PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the biggest meanest weapon

Korivan
2009-06-30, 08:01 AM
For my character in the next campaign i've been mauling over lots of ideas. However, theres one in particular thats caught my eye. I want to use an Ogre barbarion that prestiges into war hulk. So im looking for weapons with reach, high damage, 2 handed, nice crit would be cool but not worried about it.
any suggestions?

arguskos
2009-06-30, 08:16 AM
Inb4 Spiked Chain.

Also, check out the Fullblade, from Arms and Equipment Guide. It's basically a bigger greatsword. :smallbiggrin: It doesn't have reach, but it does do massive amounts of damage, which is good if that's something you'd go for.

AslanCross
2009-06-30, 08:23 AM
The fullblade has the highest damage of any medium weapon as far as I know: 2d8. For an ogre it would be 3d8. However, it doesn't have reach. Get Strongarm Bracers and you'll be wielding the equivalent of a Gargantuan bastard sword. 4d8 base damage.

The glaive deals 1d10 damage at medium and has reach. A large glaive would deal 2d8.

If you want high-crit weapons, there's the Jovar (Planar Handbook). Similar to the greatsword, except Exotic with an 18-20 crit range. Then there's the Mercurial Greatsword (Arms and Equipment Guide, 3.0) that has a x4 multiplier.

Yuki Akuma
2009-06-30, 08:26 AM
2d8 damage is only 2 more damage than 2d6.

At Large size, it's 3 more damage, but still. That's not really much.

It doesn't really matter what weapon you use if you're a damage dealer. As an Ogre, your strength bonus and obligatory Power Attack will far outweight the extra 3 damage you get from a fullblade.

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-30, 08:36 AM
When you can afford it, money and feat-wise, you can increase the damage die of another d8 making your fullblade heavy (made of magical gold or platinum) from Magic of Faerun.

I guess you can reach 6d8 at a certain point. I hope can be useful.

Maybe I am wrong but:

Fullblade, 2d8.
For a large creature, 3d8.
Golden, 4d8.
Bracers, 6d8.

Question: monkey Grip Stacks at this point for 8d8?

Zeta Kai
2009-06-30, 08:37 AM
It doesn't really matter what weapon you use if you're a damage dealer. As an Ogre, your strength bonus and obligatory Power Attack will far outweight the extra 3 damage you get from a fullblade.

QFT.

Also, scythes are two-handed, with a ×4 critical. And at my table, I allow the big guys to swing 'em one-handed as reach weapons. Good times.

arguskos
2009-06-30, 08:41 AM
QFT.

Also, scythes are two-handed, with a ×4 critical. And at my table, I allow the big guys to swing 'em one-handed as reach weapons. Good times.
Cause scythe's needed to be better? :smalltongue:

Nah, that's a neat rule. I assume that a Large character can use a Large scythe as a one-handed reach weapon?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-30, 08:50 AM
Half-Ogre in Races of Destiny is much better suited for a PC than regular Ogre.

The Talenta Sharrash in ECS is an exotic reach weapon that you can trip with, its base damage isn't great (1d10 medium) but it has a 19-20/x4 crit. It was errated to 19-20/x2, but then the weapon was reprinted in another book as 19-20/x4, so it's sort of up to the DM. Frostburn has the Sugliin, an exotic reach weapon that takes another feat just to wield effectively, but it deals 2d8 medium for base damage. There's also the Longaxe in Complete Adventurer, it's basically a Greataxe but you can use it as a reach weapon if you want to when you Power Attack for at least -3 to hit. It's useful because each round you can pick whether or not it's a reach weapon, though it can't be both in the same round.

