tenser's floating disk
create campsite

at-will powers
ghost sound
light
mage hand
prestidigitation
scorching burst
magic missile(cast at the darkness as often as possible to get a laugh)

encounter powers
Fey step
wand of accuracy
force orb
icy rays

daily powers
sleep
flaming sphere

utility powers
feather fall
shield

Kurald Galain
2009-06-29, 06:15 PM
str: 8
con: 10
dex:18
int:18
wis:12
cha:12
I'd go with a bit less dex and a bit more int. Yes, start with a 19, why not? Next level you'll get a +1 anyway! Dex only helps you twice per combat (one for initiative, one for your wand); int helps you on every single attack, more if it's an area.

improved initiative
armor proficiency(leather)
Solid but unimpressive. Grab Arcane Power for such gems as Arcane Familiar and Enlarge Spell.

tenser's floating disk
Sure, that's pretty much the only good level-1 ritual in the book.

scorching burst
magic missile(cast at the darkness as often as possible to get a laugh)
Cheap laughs aside, magic missile is quite possibly the worst wizard at-will power. Consider Thunderwave for its pushing and the fact that it works in melee (even with wis 12 it's worth it), or something from Arcane Power, or the area effect debuff from D&D minis (chilling cloud: 10 burst 1, damage + -2 to hit)

Scorching Burst is solid, though.

force orb
icy rays
Icy rays is decent but not spectacular, but force orb is simply bad. Try not to pick powers for damage, but for status conditions. Your L1 power is better spent slowing, weakening or proning the opposition.

sleep
flaming sphere
Excellent powers both.

feather fall
shield
Feather fall is unlikely to come up, ever. Shield is nice for the defense, but if you prefer some versatility and warlord effects I find Jump is much more fun.

RTGoodman
2009-06-29, 06:17 PM
I personally would probably drop Dex to maybe 16 and bump up Con (for Fort/HP/surges) and Wis (for grabbing Orb as a second implement at Paragon tier), but I think you'll find it's pretty hard to make a BAD character in 4E. You might also consider changing that Leather Armor Proficiency, which is okay but not necessary, for Implement Expertise (Wand). I don't think you'll have trouble hitting, but it's basically a must-have feat at higher levels.

Mando Knight
2009-06-29, 06:20 PM
Even though Dexterity is supposed to be your secondary statistic, you've got it way too high for a wand wizard. None of your powers have any effect that is based off of your Dexterity except for your Implement Mastery feature. Pull it down to a 16 after racial modifiers, and invest the points in one of the others. You can easily get 13 in Charisma and Wisdom in order to qualify for feats by doing so, and then place the rest in Constitution. A +1 to hit once per encounter is not as good as a permanent +1 to two defenses.

I would not have brought this up... except that a Wand Wizard with 18s in both Intelligence and Dexterity has redundant +4 modifiers to the same defenses, whereas any of the other Wizard builds with 18 in both Intelligence and the secondary ability will boost two different defenses.

Silentlee
2009-06-29, 06:27 PM
thank for the input. I love this forum.

Silentlee
2009-06-29, 06:31 PM
one more thing...a particular wand i should grab?

Kurald Galain
2009-06-29, 06:55 PM
one more thing...a particular wand i should grab?

No, but there's any number of orbs and staffs that may be interesting. Check my sig!

(and yes, you can wield a wand in your left hand for the to-hit bonus, and an orb/staff/tome in your right hand for the special ability)