PDA

View Full Version : Rugby?

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-29, 04:46 PM
I'm from the USA and have never seen a game of rugby. How does it work? What makes it different from (american) football.
Note: this is not a thread where you insult somebody elses sport.

Nameless
2009-06-29, 04:49 PM
Imagine American Football, only with no body armour, more contact, and you can't run more then a meter before getting knocked over. >.>

Dihan
2009-06-29, 04:56 PM
Indeed. Imagine American Football without all the padding and then make it global. :smalltongue:

Adlan
2009-06-29, 04:59 PM
Union or League. An important question in some parts.

Now, the basic jist is, you can't throw the ball forwards, you will get hurt, and you start the game with a massive group mob scrum of strength and bollocks.

Its not gay if it's rugby.

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-29, 05:00 PM
Union or League. An important question in some parts.

Now, the basic jist is, you can't throw the ball forwards, you will get hurt, and you start the game with a massive group mob scrum of strength and bollocks.

Its not gay if it's rugby.

which one's more popular?

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-29, 05:02 PM
does rugby have yards and downs and all that jazz?

Adlan
2009-06-29, 05:06 PM
Union.

I really can't be bothered to write up rules stuff with rugby, there's good wiki articles that do it better and in more depth than I could be arsed to do.

Rugby culture is interesting though.

Dr. Bath
2009-06-29, 05:07 PM
does rugby have yards and downs and all that jazz?

Whats and whats? I don't think so. Of the games I have played/watched the game is stopped far less often than American Football. It's basically slow grinds of scrums (piles of sweaty men fighting for a ball) followed by someone legging it towards one of the goals before being brutally tackled again and a new pile of players starts.

Admittedly I don't really know the rules proper, this is just the view of a relative outsider.

Mauve Shirt
2009-06-29, 05:18 PM
Rugby is a popular sport for the chicks at my school. I've never seen them playing though.

raitalin
2009-06-29, 05:20 PM
Saying rugby is anything like Gridiron Football shows a poor understanding of American football. Rugby shares a lot more with soccer than gridiron.

Rugby lacks:

Yards markers & Downs, therefore also lacking the line of scrimmage, a distinguishing between an offense and a defensive team and the ultra-specialized positions of Gridiron (i.e. its illegal for some positions on the offense to receive the ball in gridiron). This is the main difference, and the reason gridiron stops so often and rugby is played more like soccer, with the ball staying live when a player is tackled.

Forward Pass, and therefore dedicated quarterbacks & receivers.

While contact may be more common in rugby, its more intense in gridiron. The gridiron lines sole purpose is to run headlong into each other. This and the impact a defensive back makes running into a wide receiver are the reason for the padding in gridiron.

Kickers, kickoffs and punts.

Granted, this is just from my understanding of rugby based off wiki articles and the brief viewing of a couple of games. Like gridiron, the rules of rugby are nearly indecipherable unless you've got someone with you to explain the rules while watching a game.

skywalker
2009-06-29, 06:20 PM
Saying rugby is anything like Gridiron Football shows a poor understanding of American football.

All of your other information is accurate, but this part is not. Touchdowns come directly from rugby "tries." The Ivy League (where American Football was born) was playing rugby until Walter Camp introduced the down-and-distance rules in the late 1800s. This is what created American Football. The forward pass came later. Most of the differences between American football and rugby have evolved from the down-and-distance rules, and the forward pass.

Rugby lacks:

Yards markers & Downs, therefore also lacking the line of scrimmage, a distinguishing between an offense and a defensive team and the ultra-specialized positions of Gridiron (i.e. its illegal for some positions on the offense to receive the ball in gridiron). This is the main difference, and the reason gridiron stops so often and rugby is played more like soccer, with the ball staying live when a player is tackled.

Forward Pass, and therefore dedicated quarterbacks & receivers.

While contact may be more common in rugby, its more intense in gridiron. The gridiron lines sole purpose is to run headlong into each other. This and the impact a defensive back makes running into a wide receiver are the reason for the padding in gridiron.

Kickers, kickoffs and punts.

Granted, this is just from my understanding of rugby based off wiki articles and the brief viewing of a couple of games. Like gridiron, the rules of rugby are nearly indecipherable unless you've got someone with you to explain the rules while watching a game.

All of this is accurate, but I think a little more explanation is in order.

First off, while kickers and kickoffs don't exist in rugby, I would argue that punts do. On 4th down in American football, a team will often punt the ball in favor of gaining good field position for their defense. In rugby, it is oftentimes advantageous for a player to kick the ball from his backfield so that his team will get good field position. This is the same principle and the two kicks look almost identical.

Second, while not every player on the field is eligible to receive a forward pass, every player on the field is eligible to receive a lateral, just like in rugby.

