PDA

View Full Version : Muddiness

Freelancer
2009-06-30, 05:56 AM
So, I was bored this summer and came across something I thought I'd never try again. MUD's. After playing a couple I think I got...maybe not addicted, but intrigued, at least longer that I did the couple of other times I tried them. So, I was just wondering if their was anybody that plays online text games in here, and if so, what one would you say tops all?

Optimystik
2009-06-30, 10:19 AM
I used to dabble in a Dragonlance MUD called Solace, but I'd be surprised if it was still around. Diablo 2 came out and... well... I'm only human :smalltongue:

Freelancer
2009-06-30, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I tried looking it up, but there's just two defunct sites for Solace and Solace II. Too bad, they looked interesting from the site. I guess a lot of muds are short lived. The one I'm currently looking at is a roman based one. I think I might like the concepts and seeing how they pull off execution more than anything else. I think I might be playing because I'm just suffering from sense of nostalgia. I dunno. Anyone else have any good MUDs, defunct or not?

Anteros
2009-06-30, 08:02 PM
I used to greatly enjoy playing Gemstone III, Legends of Terris, and Modus Operandi. However, I was much younger then, and now they don't seem to capture my interest the same way.

Linkavitch
2009-07-01, 09:23 AM
What does MUD stand for?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-01, 09:28 AM
MUD stands for Multi-user Dungeon. Think of them as the first MMORPGs, only everything is text-based, with no pretty graphics.
If I remember correctly, in the "Early days" of the business, MMORPGs were called "Graphical MUDs".

Optimystik
2009-07-01, 09:56 AM
If I remember correctly, in the "Early days" of the business, MMORPGs were called "Graphical MUDs".

Correct, the first ones included Sierra's The Realm and Microsoft's Asheron's Call. I think the term itself came about with Ultima Online.

Skorj
2009-07-01, 02:52 PM
Correct, the first ones included Sierra's The Realm and Microsoft's Asheron's Call. I think the term itself came about with Ultima Online.

AC came along pretty late, as I recal.

The early "graphical MUDs", before the term MMO was common, were:

Neverwinter Nights (1991!)
The Realm Online (1996)
Meridian 59 (1996)
Nexus (1996 - Korea)
Dark Sun Online (1996)

My guild was active in most of those. :smallsmile: By the time of the remaining "first generation" MMOs, the term MMORPG was largely replacing "MUD"

Ultima Online (1997)
Lineage (Korea - 1998)
Everquest (1999)
Asheron's Call (1999)

I believe Nexus had more players than all of the above put together, except Lineage, and Lineage was bigger than everything else put together until WoW. Many of the earliest MMOs are still active, and I hear someones making a new Dark Sun Online.

SinisterPenguin
2009-07-01, 05:15 PM
I've started playing the Discworld MUD recently. It's pretty fun, and the game world is huge. Seriously, Ankh-Morpork alone is gigantic compared to what you get in most games.

Other than that, I haven't really played any MUDs that I can recall.

Oregano
2009-07-01, 05:43 PM
Awww.... I thought was about Renegade Kid's new 3D platformer for the DS.:smallfrown:

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-01, 06:49 PM
I used to play Lusternia and Imperian, once upon a time. They're both still going very strong...

And 4 Dimensions for a while, I recall. Discworld MUD a bit, but that was complicated...

Yarram
2009-07-02, 12:36 AM
I play a really good MUD called SoI at middle-earth.us. It's really really good.

Thant
2009-07-08, 01:55 PM
I play a really good MUD called SoI at middle-earth.us. It's really really good.

hey that sound quite interesting how can I join? I know what MUDs are and all but I never played one (what do you need to play a MUD?), yet I very much would like to do so:smallfrown: and seeing that this own is a "Tolkinesque" creation, I must say I'm quite intrigued...help?:smallsmile:

Cubey
2009-07-08, 02:42 PM
I used to play MUDs by IRE - Achaea and Lusternia, specifically. They were quite fun, even if they had their issues (bad economy, oppressive guilds and low RP standards for the former, unbalanced PvP and railroading/godmodding/Mary Sueing admins for the latter). I'm waiting for Tears of Polaris by the same company, and have great expectations as it seems it won't repeat the errors of the former titles.

IRE games are very sophisticated, with actual player politics and generally many things you can do. They ARE pay-for-perks - in a way. Credits (currency used to buy artifacts or convert to lessons, which are used to improve your skills) are purchasable with real life money, but you can also buy them on the in-game market with in-game cash.