PDA

View Full Version : WH RPG Crits for D&D 3.5?

J.Gellert
2009-06-29, 04:04 PM
Has anyone done something similar to how Warhammer RPG handles critical hits, for 3rd/3.5 edition? Basically, bad things happen to you when you are out of wounds (hps), like losing a hand or an eye, but you may still yet survive unless the effect roll is very bad (severed limb or head).

I am 'against' Raise Dead spells and I think something along those lines may be useful to keep PCs just a little longer alive before the end.

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-29, 04:07 PM
Someone linked to This (http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/advanced-rules/optional-death.html) a couple days ago, and I thought it was a very good read.

It's not perfectly what you want, but it might give you a starting place <^_^>

J.Gellert
2009-06-29, 04:37 PM
Nice and simple, and it's close to what our group has been doing for a while. Seems to be lacking the "Oh, damn, where is my hand?" part, though :smallamused:

erikun
2009-06-29, 07:09 PM
Heh, I found the "Dead characters automatically lose 1 hp per round" bit rather amusing. :smallamused: You'll apparently be at under -14400 HP when you finally "die" a day later.

As for useful advise, I believe there are tables for injuries received during critical hits/failed saves; if you could locate one of those, it might give you some ideas. Probably a "if you're hit while unconcious, we roll on the table" effect, where you determine what maiming the character gets (with death being one of the options). Unfortunately, I have no clue where you'd find such a table.

lesser_minion
2009-06-30, 05:38 AM
I've had some success just ad-libbing critical effects based on how far over the character's hp the attack went, although it was more narrative. It would work very well for NPCs in 4e, and in 3.5 it might work.

It was quite interesting for players to defeat a samurai by slicing off his forearm.