felt I had to finally finish it to get it off my mind.

The main problem was tracking down every deity I could find from official sources (TSR and WotC), and then finding the domains of those who did not have them listed on Wikipedia. Some I had to assign domains myself based on their fluff and portfolios, which meant tracking down obscure sources and material all over the place. The old Monster Mythology book was a great help in this. Although I have to admit I found the past edition fluff and gods very intriguing, which made staying up late for the past week actually enjoyable.

Anyway, can the vets here please tell me what you think of my planer makeup, and the makeup of the gods and other powers, along with my changes to them?:
http://www.freewebs.com/celestialkin/deitiesplanes.htm

All I need now is to finish the archons, which I am not sure where they are referenced, and to add in the elven deities originating from Dragon magazine. I also wish to compile a list of all the known dead deities (even the unnamed ones), so if you know of any, even ones briefly mentioned in passing, please let me know.

Also, for those who like setting/world building I could also use some critique on the timeline of my home planet. It is not much and still needs a bit of finishing, though.:
http://www.freewebs.com/celestialkin/timelineoforigin.htm

Opinions and suggestion are always welcomed!

newbDM
2009-06-30, 07:19 PM
I have just finished up some ideas for explaining how the universe and gods came into being, but since it involves a dip into the Far Realm I would love to hear some opinions from experienced world/setting builders.

How the Universe came to be, and The Primordial Times

How the cosmology/universe came to be

*DM NOTE: This is all very ancient information. So ancient that even the current generation of deities, except for the progenitors first generation of gods, a few of the most ancient other powers, and a few notable exceptions know very little to nothing of it.

If the players/PCs attempt a Knowledge: (The Planes), or Knowledge: (Religion) (Not a Knowledge: (History)! History deals with the history and events of their planet.) tell them that many deferent scholars tell a variety of deferent theories and myths of the age known as "The Primordial Times". Include the true version below, but do not focus on it or give it extra time/attention than the other theories., so they do not catch on.

The Primordial Times:

-The universe (also known as The Great Wheel) was not always the way it currently is. Originally there was nothing, not even darkness for darkness is a concept, and there was no such thing as concepts. At first there was not even time, but yet things existed. It was a form of existence much different than we understand it today. This may explain the peculiar and totally alien nature of creatures such as the Obyrith, for they are creatures who originated in this mysterious age.

If a mortal being of today somehow manage to find a way to travel back into this early stage of the universe they would experience things in ways they never have, for the laws of physics of today did not yet exist back then. They might be able to feel the alien smells which surround them in the near void they exist in, or perhaps be able to taste the rainbow-like colors thundering from the ever expanding dark clouds of pure essence still bellowing from the universe's original spark. They would no longer feel the passing for time, for there was no time meaning they have always existed, yet have never never existed before their teleportation to The Primordial Times yet still did. However, the greatest risk to such a traveler is the possibility of losing touch with their sanity, for no mortal mind from our age can even begin to mentally process the contradiction and lack of reason that exists here (try imaging a perfect sphere with sharp edges as an example of this).

It was during this age that the Primordial Gods first took notice of our universe and came to investigate it. Some chose to stayed, and are believed by the current gods to have created the universe as it current is, or at the very least directed it's evolution to it's current state. Though they are certain of the fact that they created the progenitor gods who would birth them, and that they also created most of the various other major powers of the cosmos (though some naturally evolved from the planes as if planned, as though the Primordial Gods had laid seeds knowing they would not be there to see them sprout). They are also credited with creating various forms of primordial life which is alien compared to anything found today; a handful of which have survived to the modern day.

*DM NOTE: What universes, where they are, and how they are crated universes.
"Universes" are in fact small bubbles or blobs of "normality" floating within the vast true infinity of the Far Realm. This is akin how the solar spheres of the Prime Material Plane exist and float within the phlogisto.

When two (or possibly more) of these bubbles float into contact with each other their boundaries scrape up against each other. At the points where these massive bodies touch "sparks" occur, caused by the unfathomable energies of two universes colliding and bouncing off each other. These "sparks" are what give birth to entirely new universes.

*DM NOTE:
The Primordial Times was basically a period between the natural state of the Far Realm and that of what the universe is like today. It is similar to the ecosystem where fresh water and salt water meet in the real world. The races/monsters originating from this time are akin to how some fish have adapted to live in the mixed water habitat in the real world.

*DM NOTE:
Creatures from The Primordial Times which are known to still exist are:

• Aboleth
• Nupperibo (A remnant of the Ancient Baatorians.)
• Obyriths

The Primordial Gods:

-With the possible exception of powerful deities who seek knowledge (aka have Knowledge in their portfolios) such as the illithid deity Ilsensine, only the most ancient of deities know/remember what it was like and what took place during The Primordial Times. These deities are all from the original generation of gods (if they were known as "gods" back then is unknown), which have long since left to a realm of existence even beyond that of greater deities. These beings are sometimes known as "The Primordial Gods" or "The Primordial Deities" to the current generations of gods. They were beings of even greater power then the current Greater Deities, they are believed to have also been the ones who created the universe itself, along with the progenitors (of the current gods aka Corellon, Moradin, etc) and by extension themselves.

While most of these entities have mysteriously disappeared, it is believed by the few mortal scholars and clerics knowledgeable of The Primordial Times that the handful of known "Overdeities" might in fact be the last of the Primordial Gods. Why they remain (or have chosen to remain) is unknown to anyone but themselves, though it is possible they may have individually confided this knowledge in a lower god (or perhaps even a mortal?)..

