PDA

View Full Version : It's over in 7 weeks!?

Stormageddon
2009-06-29, 07:33 PM
Comic 666 Bets that he can wrap things up in 7 weeks. So is that the end of Order of the Stick?

Porthos
2009-06-29, 07:36 PM
Comic 666 Bets that he can wrap things up in 7 weeks. So is that the end of Order of the Stick?

I shall let The Oracle explain things for you. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html) :smallsmile:

Specifically, panel 6. :smallwink:

Besides, what makes one think that Roy will be right about wrapping all of this up in seven weeks, comic time? :smalltongue:

Meg
2009-06-29, 07:38 PM
Don't worry. If there's one thing OOTS has taught me, it NEVER goes down the way anyone thought it would.

mjo625
Well, 7 weeks comic time could conceivably be over a year in real time. And even then, there could be other things to write about i.e. Nale and co.

Of course, that's all irrelevant. The comic is over when Rich doesn't want to make it anymore, which theoretically could be tomorrow.

Cracklord
It's over for Belkar, anyway.
Though I like to see that as a new and better begining.

Squark
2009-06-29, 07:41 PM
Nah, I doubt Rich can tie up all the loose ends in 7 weeks in universe.

mjo625
2009-06-29, 07:48 PM
Nah, I doubt Rich can tie up all the loose ends in 7 weeks in universe.

I've got three words for you:

Deus ex Machina.

Kupi
2009-06-29, 07:52 PM
Haley is misunderstanding what Roy said. I had some trouble with this exchange too. It all rests with Roy's line: "Unless it takes 7 weeks, it's not a problem." Remember that Roy is the only one privy to the fact that Belkar is due to die in a year (from the time of the prophecy). So when he says "Belkar only has seven weeks", Haley, not knowing that Roy means "Belkar is going to die in seven weeks", assumes the most likely ploy that Belkar would undertake (betraying the Order to Xykon). So it looks to her like Roy's saying they'll have Xykon beaten in seven weeks, leaving Belkar no chance to betray them. Hence, "You really think we can beat Xykon in seven weeks?"

Zevox
2009-06-29, 07:56 PM
A) Roy was speaking of 7 in-comic weeks, not 7 real-world weeks.
B) That is merely the timeframe during which we will have Belkar's death (the time until the new year, and Roy was told that Belkar would die before then). Roy would rather have Belkar around to help during the final showdown with Xykon than not - hence his preference for finishing things before Belkar dies. Whether that happens remains to be seen, but I'd doubt it, personally.

Zevox

Haven
2009-06-29, 07:59 PM
Haley is misunderstanding what Roy said. I had some trouble with this exchange too. It all rests with Roy's line: "Unless it takes 7 weeks, it's not a problem." Remember that Roy is the only one privy to the fact that Belkar is due to die in a year (from the time of the prophecy). So when he says "Belkar only has seven weeks", Haley, not knowing that Roy means "Belkar is going to die in seven weeks", assumes the most likely ploy that Belkar would undertake (betraying the Order to Xykon). So it looks to her like Roy's saying they'll have Xykon beaten in seven weeks, leaving Belkar no chance to betray them. Hence, "You really think we can beat Xykon in seven weeks?"

Ooh, I hadn't read the comic that way but it makes a lot more sense to me now! I was wondering where in there Roy had told her about Belkar dying by the end of the year, but re-reading it, it's clear he didn't. And it sounds like Roy means Xykon when he says "someone bony with a black robe" (Xykon doesn't have a big scythe, of course, but maybe Haley's just assuming Roy's talking about some magic item Xykon pulled out during their fight which she didn't see, or something). So it seems to Haley like Roy just picked the end of the year as his goal to defeat Xykon by.

the_tick_rules
2009-06-29, 08:10 PM
7 weeks, bit of an odd number.

retkin
2009-06-29, 08:36 PM
why cant they just raise him after he dies?

Kish
2009-06-29, 08:40 PM
Whyever would they want to do that?

