PDA

View Full Version : Something that occurred to me.

Ted The Bug
2009-06-29, 04:14 PM
In this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html), the IFCC mentions that Durkon has an instant resurrection scroll with him. If they weren't lying (and I'm assuming they weren't because they'd risk V killing hirself and ending their plans), why did Durkon carry the diamonds with him in the first place?

Meg
2009-06-29, 04:15 PM
They were lying. More likely, Durkon wants to be ready if multiple rezzes are needed.

hamishspence
2009-06-29, 04:15 PM
Because Roy had died way back and he needed them to raise Roy when they finally meet up?

Lira
2009-06-29, 04:17 PM
I read that as Durkon had a Sending scroll, which I still think is right.

Zevox
2009-06-29, 04:17 PM
The scroll they were referring to was Sending, not Resurrection (see the image that accompanies that statement, where V is speaking to Durkon, who is casting from his scroll - clearly, the scroll could not therefore be for resurrection, as that panel showed V already resurrected). Sending's 10-minute casting time had recently been a plot point, so Rich was thinking of that when he wrote that strip. He probably wasn't thinking of Resurrection's similarly lengthy casting time, and thus didn't account for it.

Edit: Also, the weaker spell Raise Dead would work on someone as recently-deceased as V would have been, and it has an only 1 minute casting time.

Zevox

Ceryan
2009-06-29, 04:18 PM
I'm fairly certain that the scroll they were referring to had been a Scroll of Sending, as the casting time for that is 10 minutes.

It's unlikely they meant a Scroll of Resurrection because, in comic 650, we see that V did not even know Resurrection had a cast time other than Instantaneous.

Optimystik
2009-06-29, 04:20 PM
In this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html), the IFCC mentions that Durkon has an instant resurrection scroll with him. If they weren't lying (and I'm assuming they weren't because they'd risk V killing hirself and ending their plans), why did Durkon carry the diamonds with him in the first place?

a) The general consensus (especially given Qarr's observations in #637) is that the Fiends were lying, or at least wildly exaggerating, about the alternate plan and that any details mentioned therein are suspect.

b) It's not really "instant" - rather, the Giant is going with the pre-errata ruling on scrolls, that they all take a standard action to activate regardless of the casting time of the actual spell.

Point (a) suggests that such a scroll might not even exist, which would answer your question. However, even if it does, point (b) suggests it would represent an emergency contingency on Durkon's part, and so not worth expending when the group is in no real hurry, which would answer your question.

Edit: Also, the weaker spell Raise Dead would work on someone as recently-deceased as V would have been, and it has an only 1 minute casting time.

Zevox

In the Fiends' alternate plan, Raise Dead would not have worked, because Qarr couldn't carry more than his head, and trying to Raise that without the rest of him would be useless.

Porthos
2009-06-29, 04:21 PM
If they weren't lying

Well, considering that Durkon and Elan weren't on the boat at the time, I strongly suspect that they were lying about the whole thing.

The whole point about the Alternative Deal was to get V to face up to the fact that his motives weren't entirely as pure as he claimed.

Ted The Bug
2009-06-29, 04:28 PM
Completely my fault for misreading it.

You saw nothing.

Kaytara
2009-06-30, 12:34 AM
The scroll they were referring to was Sending, not Resurrection (see the image that accompanies that statement, where V is speaking to Durkon, who is casting from his scroll - clearly, the scroll could not therefore be for resurrection, as that panel showed V already resurrected). Sending's 10-minute casting time had recently been a plot point, so Rich was thinking of that when he wrote that strip. He probably wasn't thinking of Resurrection's similarly lengthy casting time, and thus didn't account for it.
I think it's also worth noting that it was just revealed that V didn't know that Resurrection had a 10-minute casting time. I doubt the fiends were explicitly aware of that, but they probably just decided to go with the "don't worry about it, he has a scroll" comment to cover it up.

Forbiddenwar
2009-06-30, 12:37 AM
You saw nothing.
It appears your mad jedi powers have no effect on Kaytara. :smallwink:

Question answered. move along.

Boaromir
2009-06-30, 01:04 AM
It appears your mad jedi powers have no effect on Kaytara. :smallwink:

Question answered. move along.

Aw but I heart her. D: All silly-ness aside, this subject has been brought up multiple times. Moving along now.

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2009-06-30, 01:15 AM
The casting time on scrolls in ignored. The fiends did not knowingly lie (information may have been outdated)

Morquard
2009-06-30, 01:28 AM
While the picture clearly shows Durkon using a Sending scroll the comment itself might have been refering to either spell or even both, but I think it was left vague and up to V for interpretation.