The fate of the other Primordial Gods is an enigma. If they follow the same rule of "No god can ever truly die" then at the very least their specter forms should remain, but one has yet to be confirmed. However, presumably being overdeities the notion of them being slain is quite unlikely. This question is one that comes up frequently among the gods. Some believe they merely chose to leave the known universe (where to is uncertain to even them) for various reasons.

*DM NOTE:
The tfinal/official truth of what happened to The Primordial Gods is that they chose to leave or grow silent for various individual reasons. Bellow is a list of some of the reasons some Primordial Gods disappeared:

• Some merely grew tired of the universe they helped create, so returned to the Far Realm. These were mostly deities who were originally Far Realm entities which came to this universe (see below), though some of those born from the initial creation creation of the universe also followed into the Far Realm (whether they could survive within it is uncertain).
• Once the cosmology/unicerse neared it's current state some felt it was time to allow their creations to "spread their wings" per say.
• Some actually remain, though they have grown silent and hidden for various reasons.
• Some are still secretly guiding the affairs of the gods, and even the races created by the younger gods. Though these gods tend to keep their identity hidden, or even keep their existence unknown.
• A few were destroyed/killed by Tharizun during his attack of the universe. (Can a Far Realm being be killed?)

*DM NOTE:
My list of Primordial Gods (I might add more as needed over time):
• The Overdiety Ao who oversees the Prime Material sphere of Realmspace.

• The abstract concept of Darkness worshiped by the Dark Creepers and Dark Stalkers which grants their clerics' spells, and sends shadows to retrieve their dead, is in reality a Primordial Deity. He/She/It is in fact the first deity to have sway over darkness (aka have it in it's portfolio). Because of this it technically has power over all other deities who posses the Darkness domain, much as Death (see my homebrewed deities) as power over all deities who posses the Death, Deathless, and Undeath domains. (see Ecology of the Dark Ones in Dragon magazine #322)

This ancient power was one of the first Far Realm entities drawn to this newly sparked universe. It was he who created the the forced known as "darkness", and later on molded what would be known as the Shadow Plane from his creation.

• After the Primordial Gods began to fill this bubble in the Far Realm with life they noticed there was only so much room for them. Uncertain what to do they gathered to discuss the issue. Eventually one entity came up with an idea that would relieve the issue, and which would allow a method for their creations to compete, though the later part was mostly for their creator's amusement, The entity had formulated the concept of mortality. In current times it and it's concept are both known to the mortal races by the name Death (see my homebrewed deities).

•Io is in fact a Primordial Deity, which explains why he holds all alignments within him, for concepts such as alignments are non-existent in the Far Realm. The draconic creation myth of how all things came from Io, and how he span ever quicker and quicker sending all things forth (see Races of the Dragon 66) is party true. The key part missing from even the dragons' retelling of the tale is where the egg containing everything every originated from.

The "egg" told of in the creation myth was in fact the initial spark which created this universe. Io is in fact the physical manifestation of this spark as it and the universe continue expanding.

The pure unrefined essence, in the form of dark clouds thundering rainbow-like lights, emanating from the original spark at the center of the universe is in fact Io ever spinning faster.

• At the opposite end of the universe's lifespan staring back stands Io's brother Chronepsis. There he is re-enfolding and perfectly balances Io's extension of being into the world. Both deities exist at both ends of the universe's lifespan, and at all points in-between. Although their power may not rival that of a Far Realm entity, they are still Primordial Gods.

• Emmantiensien, the god of treants, is a deities who "has no origin in time, he has always existed", and who supposedly has magic and knowledge beyond that of even Titania (strange for a an intermediate god, huh?). All this clearly shows what mmantiensien truly is.

Why he is perceived as Intermediate level power is because he has suppressed his power either by the use of unknown artifacts, or most likely by simply willing it.

• Tharizdun, intermediate god of eternal darkness, decay, entropy, malign knowledge and insanity.

Examples of his insane otherworldly power:

"He was imprisoned ages ago by a coalition of deities to prevent the destruction of existence itself. Although imprisoned, Tharizdun still has a degree of his original multiverse-threatening power: he is officially a Divine Rank 11 (out of 20) deity, as of Dragon #294. His holy symbols are a dark spiral rune and a two-tiered inverted ziggurat known as an obex. His holy number is 333. His chief minion is Shothragot."

"t is believed that Tharizdun has no allies, given his desire to destroy the entire universe. Should he ever escape from his prison, it is thought that even the most evil of deities work with their good counterparts to return Tharizdun to his prison. However, the Dark God has been known to work his will secretly by employing various demons (with or without their knowledge) to do his bidding. Examples of fiends so used include Iuz and Zuggtmoy, and the Princes of Elemental Evil.

On Oerth, Tharizdun is particularly opposed by Pelor and Boccob."

To even the youngest generation of gods what Tharizdun is is obvious.

Tharizun is a powerful Far Realm entity who came upon this universe at around the time the Primordial Gods began to abandon it, with the remaining ones molding/birthing/creating the protagonists of the newer generation of deities before most of them also left. Therizun, disgusted by this bubble of "normality" decided he must destroy it. He decided to briefly leave, and returning shortly when the other Far Realm entities had all left. However, when he returned he discovered he had waited too long. The weakling spawn the others had created multiplied, and they themselves had spawn which some fed on for even more power. Led by the last remaining Primordial Deities the newer generation of "gods", along with the other major cosmic powers( Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful) they managed to overwhelm him and imprison him. Even Death took place in this battle, proving to be crucial to the outcome.