However, with an understanding of both games, it is easy to see how one evolved from the other. After watching a game of rugby, I watched a tape of "The Greatest Game Ever Played" (of American football, from the 1950s) and was shocked by how similar it was to rugby, especially compared to today's American football.

I think it is best to say that the principles of the two games are similar. Rugby and American football are far more similar than football and basketball or baseball. They are both part of the "football" family of sports.

However, it is true that rugby union (which is the far more likely sport to be exposed to) lacks down-and-distance rules, and the forward pass. When a ball carrier is brought down, he is required to place the ball on the ground. This is similar to fumbling in American football, and creates a similar situation (altho the chaos that takes place in rugby is far more codified and regulated).

There are also a larger number of ways to score by kicking the ball through the uprights in rugby.

Finally, there are a variety of "set-piece" plays that occur to restart play, such as when the ball leaves the playing area. The scrum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_(rugby_union)) is a set piece that occurs when possession needs to be decided, somewhat like a faceoff in hockey, in my opinion.

Overall, these rules differences contribute to make a sport that is like what everyone else has already said. Rugby requires more endurance (because of the constant play) and less explosive speed. The specialized forward throwing abilities of quarterbacks are absent. Like raitalin said, wide receivers don't exist, but I think the rest of the offense is noticeably similar to a rugby team. The linemen in American football are of similar size and shape to forwards in rugby, altho rugby forwards are generally quite a bit more mobile. The backs are rather similar to rugby backs, altho of course most modern American backs can't kick (some can, and triple threat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_threat) backs used to be in high demand).

Most significantly to the American football fan, in my opinion, is not the lack of the QB or receivers, but of the cornerback, which is one of the most athletic yet most specialized positions in sports.

raitalin
2009-06-30, 05:04 AM
I should have been more specific and said that the previous responses overly simplified the similarities between the two games. I understand that gridiron evolved from rugby, but the games are incredibly different now. Not just a difference of pads and the forward pass.

Monkeyking
2009-06-30, 05:51 PM
Well, let's see if I can make a play of this, I would say, with some bias, that I may know a little more about the mechanics and rules of Rugby.....I'm from NZ and its supposedly our sport, even though we kind of suck at it at the moment.

The game starts with a kick. Everytime there is a try or points are scored, there is a kickoff. The ball can not be passed forwards at all. A forward pass stops play and possession goes to the other team.

A rugby team, although all one team is actually split into two different groups, the forwards and the backs. The forwards are the larger men who are usually the ones that run straight towards someone with the ball, think kamikaze in someways. The forwards are also the ones in the lineouts (more to come) and the scrums (more to come)

The backs are usually the faster ones. They are usually more dextrous and it is ther job to run around the opposition or figure out a way that the number of players on one side (left or right) means they have a number advantage.

Now, play starts in rugby with a kick. The ball is then run forward, usually by a back or forward or even punted back. The person is tackled at some point and this is where it gets slightly tricky. When the person is on the ground, he has to release the ball, he can not hold it any longer. Many players when tackled, fall and place the ball down for best advantage to their team. Now, what usually happens is a few players rush to push the other team away from the ball so their team can get the ball. This is called a maul, and yes, the guys on the ground are usually run over by their own players or the opposing players who are wearing sprigged boots, it's not the nicest feeling having metal pronged boots raked across your body.

That is the main mechanics. When the ball is lost forward or forward passed, or a number of other infringements, possession could be contested. So we get a scrum. One team starts with the ball. You have 6 men on both teams lock up together, 3 in front, 2 behind and 1 behind them. The ball is dropped into the middle of both teams who then push against eachother to get possession of the ball. The man in the middle of both teams is the hooker, and his job is to hook the ball back for his team. so a scrum isnt just a pile of men all intertwined, its a team strength thing.

When the ball is kicked or moved out of bounds, you have a throw in. Both teams have a number of players line up next to eachother and the ball is thrown straight down the middle by the team that has possession. The advantage of throwing the ball is you can tell your team in code, where the ball is going and who should jump. The other team has to try and get the ball.

Now, in all plays there is a line of scrimmage. What this means is that if anyone who passes that line before the ball is in play is offside if they get possession. Scrums line is through the middle of the two teams in the scrum. The throw ins have line of scrimmage down the middle and the mauls, once it has been worked out that one team has possession, the line is along where the ball lies.

There are a number of other elements that I could go into, but Rugby is usually fast paced and no forward passes. I know I missed lots and probably skimmed stuff I take for granted but yeah, thats the jist of things...

Thialfi
2009-06-30, 09:09 PM
How it usually works in America is that it is an excuse for grown men to get together and cosume copious quantities of alcoholic beverages.

