PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying for newbies? (And perhaps a good idea)

abishur
2009-06-30, 12:11 AM
First of all, my apologies if this has been discussed already or in the wrong board, I tried to search around before posting but didn't find anything (maybe I used the wrong search phrase, who knows?).

Here's the lowdown. I'm a college grad working full time, blah blah blah, I've always been interested in RPGs but have so far only been able to indulge in the electronic versions. It's fun, but since I'm not a fan or MMORPS (sacrilege, I know) it's all single player stuff. So I'm trying to get involved in tabletop RPGing but 1) I don't know if there's a place around here I could go to get involved and 2) I know NOTHING about table top gaming other than what I've gleaned from comics like OotS, Goblins, or Weregeek.

So here's the thing, I'm interested in seeing how many people would be open to the idea of some kind of computer based RPGing?

To expound, by making use of software like teamspeak, groups would be able to converse with one another, and with a cheapo webcam it would be simple enough to any number of programs to display the desk where you roll your dice to make sure no one is... misrepresenting the value of their roll. Depending on who all was willing it could be fairly easy to start up a beginners game for newbies like me, while also being a good way for more experienced players to connect and get some gaming in too.

What do you think? Good idea/bad idea (please be brutally honest if this is a bad idea, as I've said I'm a complete newbie and have no idea if this is feasible)

Colmarr
2009-06-30, 12:17 AM
I'm not sure how many people you'd find interested in the specific setup you describe, but you'll definitely find people interested in using online tools to play roleplaying games.

Most of those tools include dice rollers that keep things "honest".

Tools to consider might be MapTools (and its associated applications), FantasyGround, and forum-based play-by-post (such as on this very forum).

My current group uses Maptools (only 2 of 5 live in the same city) and a voice over internet program and we're having a blast.

Doc Roc
2009-06-30, 12:18 AM
I use this (http://gametable.mornproductions.com/Index) pretty heavily, and really enjoy it. It's a little lightweight, but that's to my tastes, particularly since I have all sorts of distros and that ilk floating around. I use vent, OpenRpg, and gametable extensively in my spelljammer campaign.

RelentlessImp
2009-06-30, 12:22 AM
A combination of OpenRPG or similar programs, a voice-chat program such as Skype, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, etc. To be honest, there's three or four programs out there that already cover the "tabletop" aspect of it, but none to my knowledge integrate the more personal aspects (such as voice chat, video chat, etc).

You run in to the same problems that a tabletop group faces, only more pronounced. Scheduling conflicts are bad enough when you're in the same time zone - when you start mixing players in GMT -6 and GMT +0, they just get worse.

In short; it's a good idea in theory, but in practice it's proven to be difficult, but not impossible.

Here's a few links to help you, though:
OpenRPG (http://www.openrpg.com) - An online virtual tabletop that has some decent functionality. It can handle battle grids, dice rolls, tokens to represent characters/monsters, and so on. It's pretty good, in my opinion.

Uh, that's really the only one I can think of. I've heard of "iTabletop", which supposedly also integrates webcams, but don't have any real details. The addition of voice-chat communications via Skype or Ventrilo or Teamspeak and a good DM would enhance any of them, though.

Colmarr
2009-06-30, 12:37 AM
The addition of voice-chat communications via Skype

For what it's worth, the one time my group tried to use Skype for its voice chat, it cost me 200+ mb in download usage.

A typical session on Mumble or Ventrillo costs 26mb.

If you have an internet plan with a download limit, I recommend you steer clear of Skype*.

*Disclaimer: I'm far from an expert, so it's possible the problem was not Skype-related. I'm just letting you know.

abishur
2009-06-30, 12:53 AM
thanks for all the useful replies! (and please keep the coming!) I thought about the timing issue, but hey, we're all up right now and I live in America (Central Time -6:00 UTC) so I'm not worried about people being able to show up. Also, I'm not charged for bandwidth :smallbiggrin:

I tried OpenRPG it was... confusing. I'm guessing it helps to have people you are scheduled to meet up with and not to useful for just randomly meeting up with others and starting a game. In all honesty, I'm not really looking for anything too fancy, from what I've understood in traditional table top gaming there's not a whole lot of visual aids so much as narrative cues.