If Roy would feel some obligation to do so--and I would venture that the evidence points very much to "he doesn't" as of this strip--he still has it on the Oracle's authority that they won't be doing so.

Elder Wraith
2009-06-29, 08:42 PM
He could easily tie up all the loose ends in 7 weeks.

:roy: Well, what about the Linear Guild
*Nale's head falls from the sky*
:roy: .....Never mind.

Explaining how, however, is going to take longer.

Aerysil
2009-06-29, 08:44 PM
Why must everyone assume that when someone stops breathing, they die... sigh. Are we reading the same comic, people? :smalltongue:

I'm actually wondering when this arc ends. It would be a little strange to end it on 666.

Jaltum
2009-06-29, 08:46 PM
Well, a) the prophecy indicates they won't (draw his last breath EVER) and b) he's a dangerous psychopath that Roy has indicated that he only keeps around because he'd be more dangerous turned loose and he can't, in good conscious, break faith and kill him.

Working with him is considered morally dubious by Celestia, but allowed, because Roy keeps him under control--bringing him back from the dead, where he can't hurt anyone anymore, would be out of the question.

It's like working with Hannibal Lecter.

Tenebrais
Why must everyone assume that when someone stops breathing, they die... sigh. Are we reading the same comic, people? :smalltongue:

Because the Oracle hasn't just said that he'll draw his last breath.

Berserk Monk

It took them over 100 strips to go through the Dungeon of Dorukan, yet Roy spent 3 months in heaven in like 20 strips. Time in storytelling differs based on the action taking place. 7 weeks could translate into 1,000 strips.

Kalbron
2009-06-29, 08:48 PM
It would be rather hillarious if Belkar's end was actually a heroic sacrifice, which made the rest of the team feel really bad for doubting him... then Tsukiko or Xykon turn him into a Death Knight or something and he happily tries to kill the OotS. ;)

Orodruin
2009-06-29, 08:51 PM
7 OOTS weeks! If the last few comics happened in the span of 15 mins, just imagine how many comics it would take to cover 7 weeks! hehe

Lamech
2009-06-29, 09:10 PM
It would be rather hillarious if Belkar's end was actually a heroic sacrifice, which made the rest of the team feel really bad for doubting him... then Tsukiko or Xykon turn him into a Death Knight or something and he happily tries to kill the OotS. ;)
'cept he isn't long for this world. Belkar is leaving the story. He's getting kicked off plane.
Not breathing is easy with a magic item.
No birthday cake is easy if he develops trauma or stops aging.
Being told not to fund his IRA would cause most people to assume its going to collaspe.
But he is leaving the world. He is leaving the story. He's probably ending up dead.

Haley is misunderstanding what Roy said. I had some trouble with this exchange too. It all rests with Roy's line: "Unless it takes 7 weeks, it's not a problem." Remember that Roy is the only one privy to the fact that Belkar is due to die in a year (from the time of the prophecy). So when he says "Belkar only has seven weeks", Haley, not knowing that Roy means "Belkar is going to die in seven weeks", assumes the most likely ploy that Belkar would undertake (betraying the Order to Xykon). So it looks to her like Roy's saying they'll have Xykon beaten in seven weeks, leaving Belkar no chance to betray them. Hence, "You really think we can beat Xykon in seven weeks?" This comic makes so much more sense to me now. Kupi, your brilliant.

dspeyer
2009-06-29, 09:10 PM
Given that the past 40 strips cover less than 2 hours, there's probably plenty of story left.

The 7 week thing seems a bit of an assumption on Roy's part. The Oracle said Belkar's last breath would be "before the end of the year", but we already know there are multiple calenders in use.

kusje
2009-06-29, 09:12 PM

Sadly, that doesn't explain Roy's bet. Either Roy meant they can beat Xykon in 7 weeks or Roy was deliberately trying to mislead Haley.