The greatest drawback of War Hulk is the No Time To Think class feature, which disqualifies you for any feat or prestige class that requires ranks in any of the skills it affects. If not for that, I'd say use a one-handed exotic weapon in both hands with a level of Exotic Weapon Master for Uncanny Blow, but it requires ranks in Craft. I understand that the designers wanted to give the class a mechanical drawback, but it really just makes any character who takes it even more one-sided than they otherwise would be. No Survival, no Spot or Listen, no Craft skills or Handle Animal, not even Sense Motive. There are much better prestige class choices that don't limit your character so drastically, even going Frenzied Berserker ends up with a more well rounded character, and it even has more damage potential due to its improvements to Power Attack. Just take some Warblade leading up to it and get Martial Study: Iron Heart Surge to shake off an unwanted Frenzy, or maybe take some Hexblade and then Occult Slayer before going into it to boost your Will save. Righteous Wrath from BoED is another option, though it requires a good alignment. Also consider using the Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) variant from UA, which grants an extra attack in addition to the one you get from Frenzied Berserker's Frenzy.

Korivan
2009-06-30, 09:33 AM
Im sure there is plenty of better builds. Im not trying for that. Usually I always play the leader, being a mage of some sort. This time, i'd like to scale back a bit and let someone else make thier mark with leading the party. Freeing me up to play a big, slobbering, stupid, lug that can tear trees out of the ground, charge in and make big huge swings clearing out the badies, walls, so on.

Also, how much damage would a giant sequia (not sure the spelling)tree do?

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-30, 09:35 AM
Im sure there is plenty of better builds. Im not trying for that. Usually I always play the leader, being a mage of some sort. This time, i'd like to scale back a bit and let someone else make thier mark with leading the party. Freeing me up to play a big, slobbering, stupid, lug that can tear trees out of the ground, charge in and make big huge swings clearing out the badies, walls, so on.

Also, how much damage would a giant sequia (not sure the spelling)tree do?

In some 3.0 book (MotW or SS) there should be some tree-weapon

Eldariel
2009-06-30, 09:53 AM
In some 3.0 book (MotW or SS) there should be some tree-weapon

Caber in MoTW. It's not very good however; it's a thrown weapon that you use to attack a 10' square area (AC 15) and forces Reflex save vs. your attack roll (alternatively, characters can move 5' back) from everyone in that square area for 2d6 damage. The biggest problem is that it doesn't really have a damage entry listed so strictly speaking size increases do nothing (and even the damage it does is Greatsword-damage).

Yeah, Fullblade has the largest damage output out of all the weapons. It's possible to wield a virtually Large Fullblade while medium, but anything bigger than that requires actual size increases (because virtual size increases such as Powerful Build and Strongarm Bracers don't stack). If it's a Heavy weapon (or Golden), it can be equivalent to a Huge Fullblade (although only Large in size) in damage.

Beyond that, you can cast Giant Size on yourself to become Colossal and wield a v. big Fullblade. But that's magic for you.

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-30, 09:56 AM
Otherwise, cheese up enough Str to eradicate trees and throw them. Then, apply falling damage.

kemmotar
2009-06-30, 10:04 AM
or just go for power attack-power lunge if you just wanna maximize damage...

Don't go full ubercharger route coz that's just silly...

Maybe large with strongarm bracers and a fullblade will be good enough, then just take barb (even if just one level for rage I guess, always helps), power attack, power lunge....may be leap attack for some blown up conan action and there you go...

you leap so you don't need reach, with power charge+leap+power attack+power lunge you won't need to crit...you have a very very big and bad weapon...add marrowcrushing or some other "eviilll" property to go very very badass...

BobVosh
2009-06-30, 10:10 AM
Greathorn Minotaurs Hammer: Large it does 3D6 and 19-20 x4 crit mod.
Greater mighty wallop it! At level 8 that is 6d6, 12 it is 8d6. And you break the chart at lvl 16. Too bad it won't let you do that :D

13_CBS
2009-06-30, 10:12 AM
Wasn't there some kind of weird melee weapon in Frostburn that was a bunch of moose antlers tied to a staff? It wasn't all that great and you needed a feat to be able to use it as a standard action, but flavorwise it was pretty darn cool.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-30, 10:30 AM
Wasn't there some kind of weird melee weapon in Frostburn that was a bunch of moose antlers tied to a staff? It wasn't all that great and you needed a feat to be able to use it as a standard action, but flavorwise it was pretty darn cool.

