PDA

View Full Version : 4ed retraining multiclass feats

BobVosh
2009-06-30, 10:31 AM
If you have a couple of multiclass feats, can you retrain the first one and switch the whole tree? Do you have to retrain each one individually?

Example: Multiclass to cleric + encounter + daily power.
Switch the multiclass to rogue. Change the encounter + Daily.

Or is it retrain daily, retrain encounter, retrain multiclass, retrain back to encounter, and retrain back to daily. For a total of 5 levels.

Kurald Galain
2009-06-30, 10:50 AM
If you have a couple of multiclass feats, can you retrain the first one and switch the whole tree?
You retrain the first one, and then each of the power swap feats lets you pick a new power anyway, because they let you do that each level.

Ent
2009-06-30, 10:53 AM
As an aside, is there any reason not to take a multiclass before getting Skill Training as a feat?

Kurald Galain
2009-06-30, 11:02 AM
As an aside, is there any reason not to take a multiclass before getting Skill Training as a feat?

Not particularly, no.

mikeejimbo
2009-06-30, 11:11 AM
There is one reason.

The skill you want isn't granted by any of the multiclass feats.

That's very, very unlikely to occur though.

Mando Knight
2009-06-30, 11:38 AM
There is one reason.

Especially since several of the multiclass feats allow you to pick any skill off of the second class's skill list.

Totally Guy
2009-06-30, 11:39 AM
I am totally making a character called Jonny the Indecisive.

"What are you this session Johnny?"
"This week I'm a cleric!"
"So warlock no good anymore?"
"That infernal guy said I lacked focus."

Mando Knight
2009-06-30, 11:44 AM
I am totally making a character called Jonny the Indecisive.

"What are you this session Johnny?"
"This week I'm a cleric!"
"So warlock no good anymore?"
"That infernal guy said I lacked focus."

Only one way to do this: Be a Bard with at least a 13 in everything. :smalltongue:

"I'm a Bard/Paladin/Cleric/Wizard/Monk/Fighter/Ranger/Warlord/Shaman/Druid/Barbarian!"

Artanis
2009-06-30, 11:48 AM
There is one reason.

Or you want to multiclass "for real" into something else. That's also not terribly likely to happen though :smallfrown:

Totally Guy
2009-06-30, 12:27 PM
What if you're a Warlock that wants to train perception but doesn't have Dexterity or Strength high enough to get into Ranger or Rogue?

Of course the more classes you factor in the more pointless this gets. Using the PHB2 Bard multiclass nets you that and healing power once per day.

DSCrankshaw
2009-06-30, 02:09 PM
Only one way to do this: Be a Bard with at least a 13 in everything. :smalltongue:

"I'm a Bard/Paladin/Cleric/Wizard/Monk/Fighter/Ranger/Warlord/Shaman/Druid/Barbarian!"

And with Combat Virtuoso, you can be effective at every single one.

Hzurr
2009-06-30, 02:30 PM

I have one of these in my game. It's pretty entertaining, because everyso often, he'll have an enemy that he really, really wants to hurt, and he'll use his hunter's quarry, sneak attack, barbariand and fighter bonus damage on one enemy, and suddenly the guy who was doing moderate-at-best damage to enemies puts the strikers to shame. It's pretty fantastic.

He had to take a couple of feats like weapon expertise and implement expertise to make sure he had a viable chance of hitting things (since his stats are so spread out), but he's still a very effective party member. Doing the ultimate multi-class is much more feasible in 4E than it was in 3.5

tbarrie
2009-06-30, 04:43 PM
There is one reason.

It's technically impossible; every skill is granted by at least one multiclass feat. However, multiclass feats have stat requirements and Skill Training doesn't, so Skill Training might still be the only way to get the skill you want.

warrl
2009-06-30, 07:04 PM
I have one of these in my game. It's pretty entertaining, because everyso often, he'll have an enemy that he really, really wants to hurt, and he'll use his hunter's quarry, sneak attack, barbariand and fighter bonus damage on one enemy, and suddenly the guy who was doing moderate-at-best damage to enemies puts the strikers to shame. It's pretty fantastic.

Is his name Senor Vorpal Kickass'o (http://goblins.keenspot.com/d/20050903.html)?

-Cor-
2009-06-30, 07:17 PM
Is his name Senor Vorpal Kickass'o (http://goblins.keenspot.com/d/20050903.html)?

Fear my 1/11th of a sleep spell!

Anyway, yeah, I built a Bard Controleaderstrifender in char builder the other day. It was fun.

erikun
2009-06-30, 07:36 PM
Technically, you need to retrain the Novice/Acolute/Adept feats before the multiclass feat - you can't retrain a feat that's a requirement for another feat, even if the new feat would still meet the requirements. To quoteth the PHB, p. 28:

You can replace a feat with another feat. You must meet the prerequisites of the new feat. You can't replace a feat if it's a prerequisite for any other attribute you have (another feat or a paragon path, for example)...
Talk to your DM, though; I personally wouldn't see a problem with retraining one multiclass feat for another multiclass feat in this case.

BobVosh
2009-06-30, 11:28 PM
Talk to your DM, though; I personally wouldn't see a problem with retraining one multiclass feat for another multiclass feat in this case.

I just wanted to know RAW, basically. I did ask him, and he said "Whatever, sure, go for it." So I just switched all three feats at once.

TheDarkOne
2009-07-01, 12:54 AM

He had to take a couple of feats like weapon expertise and implement expertise to make sure he had a viable chance of hitting things (since his stats are so spread out), but he's still a very effective party member. Doing the ultimate multi-class is much more feasible in 4E than it was in 3.5

...except you're only allowed to take one of those feats by the rules?

Totally Guy
2009-07-01, 12:57 AM
Unless you're a bard.