PDA

View Full Version : The FRIENDLY America thread.

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-29, 04:32 PM
The last thread on this this topic turned out to be a disaster so let's have a thread where people have nice questions to ask about american culture rather than a flamewar (that I admittedly took part in.).
Ask away. And don't feed the trolls for the love of god.

The Rose Dragon
2009-06-29, 04:32 PM
Where do you keep all the non-Harvard good universities with lax entry standards? I need one of those to survive post-graduation.

Emperor Ing
2009-06-29, 04:33 PM
I doubt this (thread, discussion friendliness) will last long at all. :smalltongue:

And the good universities? They're quite scattered. Usually your best bet is to look up good non-ivy-league schools.

Ripped Shirt Kirk
2009-06-29, 04:33 PM
Y'know, your username is not that promising for this thread. (just kidding)

Dr. Bath
2009-06-29, 04:34 PM
Man.

I had questions all typed out and everything, then the thread closed.

Anyways. Why is patriotism so popular/important? I don't understand.

Why is Ohio so big and empty.

Why did people I met on the subway in New York assume London was part of the US, when I have quite a strong English accent? ;___;

Starscream
2009-06-29, 04:36 PM
Well, I just graduated from Ohio State. No complaints there, it's a great school.

Don't know if I'd describe the entry standards as "lax", but my only extracurricular in high school was "sleeping in class" and I still got in.

Ohio exists to keep Lake Erie from spilling into the rest of the country. In that it is well over 70% successful.

The Rose Dragon
2009-06-29, 04:36 PM
And the good universities? They're quite scattered. Usually your best bet is to look up good non-ivy-league schools.

Any particular suggestions?

((I major in Molecular Biology and Genetics, if it helps.))

Emperor Ing
2009-06-29, 04:37 PM
Man.

Why did people I met on the subway in New York assume London was part of the US, when I have quite a strong English accent? ;___;
1) Mentality is very important. It doesnt matter what it is, if you're enthusiastic about doing something, its easier to do
2) I dunno :smalltongue:
3) Basic Geography isn't taught in college :smallyuk:

Khaeta
2009-06-29, 04:40 PM
I personally don't think it's that important. I disagree with a lot of stuff the government does (although a lot of that goes for governments everywhere, and I'm not gonna violate forum rules by going there).

Is it? I thought that was Kansas... (I've never been to either one)

Um...that's just depressing. I assure you I'm not quite that stuppiddilic stupididdlicious stupid. Though I may be close.

Spiryt
2009-06-29, 04:41 PM
Also, about which America is this thread? As far as I remember, we are supposed to have threads about continents now, not particular countries. See Europe and Russia thread.:smallamused:

darkninjaoflight
2009-06-29, 04:41 PM
Man.

My answers to this:

1. Same reason the royal family is so popular/important in England, I venture. It's a big part of the country's history and flavor. Plus patriotism exists in every country.
2. eh?
3. I'm not sure what you mean here. Did they really think London was a part of U.S. or do you mean they just thought you were from the U.S.? If the former, they were probably messing around with your or were dumb or simply misunderstood what you said (accent and all).

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-29, 04:42 PM
Man.

Patriotism is like the stock market. During Vietnam, it was practically nonexistant (not that I was around back then.) And what's so wrong with being patriotic? I like it. We try to be patriotic without turning into jingoist morons. Not all of us succeed but they are a minority.

As for Ohio, I haven't been there but I know that it's cold. Who likes being cold?

Maybe there is a nearby town named London. Either that or they're just dumb.

Roland St. Jude
2009-06-29, 04:43 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Maybe later. But the policy is don't restart locked threads without permission. (And don't ask for permission right now - these things benefit from a cooling off period.)