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-30, 10:30 PM
Does every country have one team or lots of teams that all play eachother?

billtodamax
2009-06-30, 10:34 PM
Quite a few European countries have teams (Britland, France, Italy, etc.) and I'd have to assume that they have inner country tournaments. Australia and NZ have teams, and Australia certainly has a city vs city tournament.

An Enemy Spy
2009-06-30, 11:47 PM
Whats and whats?

In football, the basic goal is to adance down the field and score. to do this you must get first downs. Wherever your drive starts, you have to get ten yards up the field from that spot. You have four tries, called downs. Once you get across the first down line it starts again from whever the ball carrier went down. If you ever watch football on TV you'll notice a yellow line that represents the first down line. I take it rugby has no such thing?

Anuan
2009-07-01, 01:05 AM
In regards to the earlier comment, Australia has multiple teams and competitions.

On that point, I'd like to mention that the 2005 West Tiger's victory in the NRL Grand Final was amazing.and my dad still owes me $200

skywalker
2009-07-01, 01:30 AM
I take it rugby has no such thing?

As was said, whenever a player is tackled in rugby union, he must immediately place the ball on the ground, where a "maul" or "ruck" can be started by players from his side and the opposing side. So, no, in rugby union, there is no such thing as a "set of downs."

In rugby league, the attacking team gets six chances to score the ball (this is more similar to American football). If they are tackled six times without scoring, they must hand the ball to the defending team at the spot of the sixth tackle. Because of this, the offense generally kicks away the ball before the 6th tackle can occur. This is rather similar to punting on 4th down in American football.

Exeson
2009-07-01, 04:05 AM
Rugby is perhaps one of the funnest games you can play, but it also messes you over, not so much with big injuries but more just it slowly destroys your body, especially your joints due to the impact, aggressive changes in speed and direction and the obligatory drinking with the opposing team after the match.

Om
2009-07-01, 07:09 AM
Does every country have one team or lots of teams that all play eachother?Its organised on both an international and club level. Internationally there are 10 'Tier 1' nations which would comprise the leading nations - although there's quite some variation between the likes of the New Zealand and Italy - and these national teams play in either the Six Nations (Europe) or the Tri-Nations (Southern Hemisphere). Argentina, IIRC, are about to join the latter. After that there's about half a dozen 'minnows' in Tier 2 (including the US) and then a whole host in Tier 3. So its only a major sport in about a dozen nations

These are usually the countries that have professional leagues at club level. Some nations (such as France & England) have their own national leagues while clubs in other (the Celtic nations and Super 14) play in transnational leagues and other competitions. Its a very international sport, for example all European clubs will compete for the Heineken Cup

Yarram
2009-07-01, 08:55 AM
Because rugby players don't wear armour, they can include inappropriate actions into tackles, like dakking and like the Hopawati. (Named and made famous by a player who continually stuck his thumb up his opponents ****)

EDIT: Also note, that all beer drank during display of teams on the news, has them all drinking the same type, and every label is pointed at the camera.

Vizen
2009-07-01, 10:00 AM
EDIT: Also note, that all beer drank during display of teams on the news, has them all drinking the same type, and every label is pointed at the camera.

Oh...Oh gods...You're right. IT'S A CONSPIRACY.

Though I see the All Blacks on TV often enough. Supporting this, and supporting that, and hey look! Dan Carter is on that billboard over there in some brand of underwear he's the face of!

EDIT: @^: I'm surprised at how disturbed I am about your second paragraph as opposed to your first. I suddenly feel very weird.

skywalker
2009-07-01, 10:44 AM
Because rugby players don't wear armour, they can include inappropriate actions into tackles, like dakking and like the Hopawati. (Named and made famous by a player who continually stuck his thumb up his opponents ****)

Inappropriate actions occur in all sports. Maybe not to that level, but there are other things that occur during close contact so that referees don't catch it. Rugby is hardly unique there.

And of course they all drink the same beer. I mean, first off, if you were going to provide beer for 2 whole rugby sides, wouldn't you buy in bulk? But actually I'm sure it's a sponsorship deal, no biggie...

orchitect
2009-07-05, 04:22 PM
I hear ya on the beer thing. The group I played with a bit always talked about drinking and partying. Its kind of barbaric actually, the culture. But, you do find the guys who just want to have a good game and go home to wife and kids.

Yarram
2009-07-05, 08:39 PM
And of course they all drink the same beer. I mean, first off, if you were going to provide beer for 2 whole rugby sides, wouldn't you buy in bulk? But actually I'm sure it's a sponsorship deal, no biggie...
But the point is the convenient orientation of the bottles so the brand is displayed during news programs. There shouldn't be subliminal advertising in news programs. =P