Sulgiin, but it's damage is inferior to the Longaxe from CAdv (rather sad, really). Takes 2 feats to wield it properly, when 2 feats for a Longaxe= 1d12 with a flexible 10ft reach.

Keld Denar
2009-06-30, 10:54 AM
Drow Scorpion Chain from Races of Ebberon would work. Its like a Spiked Chain, only 1d6 damage instead of 2d4, and its 19-20 crit instead of just 20. If you make it out of Kaorti Resin, it would be 1d6, 19-20 x4. At that point, your base damage means very little since with Keen you'll crit on a 17+ for 4x damage. All your PA and Str will all be multiplied very nicely and things will die.

This would be better than having a 3d6 weapon that crits on a 20 for 2x or 3x since your base weapon damage accounts for such a small percentage of your overall damage. Then again, the above weapon would require 2x EWP feats...

kemmotar
2009-06-30, 11:02 AM
is Kaorti Resin also in races of eberron?

13_CBS
2009-06-30, 11:05 AM
Sulgiin, but it's damage is inferior to the Longaxe from CAdv (rather sad, really). Takes 2 feats to wield it properly, when 2 feats for a Longaxe= 1d12 with a flexible 10ft reach.

Of course, but you're smacking people around with moose antlers tied to a stick. I'd grab it just for that alone. :smallbiggrin:

(And besides, didn't we agree that weapon dice damage doesn't count for much? :smallconfused:)

Keld Denar
2009-06-30, 11:09 AM
is Kaorti Resin also in races of eberron?

Nope, its mentioned in the Kaorti entry in FCII, IIRC, but the actual stats for it are in a wizards.com web enhancement. Someone linked it recently in a different thread. Its basically a kind of wax that a certain demon excretes that hardens and is used by that demon for "cuttin a foo".

arguskos
2009-06-30, 11:30 AM
Nope, its mentioned in the Kaorti entry in FCII, IIRC, but the actual stats for it are in a wizards.com web enhancement. Someone linked it recently in a different thread. Its basically a kind of wax that a certain demon excretes that hardens and is used by that demon for "cuttin a foo".
Note: Kaorti aren't demons, nor are they in either of the Fiendish Codicies. They can be found in the Fiend Folio, as can kaorti resin. Just sayin'.

Also, I'm surprised I was actually the first person to mention Spiked Chains. Really, they're pretty good for this sorta build. Reach, decent damage and crit, and all the benefits that Spiked Chains give.

Keld Denar
2009-06-30, 11:37 AM
Crap, my bad on the book there, it's been a while since I looked up Kaorti and even longer since I actually used one in a game.

And what crit are you talking about for Spiked Chains? Their biggest fault (other than absurdity) is the fact that their crits are only 20 / 2x. I suggested the scorpion chain because while the damage die drops from 2d4 to 1d6, the crit range goes up to 19/20, which IMO is WAY worth it.

arguskos
2009-06-30, 11:55 AM
I said decent, not good. Really, spiked chains are good enough. Just grab a oil of keen edge or some version thereof for the chain, and you're off to the races.

Besides, the chain is allowed pretty much everywhere. The drow scorpion chain isn't, due to being an Eberron specific.

Glyde
2009-06-30, 12:28 PM
The Minotaur Greathammer in Monster Manual... IV?

1d12 damage for medium. Not that great right?

19-20 / x4 for critical.

Doc Roc
2009-06-30, 01:02 PM

+1 Cookie for stating the absolute truth with absolute truthiness.
The spiked chain is a discipline weapon for shadow hand, as well, if I remember correctly, which is a singularly excellent point in its favor.

