PDA

View Full Version : Teleportation Shenanigans

DMfromTheAbyss
2009-06-29, 10:29 PM
I'm in the middle of a rules discussion about teleportation in a game I'm running on these very (PBP)forums.

(This is 3.5 D&D for reference before anyone mentions this can't come up in mutants and masterminds :smallwink:)

Now ultimately I'm the DM blah blah blah so what I say goes.. however I'm curious how everyone else would rule and why.

The question is basically if someone is being physically grappled, and someone dimension doors them, does the spell work on just the targeted person in the grapple, or both persons, or neither.

The RAW would support that it would work on just the (willing) person targeted reguardless of any impediments...

This has several problems for me though. For starters there is the can I carry a dead or unconscious "person" (by definition not willing) or held object, or by extension any held or worn equipment through. Obviously it should... but by RAW definition if it's just taking the "targeted touched person" and not anything attached or held (be it person or object) then it doesn't hold that things or persons attached or held would go too. Which means even attended objects don't go?
This leads to nudist teleportation fun... and doesn't make a lot of sense.

By my personal reading of RAI I think it takes (or attempts to) take the targets with all attached gear and persons within the limits of the spells capacity. I would additionally add that the targets would have to be free to move to go with a dimension door. (you know to step through the "door") Or perhaps if restrained by something, the caster would have the option of attempting to teleport the restraining object or person in addition or leaving both. (try to shove them through the door...) Though this is just my personal take on things...

What are the playgrounders opinions on the matter.
The lives of an adventuring party may rest in the balance. :smallbiggrin:

Meat Shield
2009-06-29, 10:55 PM
Well, DimDoor is pretty much the get outta grapple card for mages, so escaping from a grapple w/ it is just fine in my book. As for what goes with the target, all possessions of that character would go, as well as anything held.

You mention a body - well once a character dies, the body is now officially an object so willing or unwilling no longer matters. Might as well be a chair for all teh say it will have.

So I would say that the grapple-ee gets to bamf out, taking whatever he can carry. I think their is a weight limit to the spell, so I would use that to rule how much can go with.

TheThan
2009-06-29, 11:15 PM
If I was the Dm I would rule that willing person grappling you would DD with you.

Why? Three reasons:

Because it’s funny that way
Casters are powerful enough as it is
If you’re a caster that’s being grappled, you’re not doing a great job.

jcsw
2009-06-29, 11:20 PM
Technically, if the grappler were willing he would teleport too.