Zevox
2009-06-29, 09:15 PM
Because the Oracle has said far more to indicate his death than just the "last breath" euphemism. The other hint from the same comic as that prophecy, "not long for this world," in particular is a very clear euphemism for death with no logical wiggle room for other interpretations, particularly when taken in tandem with the rest of what the Oracle has said.

Belkar will die, and he will not come back. Simple as that. I'm not happy about the idea myself, but the evidence is clear.

Zevox

Haven
2009-06-29, 09:41 PM

I'm actually wondering when this arc ends. It would be a little strange to end it on 666.

Right, it's just like the time Haley got her voice back because a horse covered in wrapping paper and a little bow called out for her, and she made absolutely sure not to look in its mouth. :smallannoyed:

Boogastreehouse
2009-06-29, 09:55 PM

Deus ex Machina.

Three more words:

Over-cited literary device.

Seriously, I'll bet ten gold pieces that in this forum, in 2009, more people have typed "Deus ex Machina," or some variant thereof, than have typed "Thog."

Elfin
2009-06-29, 10:02 PM
7 in-game weeks, not real time. And that could still be a lot of strips.

moondog
2009-06-29, 10:55 PM

such a prime point you make here...

Cleverdan22
2009-06-29, 11:05 PM
No, as far as I can tell, Roy was being pretty specific without making it a big thing about Belkar dying. The thing about the big black robe and scythe wasn't an elaborate lie constructed by Roy to fool the teams resident con-woman, it was him telling her Belkar is going to die. The seven weeks thing was probably because having as many higher-level PCs on the team is going to be very helpful.

But yeah, seven weeks in comic-time is going to take a good long while. Just think about the Order's original adventure, in the Dungeon of Dorukan. 120 comics, a very short amount of canon time. I'd say we're a little over halfway through the comic, but that's just my guess.

mjo625
2009-06-30, 12:16 AM
Three more words:

Seriously, I'll bet ten gold pieces that in this forum, in 2009, more people have typed "Deus ex Machina," or some variant thereof, than have typed "Thog."

Which proves my point that it's a valid possibility. Thank you.

HZ514
2009-06-30, 12:51 AM
Three more words:

So true. Deus ex machina only truly occurs when something completely random resolves a significant issue. Just because you failed to notice the chekov's gun from hundreds of strips ago? Does not make the eventual (and natural) resolution said over-cited literary device.

Boogastreehouse
2009-06-30, 01:10 AM

Deus ex Machina.

Three more words:

Which proves my point that it's a valid possibility. Thank you.

While it doesn't disprove your point, I certainly don't think my observation proves it.

My comment is meant to point out how trendy it has become lately to slap a "Deus ex Machina" label onto any event which is remotely surprising.

Three more words:

So true. Deus ex machina only truly occurs when something completely random resolves a significant issue. Just because you failed to notice the chekov's gun from hundreds of strips ago? Does not make the eventual (and natural) resolution said over-cited literary device.

This. This here. Right here. This.

jamroar
2009-06-30, 01:37 AM
Sadly, that doesn't explain Roy's bet. Either Roy meant they can beat Xykon in 7 weeks or Roy was deliberately trying to mislead Haley.

Although Roy might actually have a plan as the basis for his optimism (involving whatever he sent Roy's archon off to do).

Anyway, why assume the defeat of Xykon will mean the end of the strip when far greater threats have made their appearance? (The Snarl itself, the IFCC).

mjo625
2009-06-30, 01:51 AM
It was a joke, relax.

Boaromir
2009-06-30, 01:55 AM
It was a joke, relax.

You're in the wrong forum for those, sir/ma'am!

HZ514
2009-06-30, 01:59 AM
Why wouldn't Roy think he can beat Xykon in 7 weeks? We all know it probably won't happen because there are too many plot threads to resolved. But Roy possibly isn't privy to most of those (Elan/Haley's fathers, IFCC's existence, Durkon's prophecies, etc.) and he isn't Elan, so it's not like he expects to defeat Xykon at the last possible moment. In other words, he has every reason to want to defeat Xykon (for good) at Girard's gate, never even going to Kraagor's.

