PDA

View Full Version : Dipsomancer: A PrC

ilovefire
2005-12-22, 10:48 PM
as someone said in the Threepenny Fencer Topic,

A drunken swashbuckler prestige class!

Take this, the Drunken Master monk PrC, add a Booze-mage (Wild Mage variant) and a Cleric of Dionysus and I will have the perfect mad-cap swashbuckling adventure party!

I have decided to provide the Booze-Mage, though it isn't quite a Wild Mage variant. Without Further Ado, I present the Dipsomancer, version one. Constructive Criticism greatly appreciated.

Dipsomancer, Version One
Ten Level PrC
Requirements
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast third level arcane spells
Skills: Spellcraft: 8 ranks, Knowledge: Arcana 8 ranks
Feats: Any metamagic feat, Brew Potion, Craft wand
Special: Must have been studying arcane texts for at least nine hours straight, while stark raving drunk, almost unable to stand because of the drunkenness. Must also have no knowledge of what happened to her for at least one week from being so drunk.

BAB progression: As Mystic Theurge
Save Progression: As Mystic Theurge
Profiencies: the Dipsomancer gains no weapon or armor profiencies.
Each level, the Dipsomancer gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable), as if she had gained a level in one of her current arcane casting classes.

Special Abilities per level
Lvl 1: Drink yourself Smart, Beer Goggles 1/day
Lvl 2: Drunken Casting
Lvl 3: Beer Goggles 2/day
Lvl 4: Brew Your Own Beer
Lvl 5: Beer Goggles 3/day
Lvl 6: Mystical Brew
Lvl 7: Drink yourself to Life
Lvl 8: Beer Goggles 4/day
Lvl 9: Tankard Crafting
Lvl 10: Casting Clarity

Special Abilities
Drink Yourself Smart: When the Dipsomancer drinks a bottle of wine, mug of ale, or an equal amount of alcohol, she gains a +2 bonus to her casting stat, be it Wisdom, Intelligence, or Charisma. She also takes a -2 penalty to Constitution, with a corresponding drop in maximum hit points. The amount of alcohol a Dipsomancer can use to get this bonus is equal to her class level. At the rate of one point a day, a Dipsomancer recovers from the Constitution damage. However, the bonus to her casting stat drops as well.
Beer Goggles: The Dipsomancer can bring amazing clarity from being stinking drunk. Once a day, the Dipsomancer may add a +20 bonus to a spot or listen check, or use Clairaudience/clairvoyance as a spell like ability, caster level five. This increases to twice a day at level three, three times a day at level five, and finally four times a day at level eight.
Drunken Casting: At level two, a Dipsomancer adds a bonus equal to the number of drunks consumed, and bonuses gotten, from her Drink Yourself Smart ability to all caster level checks. This also drops as the bonuses to her casting stat drops.
Brew Your Own Beer: At level four, a Dipsomancer can make any potion she brews, at the cost of 100 GP, become an alcoholic beverage while retaining it’s former properties.
Mystical Brew: At level six, a Dipsomancer may infuse an alcoholic beverage in her possession with mystical powers, causing it to have a minor magical aura of a random school, and allowing it to spontaneously burst into flame with the proper command word, dealing damage as non-magic fire for five turns.
Drink Yourself to Life: By expending a spell slot of a corresponding spell level, a Dipsomancer can infuse a single alcoholic beverage with the ability to heal damage equal to the level of the spell slot used +1d6.
Tankard Casting: At level nine, a Dipsomancer may make a wand in the shape of a tankard, instead of a wand. Any booze poured inside the tankard will add one charge to it, but the total charges in the ‘wand’ cannot exceed ten charges, however, even at creation.
Casting Clarity: At level ten, a Dipsomancer may always take ten on any concentration check, as long as they are receiving the bonuses from intakeing ten alcoholic drinks. If the ‘alcohol buffer’ ever drops below ten, they may no longer take ten on concentration checks.

bingo_bob
2005-12-22, 11:24 PM
Man this is funny. :D

I just HAVE to use this at some point in time!

Suggestions:

1. Beer Goggles: I'd change this to a normal progression, reaching 4 times a day at lvl 8, and 5 times a day at level 10.
2. Replace 'Drink Yourself to Life' with 'For Medicinal Purposes' as the drunken master class feature. It works pretty well that way.
3. Lower the number of beers needed for 'Casting Clarity' 10 is just too high, you'd need an insane CON score to pull that off.
4. Add 'Drink like a Demon' as an ability. Sure it would be borrowing form another PrC, but it actually works a lot easier than the system you have (For you the increased intelligence lasts an insane amount of time, which is a bit unbalanced). Not only does this ability allow them to gain bonuses DURING combat, it also shortens up the durations to a simpler length.
6. Give them a better Fort progression. They drink a lot, so it makes sense.

ilovefire
2005-12-22, 11:34 PM
allright... yeah. All good points, and taken into account. I really just put Beer Goggles where it was because I hate empty levels, and needed to fill them. But here is Version Two.

