PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerers' Stones (Magic Item Idea)

Fixer
2006-01-18, 02:32 PM
I was debating about creating a magical item. Lacking a better name I have called them sorcerers' stones.

The basic premise is the same as a pearl of power. The cost would be twice that of a pearl of power. Its effect would be to add to the knowledge of an arcane spell to the person who wields it.

Needless to say, people who prepare spells won't get a lot of benefit out of these. Bards and Sorcerers would gain an additional spell known, but only while they are in possession of the stone.

I figure these will balance off the fact that sorcerers gain no benefit of pearls of power. They can only be created by someone who knows the spell in question (so sorcerers can only make them of spells they already know).

The creation of these items would also (socially) cause a social circle of sorcerers who share them with each other through the stones. Sorcerers are normally social (or, at least, high charisma) so to have them naturally come together for their mutual benefit would make sense.

SpiderBrigade
2006-01-18, 02:57 PM
Well, I'd say you need to put a limit on how many of these things a character can actually use at one time. IE make them take up a magic item slot (amulet would make sense) or be held in the hand. Otherwise you open the door to sorcerors getting their hands on tons of the stones and being waaaay too versatile ;-)

Healing_Hand
2006-01-18, 06:25 PM
Something like that already exists. Had been published in one of the Dragon Magazines last year, I think. They called them Knowstones.

Google says it was Dragon Magazine #333.

Seffbasilisk
2006-01-18, 06:45 PM
So it'd be like a ring of wizardry? ::)

Wizardry: This special ring comes in four kinds (ring of wizardry I, ring of wizardry II, ring of wizardry III, and ring of wizardry IV), all of them useful only to arcane spellcasters. The wearer’s arcane spells per day are doubled for one specific spell level. A ring of wizardry I doubles 1st-level spells, a ring of wizardry II doubles 2nd-level spells, a ring of wizardry III doubles 3rd-level spells, and a ring of wizardry IV doubles 4th-level spells. Bonus spells from high ability scores or school specialization are not doubled.

Moderate (wizardry I) or strong (wizardry II–IV) (no school); CL 11th (I), 14th (II), 17th (III), 20th (IV); Forge Ring, limited wish; Price 20,000 gp (I), 40,000 gp (II), 70,000 gp (III), 100,000 gp (IV).

Traveling_Angel
2006-01-18, 08:15 PM
no, it would be one extra spell know, instead of spells per day.

PinkysBrain
2006-01-18, 08:31 PM
Eberron explorer's handbook also has a comparable item.

Torger
2006-01-18, 08:40 PM
So it'd be like a ring of wizardry? ::)

More like a Ring of Sorcery, which grants you more spells known, rather than more castings.

Darkie
2006-01-18, 09:56 PM
http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/
Their magic items lists have the DR333 Knowstones listed on them.