As for some other baddy replacing X? Yeah, no. Xykon's been established, developed, and backstoried. Rich subverts a lot of things, but he also follows some. The IFCC is below big-bad-capability, but good subplot potential. The snarl is above big-bad-capability, because it's, well, a deity-killing abomination. It's less of a character, more of the literal apocalypse. It's the thing the heroes prevent from ever being released by the big bad, but Xykon is still the big bad.

Edea
2009-06-30, 02:20 AM
Personal opinion and epileptic tree following.

I'd presume Belkar is slain by the Snarl, either by error or by design, during the imminent 'Girard's Gate' subquest (much like Kraagor was slain, sort of a mirror between the two parties (their both having the barbarian class isn't really relevant, but cute)). That's pretty much the only guaranteed way we've seen so far to permanently remove someone from the OotS picture. It's been mentioned before numerous times but (to me at least) is worth repeating.

Also, in no way is #666 a guarantee that the party is actually going to finish the main quest seven weeks from now from an in-comic perspective. Not that it means much (as she doesn't ALWAYS lose), but do note that Haley frequently loses these bets with Roy; this timeframe is given to us solely to provide a frame of reference for Belkar's shelf life, and as a springboard to sneak in a class joke.

Borris
2009-06-30, 02:31 AM
All we know is that Belkar will be dead in seven in-comic weeks. Nothing tells us that Xykon will have been defeated by that time. Xykon might get destroyed around the same tie as Belkar's death, or it could be months later. Sure, the Order of the Stick wouldn't be the same without Death's little helper, but the story certainly can go on without him.

Gilthans
2009-06-30, 02:44 AM
And it sounds like Roy means Xykon when he says "someone bony with a black robe" (Xykon doesn't have a big scythe, of course, but maybe Haley's just assuming Roy's talking about some magic item Xykon pulled out during their fight which she didn't see, or something).
Actually, I'm pretty certain that was a Grim Reaper reference, not something so elaborate...

such a prime point you make here...
Sir, you win the internet.

Haven
2009-06-30, 06:45 AM
Actually, I'm pretty certain that was a Grim Reaper reference, not something so elaborate...

Well, yeah. But my point is, boney and black robed also describes their primary antagonist, and absent the context of Belkar dying that's who Haley thinks Roy is talking about.

Mystic Muse
2009-06-30, 06:48 AM
Well, yeah. But my point is, boney and black robed also describes their primary antagonist, and absent the context of Belkar dying that's who Haley thinks Roy is talking about.

except death is the only one who is bony with black robes and scythe in OOTS. or at least the only one Roy could possibly be referencing.

Snake-Aes
2009-06-30, 06:54 AM
Because the Oracle hasn't just said that he'll draw his last breath.

If you want to stretch it, it's actually quite simple, he could be turned into an undead!

But that matters little, I guess.

Avilan the Grey
2009-06-30, 07:07 AM
Belkar will die, and he will not come back. Simple as that. I'm not happy about the idea myself, but the evidence is clear.

Zevox

Please don't reminde me that I will have to stop reading this comic then...:smalleek: OOTs without Belkar would be... oh so empty, so horribly empty...

Yendor
2009-06-30, 07:44 AM

No, it doesn't. Xykon's robe is blue.

Nerdanel
2009-06-30, 07:45 AM
Xykon actually has a blue robe, so of Roy's description only "bony" fits Xykon.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-06-30, 05:10 PM

Pun intended?

73 Bits of Lint
2009-06-30, 05:20 PM
Personal opinion and epileptic tree following.

I'd presume Belkar is slain by the Snarl, either by error or by design, during the imminent 'Girard's Gate' subquest (much like Kraagor was slain, sort of a mirror between the two parties (their both having the barbarian class isn't really relevant, but cute)). That's pretty much the only guaranteed way we've seen so far to permanently remove someone from the OotS picture.
Belkar dying at all would be enough to remove him permanently. Haley, V, and Roy have both made it pretty clear that they're not happy having him around. Durkon and Elan aren't as vocal as the others, but I doubt they'd object to burning Belkar's corpse and dumping the ashes in a lake.