Dipsomancer, Version Two
Ten Level PrC
Requirements
Skills: Spellcraft: 8 ranks, Knowledge: Arcana 8 ranks
Special: Must have been studying arcane texts for at least nine hours straight, while stark raving drunk, almost unable to stand because of the drunkenness. Must also have no knowledge of what happened to her for at least one week from being so drunk.

Save Progression: Will and Fort high, Ref low
Each level, the Dipsomancer gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable), as if she had gained a level in one of her current arcane casting classes.

Lvl 1:Drink like a Demon,
Lvl 2: Drunken Casting Beer Goggles 1/day
Lvl 3: Brew Your Own Beer
Lvl 4: Beer Goggles 2/day
Lvl 5: Mystical Brew
Lvl 6: Beer Goggles 3/day
Lvl 7: For Medicinal Purposes
Lvl 10: Drunken Clarity, Beer Goggles 5/day

Special Abilities
Drink like a Demon: Treat as the Drunken Master ability, but the bonuses apply to Intelligence or Wisdom, and the penalties to Strength or Constitution.
Beer Goggles: The Dipsomancer can bring amazing clarity from being stinking drunk. Once a day, the Dipsomancer may add a +20 bonus to a spot or listen check, or use Clairaudience/clairvoyance as a spell like ability, caster level five. This increases to twice a day at level three, three times a day at level five, and finally four times a day at level eight.
Drunken Casting: At level two, a Dipsomancer adds a bonus equal to the number of drunks consumed, and bonuses gotten, from her Drink Yourself Smart ability to all caster level checks. This also drops as the bonuses to her casting stat drops.
Brew Your Own Beer: At level four, a Dipsomancer can make any potion she brews, at the cost of 100 GP, become an alcoholic beverage while retaining it’s former properties.
Mystical Brew: At level six, a Dipsomancer may infuse an alcoholic beverage in her possession with mystical powers, causing it to have a minor magical aura of a random school, and allowing it to spontaneously burst into flame with the proper command word, dealing damage as non-magic fire for five turns.
For Medicinal Purposes: As the Drunken Master ability.
Tankard Casting: At level nine, a Dipsomancer may make a wand in the shape of a tankard, instead of a wand. Any booze poured inside the tankard will add one charge to it, but the total charges in the ‘wand’ cannot exceed ten charges, however, even at creation.
Drunken Clarity: At level ten, a Dipsomancer may always take ten on any concentration check, as long as they are receiving the bonuses from intakeing at least five alcoholic drinks. If the ‘alcohol buffer’ ever drops below five, they may no longer take ten on concentration checks.

bingo_bob
2005-12-22, 11:49 PM
Now this is just perfect! Great work, Ilovefire.

ilovefire
2005-12-22, 11:50 PM
thanks. and considering this is only, what, the second PrC i've made? Maybe I should ask WotC for a job. ::)

Everyman
2005-12-23, 01:00 AM
Holy...you've just created the sole arcane caster class that all dwarves would respect! Sweet!

After looking through it all, I'd like to make a few notes:
1) I'd lower the Knowledge (Arcana) requirement down to 5, and add in Profession (Brewer) 5 as a requirement. After all, if he drinks the alcohol, and knows how to imbue it in his potions, logic dictates that he should at least have a knowledge or brewing techniques. (And yes, there really is a Profession (Brewer) skill in the PHB).
2) Drunken Casting should require it to be used WHILE under the influence of your Drink Like a Demon ability. Using it also uses up a drink o' booze. Otherwise, they can use this sober, assuming they are ever sober.
3) Drunken Casting should only add the number of drinks consumed to caster level, not the bonuses as well. That adjusts your caster level just a tad too much.

Everything else looks great.

PS. Oh, and Tankard Casting is just brilliant.

ilovefire
2005-12-23, 01:19 AM
All three points are true. And yeah, I never meant for Drunken Casting to add the stats bonuses to it, I just worded it wierd. An' 'ere's Version Three!

Dipsomancer
Ten Level PrC
Requirements
Skills: Spellcraft: 5 ranks, Profession: Brewer 5 ranks

Special Abilities
Drink like a Demon: Treat as the Drunken Master ability, but the bonuses apply to Intelligence or Charisma, and the penalties to Strength or Constitution.
Drunken Casting: At level two, a Dipsomancer under her Drink Like a Demon effect adds the number of drinks consumed to her caster level. Using this ability takes up a glass of booze.
For Medicinal Purposes: As the Drunken Master ability
Drunken Clarity: At level ten, a Dipsomancer may always take ten on any concentration check, as long as they are receiving the bonuses from intakeing at least five alcoholic drinks. If the ‘alcohol buffer’ ever drops below five, they may no longer take ten on concentration checks.

