PDA

View Full Version : Grandia II Races, please give me a hand

Galileo
2009-06-30, 04:12 AM
I'm making a campaign set in the world of Grandia II, shortly after the end of the game. Because there aren't actually any races other than human and beastman (and Automata, sorta) I'm emphasising the differences between the different beastmen tribes. Anyone who's familiar with the game, advice on races, suggestions for plots, ideas on what class Roan is would be greatly appreciated.

These are my first drafts. I am a little wary of basing the entire tribe's racial traits on only a couple of examples of each, but there's nothing for it. Ah well.

Mau Tribe Beastman
Medium Humanoid
+2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength
Base land speed is 30 feet.
Scent
+2 racial bonus on Perform checks
Weakness to silvervine moss: Silvervine moss is a plant with a smell particularly pleasing to beastmen. If presented with large quantities of live silvervine moss, beastmen must make a Will save (DC 15) or lose the will to leave the area. They may make another Will save after 3-5 minutes, or if presented with a strong reason to leave, such as "Troglodytes are after us - MOVE IT MAREG!"
Favoured Class: Bard

Yamu Tribe Beastman
Medium Humanoid
+2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom
Scent
+2 racial bonus on Craft: Flavoured Paper checks.
+2 racial bonus on Knowledge checks.
Weakness to silvervine moss: Silvervine moss is a plant with a smell particularly pleasing to beastmen. If presented with large quantities of live silvervine moss, beastmen must make a Will save (DC 15) or lose the will to leave the area. They may make another Will save after 3-5 minutes, or if presented with a strong reason to leave, such as "Troglodytes are after us - MOVE IT MAREG!"
Favoured Class: Wizard

Nanan Tribe Beastman
Medium Humanoid
+2 Strength, +2 Wisdom
Scent
Favoured Class: Swordsage

erikun
2009-06-30, 04:22 AM
Dang, you must really want Mareg to move it. :smalltongue:

On a more serious note, I haven't played Grandia 2 in a long time - and honestly don't really remember the difference between Beastmen. Just a few points, though:

Craft: Flavoured Paper? Really? Will there really be that much demand for such a product? Wouldn't that fit more into the racial description, than trying to make it a class feature?

The Nanan don't seem to have any drawbacks, yet have two stat bonuses and the Scent ability. No, I don't consider racial catnip to be a real "drawback," either. Is this a mistype, or were you still undecided on what else the race should have?

Galileo
2009-06-30, 05:00 AM
Yeah, I was mostly undecided on what else to put there. I could drop the Strength bonus, cause Mareg could've just rolled an 18.
The Craft: Flavoured Paper wasn't all that serious, to be honest. I'd totally buy a ream of that stuff, though. Then give my friends some normal paper and tell 'em it's "Original."