Edea
2009-06-30, 05:41 PM
Belkar dying at all would be enough to remove him permanently. Haley, V, and Roy have both made it pretty clear that they're not happy having him around. Durkon and Elan aren't as vocal as the others, but I doubt they'd object to burning Belkar's corpse and dumping the ashes in a lake.

Well, the PCs wouldn't want to, sure. But I'm not thinking about the PCs wanting to resurrect him; Belkar is a pretty powerful destructive force who knows a good bit about the other party members, and if any of the wide variety of opponents to the PCs got wind of where his remains were/that he died and wasn't raised...he might 'become a recurring villain' (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html) . Belkar's a major enough character for this to be a possibility (unlike Therkla, Crystal or Kubota), especially given that V's probably going to witness his death, and ergo so are the IFCC and, in turn, Sabine (hello, Linear Guild).

Cracklord
2009-06-30, 05:47 PM
Please don't reminde me that I will have to stop reading this comic then...:smalleek: OOTs without Belkar would be... oh so empty, so horribly empty...

Well the comic won't suffer from that. If you only read it for one reason then you would have left sooner or later anyway.

Red XIV
2009-06-30, 07:17 PM
Well, the PCs wouldn't want to, sure. But I'm not thinking about the PCs wanting to resurrect him; Belkar is a pretty powerful destructive force who knows a good bit about the other party members, and if any of the wide variety of opponents to the PCs got wind of where his remains were/that he died and wasn't raised...he might 'become a recurring villain' (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html) . Belkar's a major enough character for this to be a possibility (unlike Therkla, Crystal or Kubota), especially given that V's probably going to witness his death, and ergo so are the IFCC and, in turn, Sabine (hello, Linear Guild).
Which is why you'd do something like burn the body and dump the ashed in a lake. Or just have V say "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind." There are ways to prevent a resurrection.

Kish
2009-06-30, 07:52 PM
It occurs to me that we've really come a long way from the hanging scene and "BELKAR! NO! Truly, he was the best of us."

subject42
2009-06-30, 08:14 PM
why cant they just raise him after he dies?

Disintegrate, gust of wind?

Beorn080
2009-06-30, 08:26 PM
Well, if someone gets their hands on a True Resurrection, I think you don't need remains for that one. Though I truly suspect an undead revive via Tsukiko for Belkar. Not sure what crazy, superpowered undead would pop out, but you know it would be crazy. And giant sized, since he was jipped in that department by birth.

NerfTW
2009-06-30, 09:02 PM
It occurs to me that we've really come a long way from the hanging scene and "BELKAR! NO! Truly, he was the best of us."

Well, he has done worse things since then, like murder a guard, drove Miko to try killing him, considered switching sides, murdered an innocent gnome merchant, murdered the Oracle, and is no longer bound by the Mark of Justice to stay with the group.

Side note, since that always elicits a response of "but he didn't leave before!", keep in mind that first he had a contract and things to kill and loot. Then Roy tricked him into thinking he could kill and loot things on the way to get star metal. Immediately after that they were found and then captured by Miko. Then the mark of justice. Without that, Belkar would never have stuck around, possibly even for the Cliffport quest.

73 Bits of Lint
2009-06-30, 09:46 PM
Death makes the heart grow fonder.
I'm not saying V won't go into "He was a worthy opponent"-mode after Belkar is gone. She might even leave him an elegy written in Explosive Runes on the spot where he died, and Elan might attempt a musical montage.
But are they going to bring him back, or run the risk of someone else bringing him back and then having to explain to him why they felt it was better to leave him dead? Hell no.

cRunchdaR
2009-06-30, 09:53 PM
And also when he mentions the skeletal being in a black robe, I think that he was referring to "death" not Xykon. I am almost seeing it as Rich figured we'd all realize that but underestimated the guessing power of his fan base. Roy was talking about Death, not Xykon

Ellye
2009-06-30, 10:29 PM
Another small thing: there are seven weeks before the end of the year. It doesn't mean that Belkar has seven weeks to live - he may die before the end of the year. Seven weeks is the upper limit here, but I also think it seems dramatic likely that he'll die at the last day of the year.

kusje
2009-06-30, 10:29 PM
Um good aligned characters? Team mates?