Single Shot Zombie
2005-12-23, 01:24 AM
Tankard Casting? Lol, I can just imagine the guy pouring booze in, pointign the tankard at the guy, and nuking him with a fireball or something. ;D

Well, so far we have the Threepenny Fencer (swashbuckler) and the Dipsomancer (spellcaster). Wonder what'll be next in the drunkard prestige classes?

Just a question; could you still DRINK from the "tankard" wand?

ilovefire
2005-12-23, 01:27 AM
Sure, just make sure your not drunk enough to accidently activate a Tankard of Fireball while drinking from it. Cause we can all tell how that would end up.

Single Shot Zombie
2005-12-23, 02:21 AM
Especially since high-alcohol content booze tends to be extremely flammable........

And considerign that the dipsomancer would spend most of his time in taverns........flaming inferno, anyone?

So far, there's the monk (Drunken Master), the rogue/swashbuckler (Threepenny Fencer) and the arcane spellcaster (Dipsomancer).

How about a barbarian mod? Or has that already been done?

ilovefire
2005-12-23, 02:27 AM
not sure, but we can try!

bosssmiley
2005-12-23, 10:00 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA! *hic*

Ow! I am laughing so hard right now it hurts. ;D

My DM will want to strap me across the mouth of a cannon for bringing this to my gaming group's attention when we resume play after Christmas.

Inferno in a tavern? "Save the precious, precious booze!"

And re: the barb mod. "Lager Lout" Prc? Now I've seen it all. ;)

The Prince of Cats
2005-12-23, 10:29 AM
I once kept a PC drunk just by creating rules for a hang-over. Given their situation (stuck in a town under siege by undead and the only survivors), staying drunk seemed more logical than allowing themself to sober up.

Of course, they were a compulsive gambler and so Tymora's sympathy counted for some of their lifespan...

ilovefire
2005-12-23, 03:59 PM
GAH! I JUST RELIZED HOW MUCH I FORGOT TO INCLUDE! but it's here now. Hit Die, skill points per level, and class skills.

Dipsomancer
Ten Level PrC
Requirements
Skills: Spellcraft: 5 ranks, Profession: Brewer 5 ranks

Hit Die: d4

Skill points per level: 2+ INT modifier
Class skills: Knowledge: Arcana, Spellcraft, Profession, Craft, Heal, Concentration

Special Abilities
Drink like a Demon: Treat as the Drunken Master ability, but the bonuses apply to Intelligence or Charisma, and the penalties to Strength or Constitution.
Drunken Casting: At level two, a Dipsomancer under her Drink Like a Demon effect adds the number of drinks consumed to her caster level. Using this ability takes up a glass of booze.
For Medicinal Purposes: As the Drunken Master ability

Don Beegles
2005-12-23, 04:40 PM
when we have enouhg PrCs to make a whole group I so call dibs on playing one if someone makes it a PbP game.

Muzzleflash
2005-12-23, 09:16 PM
The one thing with these two classes is the drinking immediately lowing con and hp.. while it should do that over time, I think that the effect of drink making someone able to handle more pain could be used. Otherwise, it seems a little off. Maybe convert a certain amount of damage to subdual, depending on drunkenness?

MisterRaziel
2005-12-23, 10:34 PM
I keep having Unknown Armies flashbacks reading this.

Of course, the UA dipsomancers are way more cracked than this.

ilovefire
2005-12-23, 11:47 PM
yeah. where do you think I got the name from? and well... eh, it works the same as the Drunken Master class, just for arcane spellcasters. not very realistic, but if I wanted realism, i'd go outside.

Winged One
2006-01-18, 08:18 PM
*casts Animate Thread*

I like this class(and, in fact, would like to make one), but there's a few problems with version 3. For one thing, Brewer is more of a Craft skill than a Proffession skill. For another, Concentration seems like a better skill requirement than Spellcraft. Speaking of, Concentration isn't even a class skill for this class, but it's 10th level ability is the ability to take 10 on Concentration checks. I'm sure that was unintentional, of course.

ilovefire
2006-01-18, 08:44 PM
Well, the craft/profession arguement: profession seemed the more logical choice for me, and as for the concentration not being a class skills: whoops. let me fix that. ;>>

Winged One
2006-01-18, 09:07 PM
Well, Craft is making things(such as booze), while Profession covers other day jobs(like bartender). If I'm not mistaken, a brewer is one who brews beer, making it, in other words. Therefore a Craft skill.

GoldDragon
2006-01-18, 09:28 PM
Profession(Brewer) is listed as the acceptable skill in the PHB v3.5.

Winged One
2006-01-18, 10:24 PM
Is it? I would think that Craft(Brewing) makes much more sense than Profession(Brewer).

From the SRD:

While a Craft skill represents ability in creating or making an item, a Profession skill represents an aptitude in a vocation requiring a broader range of less specific knowledge.
Brewing is the making of beer, not a " vocation requireing a broader range of less specific knowledge". I could be wrong, of course, but I'd like to be proven wrong if this is the case instead of just being told so.

ilovefire
2006-01-18, 10:30 PM
Hmm... that is a good question... i'll ponder it.