SilentNight
2009-06-30, 01:10 PM
When you can afford it, money and feat-wise, you can increase the damage die of another d8 making your fullblade heavy (made of magical gold or platinum) from Magic of Faerun.

Maybe I am wrong but:

Fullblade, 2d8.
Golden, 4d8.
Bracers, 6d8.

Regrettably not. As far as weapon I would suggest the War Cleaver from Dragon Magazine's Bas-lag issue. 2d8 damage for a medium creature, 10ft. reach and x3 multiplier.

ColdSepp
2009-06-30, 01:14 PM
Regrettably not. As far as weapon I would suggest the War Cleaver from Dragon Magazine's Bas-lag issue. 2d8 damage for a medium creature, 10ft. reach and x3 multiplier.

What issue was that?

Fixer
2009-06-30, 02:12 PM
In some 3.0 book (MotW or SS) there should be some tree-weaponI just had an amusing image of ogres swinging around treants as intelligent clubs. :D

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 02:16 PM
Maybe I am wrong but:
Fullblade, 2d8.
Golden, 4d8.
Bracers, 6d8.

A small problem with fullblade, is that I don't think it's ever been updated to 3.5. So if your DM goes by the description, he's going to say "Ogre's greatsword," thus it deals 3d6 19-20x2. Don't forget, it was written for 3.0 when weapon sizing was different.

Also, I don't believe monkeygrip and strongarm bracers stack. So: fullblade 2d8, sized Large wielder 3d8, heavy 4d8, bracers(5d8), some form of enlargement or expansion (6d8)

Eldariel
2009-06-30, 02:20 PM
Also, I don't believe monkeygrip and strongarm bracers stack. So: fullblade 2d8, sized Large wielder 3d8, heavy 4d8, bracers(5d8), some form of enlargement or expansion (6d8)

Size increases take IIRC 3 standard-sized increases followed by a double-sized increase, hence why 4d8 is followed by 6d8. That's why it's always worth trying to stack a huge amount of increases if you get started in that. That's where the 12d6 - 24d6 weapons come from.

Keld Denar
2009-06-30, 02:27 PM
Yea, the whole 3/2x then 2x then 3/2x then 2x progression starts getting really silly when you start swinging 64d6 weapons. Thats the whole premise of the King of Smack build. Natural weapons are the easiest to augement like this because there is so much support for them. A 1/2 giant PsyWar manifesting augemented Claws of the Beast with augemented Expansion with Improved Natural Attack (Claws) is swinging some meaty fists around. This is the only time when base weapon damage matters, since its obviously relevent again.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 03:43 PM
Size increases take IIRC 3 standard-sized increases followed by a double-sized increase, hence why 4d8 is followed by 6d8. That's why it's always worth trying to stack a huge amount of increases if you get started in that. That's where the 12d6 - 24d6 weapons come from.

Wow, never noticed that.
:nale:intriguing :nale:

AslanCross
2009-06-30, 04:29 PM
A small problem with fullblade, is that I don't think it's ever been updated to 3.5. So if your DM goes by the description, he's going to say "Ogre's greatsword," thus it deals 3d6 19-20x2. Don't forget, it was written for 3.0 when weapon sizing was different.

It actually deals the same damage as an ogre's bastard sword (1d10->2d8). I'm pretty sure that even in 3.0, Large monsters with greatswords dealt 3d6 damage. It could thus go either two ways: You take Monkey Grip and wield an ogre's bastard sword in two hands (you need EWP to hold a Large Bastard Sword in one hand) and take the penalty, or you take EWP for the Fullblade and have no penalties.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 05:15 PM
It actually deals the same damage as an ogre's bastard sword (1d10->2d8). I'm pretty sure that even in 3.0, Large monsters with greatswords dealt 3d6 damage. It could thus go either two ways: You take Monkey Grip and wield an ogre's bastard sword in two hands (you need EWP to hold a Large Bastard Sword in one hand) and take the penalty, or you take EWP for the Fullblade and have no penalties.