If Roy expected the party to try their best to resurrect him when he died, I'd argue that they have a similar obligation to Belkar if he died in combat (and not while betraying the party). It doesn't matter if they don't want to and don't like it, they are obligated to do so.

Kish
2009-06-30, 10:33 PM

If Roy expected the party to try their best to resurrect him when he died, I'd argue that they have a similar obligation to Belkar if he died in combat (and not while betraying the party). It doesn't matter if they don't want to and don't like it, they are obligated to do so.
However, from the latest strip, I would say it's obvious Roy has no plans to do so, and I will be quite surprised if anyone else in the Order (even Durkon) shows any more feeling of responsibility toward Belkar.

mjo625
2009-06-30, 11:47 PM
Given the phrasing of the prophecy, I would expect something to occur that would make even a true resurrection impossible. A soul bind, perhaps. Personally, what I would really like to see:

Xykon becomes a demi-lich, and he hits Belkar with a Trap the Soul. We are treated to Xykon making continuous jokes about how delicious Belkar's soul is. That Mama Bitterleaf's +2 circumstance bonus ingredient really gives it that extra something.

Kiren
2009-06-30, 11:56 PM
It said in the panel linked on the first page "Draw his last breath" this does not necessarily mean death, don't forget undeath.

Nimrod's Son
2009-07-01, 12:05 AM
It said in the panel linked on the first page "Draw his last breath" this does not necessarily mean death, don't forget undeath.
It'll have to be in some other world, then, 'cause Belkar ain't long for this one. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html)

spectralphoenix
2009-07-01, 12:31 AM
Judging from the fact that the comic switched to a 4-digit numbering system for the page URLs sometime, I'd guess the Giant still has a good deal of OotS planned.

Cracklord
2009-07-01, 02:05 AM

This parrot is no more. It has ceased to be. It has passed on. It has met it's maker. It is no longer with us. This, is an Ex-Parrot.

Jaltum
2009-07-01, 05:20 AM

Only if they value friendship and loyalty over, you know... good and evil. None of them are that lawful; if they were, they wouldn't hanging out with Belkar in the first place. Roy is more Good than Lawful, explicitly confirmed by the Deva, and Durkon seems to just barely tolerate Belkar's existence as it is.

Belkar is a horrible monster who deserves to die. The Order is barely able to justify hanging out with him by the fact that they have managed to keep his evil in check from what it would be otherwise, as specifically verified by the Deva.

If he is dead, his evil otherwise would be zero. Bringing him back would make them responsible for everything and everyone he kills thereafter. No one wants that on their head.

EDIT: Actually, strike friendship--no one in the party considers Belkar a friend.

Hacktor
2009-07-01, 05:48 AM
Thog ex Machina... what's he doing there anyway? :smallwink:

HealthKit
2009-07-01, 10:00 AM
Only if they value friendship and loyalty over, you know... good and evil. None of them are that lawful; if they were, they wouldn't hanging out with Belkar in the first place. Roy is more Good than Lawful, explicitly confirmed by the Deva, and Durkon seems to just barely tolerate Belkar's existence as it is.

Belkar is a horrible monster who deserves to die. The Order is barely able to justify hanging out with him by the fact that they have managed to keep his evil in check from what it would be otherwise, as specifically verified by the Deva.

If he is dead, his evil otherwise would be zero. Bringing him back would make them responsible for everything and everyone he kills thereafter. No one wants that on their head.

EDIT: Actually, strike friendship--no one in the party considers Belkar a friend.

You know, everyone else seems to be trying to figure out all sorts of ways on how to get around the Oracle's prophesies regarding Belkar's death and can't grasp the idea that he might really die and not come back.