Also, I mentioned Teamspeak (TS) because I've always had very good experiences with it as well as it lets you adjust the quality of the signal and the encoding method to let you modify bandwidth usage

I guess what I'm really asking is, would people on this board, be interested in getting something like this started? You know, post a "Newbies session will be at this time" include the ip of the TS server and let whoever shows up show up. Or post a "intermediate" or "advanced" only time to meet up and let people PM for the password (oh yeah, TS also lets you permit users based on username and/or password).

If something like that was going on, how open would people be to such a set up? Would there be anyone willing to deal with stupid newbie questions :smallwink:?

But Not Tonight
2009-06-30, 01:08 AM
For what it's worth, the one time my group tried to use Skype for its voice chat, it cost me 200+ mb in download usage.

A typical session on Mumble or Ventrillo costs 26mb.

If you have an internet plan with a download limit, I recommend you steer clear of Skype*.

*Disclaimer: I'm far from an expert, so it's possible the problem was not Skype-related. I'm just letting you know.
Weeeeell, I know a WHOLE DAY, like a full 16 hours or so, of constant vent use barely topped 300megs, so... Yeah. Never had occasion to use Skype, so I can't compare usage there.

As for the system to use, well I have never played over the net like that. The most I have done is pbp games at Gaiaonline using their dice function... Which would be way too cumbersome for something like this.

I am also rather amateur at the RPing game (no pun intended, seriously) despite having DM'd on occasion over the last 7 or so years It would be nice to have a nice 'beginners' game as a player and not as bumbling self-centred DM. :smallsmile:

Doc Roc
2009-06-30, 01:21 AM
Gametable, the thing I linked, might be for you if you're chasing no-frills tech.

abishur
2009-06-30, 01:53 AM
Gametable, the thing I linked, might be for you if you're chasing no-frills tech.

just checked it out, it's nice, seems simple to use, it's Java based so it should work regardless of OS, it would be a nice base for someone more skilled than me who wanted to transcribe their world for all to see, or even as a base system for controlling dice rolls or something. But it would still require people who were in favor of such an idea as what I'm proposing. :smallbiggrin:

ColdSepp
2009-06-30, 02:35 AM
http://www.rptools.net/

RP tools is my online table of choice. Much easier then OpenRPG was (at least for me) and lots of autotools for a few system. 4E, 3.5, Savage Worlds, and nWoD (I think).

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-30, 02:42 PM
http://www.rptools.net/

RP tools is my online table of choice. Much easier then OpenRPG was (at least for me) and lots of autotools for a few system. 4E, 3.5, Savage Worlds, and nWoD (I think).

Seconded. I'm in a 4e game using maptools right now, and its going swimmingly. We use ventrilo for chat.

abishur
2009-06-30, 03:54 PM
All the online programs mentioned are amazing thanks guys! The only problem now is getting people to play with :smallwink:

But as I said, I'm brand spanking new. I tried to stop by a gaming shop in the area... it didn't go so well. At this point I'm kinda looking for someone willing to give the idea a trial run. You know, pick some time to teach some basics to a group of newbies (or even just let me listen in on a group of the experienced players). It seems like starting some groups with others who enjoy the OotS would be kinda fun... but then again I am pretty social for a dork :smalltongue:

dragoonsgone
2009-06-30, 06:17 PM
You can always try some of things like yahoo groups to find some people locally. Didn't work out so hot for me, I found people on local gaming stores forums for a game or 2 and I started my own game. ( I live in a semi rural area and not a large city so finding people is a bit tougher)

Remember you can always try and drag friends and family into a game and at least try it. You can run through the little 4E test drive with premade characters they give you and you can see if people like it. Thats what I did and everyone liked it so we started up a game. Only problem is you'll probably be "stuck" with being the DM.

Colmarr
2009-06-30, 06:33 PM
It's also a good idea to check local shcools (if you're young enough yourself), colleges and universities.

Tertiary educationial institutions have long been a haven for geeks and nerds like us, and they often have a formal gamers club or society.