I'm just all sorts of messed up today... But learning things too.

Anyway, if 3rd party books are allowed, look up the Quintessential Fighters Handbook v3.5 by Mongoose publishing. (Maybe it's complete fighters handbook, I sorta forget) It's got a prestige class that would be perfect for you, however I personally think it's a bit broken in comparison to a normal D&D fighter.

Kol Korran
2009-06-30, 05:51 PM
if you're allowed to use Eberron books, than the Eberron Campaign setting has a real gem for you- the Talenta Sarash. (page 119 basically a big scythe on a long pole) it's 2-handed, 10 ft reach, deals only 1d10 (2d8 if you're large, more if you got the feats or equipment), but it shines in the crit department- 19-20, x4

as was mentioned before, your strength, power attack and magic enhancments will outweigh the basic damage output of the weapon, and these are especially importent in Criticals, which this weapons deliver in a fair ammount, and to a great damage output.

either get improved critical or have a keen weapon, and you'll be dealing oodles of damage every few rounds!

nice bonus- you can make trip attacks with it.

i think it's a real catch, though as before- you need a feat to use it. i had an orc using it, and one hit he caused 60 hp damage (at first level! rolled a 9, had 18 strength, +6 for being two handed). an ogre, with greater power, and bigger weapon could cause even more i'd believe...killer of a weapon.

Kol.

Brock Samson
2009-07-01, 01:43 AM
I second the Greater Mighty Wallop. Just grab a weapon which you like the look of most (or if you're looking for reach or whathave you). That one spell cast by your friendly neighborhood caster is hours/level and means you deal obscene amounts of damage as your levels increase.

Kaiyanwang
2009-07-01, 02:29 AM

IIRC, is described as "2-hands and an half" sword. I Updated it having prereq 13 in Strenght, like Bastard Sword (Katana).

And come on, it's cool. In our group was enought it to fix our Hexblade (that, and PHII ACF, and whirling blade).

Wings of Peace
2009-07-01, 03:22 AM
Kaorti Valenar Double Scimitar. Take those five levels of Reverent Blade and ten levels of Frenzied Berserker and never look back

Ravens_cry
2009-07-01, 03:32 AM
Kaorti Valenar Double Scimitar. Take those five levels of Reverent Blade and ten levels of Frenzied Berserker and never look back
Wow, that mental image just begs someone to come up and do an Indy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJOXLryzs8g)

Wings of Peace
2009-07-01, 03:50 AM
Wow, that mental image just begs someone to come up and do an Indy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJOXLryzs8g)

Ha ha. It's so true. If only the OP was using Gestalt rules. Then we could make something truly beautiful by throwing some monk 6/Shou Disciple 5/Exotic Weapon Master 1(Exotic flurry)/Weapon Master 7/Whatever else at which point He-Man himself would commit sepuku so that the character may take his place as Lord of Asskickery. :smallcool:

Coidzor
2009-07-01, 04:13 AM
Jovar: 2d6 medium greatsword w/ 18-20/x2 Crit if you want a good base damage to go with more reliable critting with keening scabbard. Kaorti or maybe Mercurial(even possible?) it for an increase in the times x.

Not as nasty as the Minotaur Warhammer or Sharesh, but something that could be on the table.

Hmm... Keened Heavy Mercurial Greatsword?

herrhauptmann
2009-07-01, 01:14 PM
Hmm... Keened Heavy Mercurial Greatsword?

Be nice if you could get a mercurial anything.
Jovar has a crit range one higher than greatsword, so a mercurial jovar OUGHT to be a 19-20 crit. Make it heavy for 3d6. Large+heavy for 4d6.

Which book is the Jovar? Frostburn at a guess, considering how the name sounds.

Keld Denar
2009-07-01, 01:24 PM
Jovar is in the Planar Handbook (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=D%26D+Jovar)