It's my sincere hope that he has a falling out with the rest of the Order, dies, and no one wants him brought back to life.

There, I said it.

Blackjackg
2009-07-01, 10:10 AM
The conversation in 666 certainly seems to suggest that the story, and not just Belkar's life, will be over in seven in-game weeks. Aside from the fact that Roy (recently returned from the afterlife, and therefore wise and insightful) actually says they can finish it in time, this is exactly the sort of scene that announces the beginning of the end of the story.

Seven weeks is ample time to tie up all of the loose ends (or rather, enough of the loose ends to call the story over... we should be left with a few loose threads at the completion). After all, we've just seen explicitly exactly how much can be accomplished in ten minutes (and we have seen before just how much resolution can be fit into one night! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0401.html)). We have also seen how many strips can be spent on such small spans of time... there is no reason whatsoever that Rich couldn't stretch that forty-nine days into two hundred strips or more.

Nonetheless, I do think that the beginning of the new year (in-game) heralds the timely and appropriate end of the Order of the Stick.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-01, 11:05 AM

This is why I think Belkar will be taken out by the Snarl. There is an obligation implied that your employer will take care of you for any injuries suffered on the job. Death is a recoverable injury in this story, all you need is someone willing to bring you back, the right magical materials, and a willingness in yourself to come back. Any "normal, adventuring related" death should be covered by the team charter, and failure to bring back Belkar could conceivably lead to the break up of the Order due to contract violation.

(I had a piece on Miko, but deleted it to prevent a thread derail.)

Optimystik
2009-07-01, 11:34 AM
Any "normal, adventuring related" death should be covered by the team charter, and failure to bring back Belkar could conceivably lead to the break up of the Order due to contract violation.

What contracts? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0294.html) :smallwink:

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-01, 11:55 AM
What contracts? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0294.html) :smallwink:

I forgot about that strip! :smallredface:

But there is still the implied contract. Roy doesn't have any legal claim that Haley and the rest must revive him, but they did so anyway. Belkar also doesn't have a contract, but he still has the same reason to expect his teammates will make a reasonable effort to bring him back until Xykon is defeated and the world is saved. Until the next world threatening problem comes along...

Zevox
2009-07-01, 01:47 PM
I forgot about that strip! :smallredface:

But there is still the implied contract. Roy doesn't have any legal claim that Haley and the rest must revive him, but they did so anyway. Belkar also doesn't have a contract, but he still has the same reason to expect his teammates will make a reasonable effort to bring him back until Xykon is defeated and the world is saved. Until the next world threatening problem comes along...
Er, what? They brought back Roy because he was the team leader, a great friend to most of them (everyone sans V and Belkar, and V at least respected him), and was obviously the main thing that held the group together to begin with.

Belkar, they have no reason to bring back. He's just a decent asset during battle. Nobody likes him - on the contrary, V and Roy in particular hate him, and Haley isn't far behind them. And there's always the danger of him betraying them, as he nearly did back in Azure City, until his short attention span and desire to throw Mr. Scruffy in someone's face got the better of him. He most certainly does not have any reason to expect the Order to raise him if he does, much less the same ones Roy did.

Zevox

factotum
2009-07-01, 01:51 PM
The conversation in 666 certainly seems to suggest that the story, and not just Belkar's life, will be over in seven in-game weeks. Aside from the fact that Roy (recently returned from the afterlife, and therefore wise and insightful) actually says they can finish it in time, this is exactly the sort of scene that announces the beginning of the end of the story.

I disagree. I don't see this scene as announcing anything more than the end of the book. Just because Roy is recently returned from the afterlife doesn't improve his Wisdom in any way--it just means he knows a little more than everyone else, including the fact that Belkar is destined to die sometime during those seven weeks. Besides, they're on the Western Continent, and there are a heck of a lot of loose ends to tie up, some of which require them to be back on the Eastern continent (Durkon's posthumous return to his homeland bringing great death and destruction, for instance).