PDA

View Full Version : Best/Most Useful Creatures to Summon

Brock Samson
2009-06-30, 03:30 AM
Hey all, as some of you may know I'm playing a 22nd level Druid/Wizard/Mystic Theurge/Arcane Heirophant. I've got 9th level spells of both arcane and divine.

Now, I know Summoning spells aren't always great spells to go with, but sometimes it's fun to add a buddy. Whether through Summer Monster X, or Summon Nature's Ally X, what are some of your favorite uses/why? Whether it be for sheer battle capacity, supernatural/spell-like abilities, whathaveyou.

Cyclocone
2009-06-30, 03:43 AM
Have a look at the Summoning Handbook. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=883099)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-30, 04:13 AM
Keep in mind, Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally have a 1 round casting time, so everyone else will get a turn while you're still casting it. It's best to cast them in a Time Stop, or not at all.

Storm Elementals in MM3 are nice, it's best to summon them via nature's ally. It gets some nice AoE attacks, deals nonlethal damage every round for free, hits fairly hard, and has a fast, perfect fly speed. Big animals with a lot of attacks and Improved Grab, such as Dire Tigers, are good to summon a few of and then use Animal Growth on to completely own an entire encounter. Unicorns are decent just to have around for their no-SR Magic Circle against Evil, plus they can use some Cure spells and Neutralize Poison when necessary.

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-30, 04:31 AM
Keep in mind, Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally have a 1 round casting time, so everyone else will get a turn while you're still casting it. It's best to cast them in a Time Stop, or not at all.

At this regard, there is a suggested houserule il UA allowing to make summoning 1 round casting instead than a full round. I allow it, assuming that players don't abuse.

Brock Samson
2009-06-30, 04:48 AM
Frankly a full-round casting is fine with me. If I throw down Arcane Spellsurge to start then I can still get an arcane spell of any level in on top of that. My character far outshines the rest of the group too, both in power and versatility, so I'm fine with using less impressive tactics for fun's sake.

Emy
2009-06-30, 05:00 AM
You may find some good ideas in Mastering the Malconvoker (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=918792), as well.