PDA

View Full Version : Belkar Prediction *spoilers*

goodyarn
2009-06-30, 10:45 AM
I haven't seen this prediction, so here goes:

Belkar dies, is damned, keeps adventuring, saves the day.

Given that Roy has had a solo adventure in heaven which dealt directly with the larger story, I predict a complementary one in hell (or the abyss) for Belkar.

And given that Qarr and the 3 demons have big plans for V, which some have suggested also tie into the Xykon and the snarl plot, I submit that there is ample opportunity for Belkar to help or harm OOTS from beyond the grave.

Zanaril
2009-06-30, 10:49 AM
I think that the IFCC will offer him a job - or at least offer him some protection from more powerful inhabitants of the Abyss - in return for any information he knows about the gate. After all, they have been keeping an eye out for members of the Order.

Threeshades
2009-06-30, 10:52 AM
I think that the IFCC will offer him a job - or at least offer him some protection from more powerful inhabitants of the Abyss - in return for any information he knows about the gate. After all, they have been keeping an eye out for members of the Order.

Considering the place Belkar goes after death is anything but lawful, they will probably just beat anything out of him that they deem useful.

Raenir Salazar
2009-06-30, 11:17 AM
you may wanna rewrite the title to be less explicit.

Zanaril
2009-06-30, 11:54 AM
Considering the place Belkar goes after death is anything but lawful, they will probably just beat anything out of him that they deem useful.

Yea, good point.

Random832
2009-06-30, 12:03 PM
you may wanna rewrite the title to be less explicit.

The word is used in the comic - and isn't there a word filter (which does not exclude the word in the topic that is written plainly with no obfuscation) anyway?

Puppeteer
2009-06-30, 12:08 PM
Belkar dies (maybe killed by O-Chul or Vaarsuvius) and is raised by Tsukiko as an undead (no breath). Remember the point where she was wondering outside the crumbled castle and found the body of Miko cut in half? She said something along these lines: "It would probably be a bad idea. It wouldn't be that powerful anyway".

Belkar on the other hand would be different, and it would tie up the resentment she must feel for having Mr.Scruffy being thrown at her soft unprotected face.

Serebii
2009-06-30, 12:19 PM

Yeah, right! If they try to beat Belkar, They'll get a spleen-full of halfling daggers! Mwa!:smallannoyed:

Prowl
2009-06-30, 12:22 PM
I'll play the longshot and say Belkar is redeemed with his dying act.

David Argall
2009-06-30, 12:56 PM
We should be using spoilers on this thread, per the request of the writer.

Belkar dies (maybe killed by O-Chul or Vaarsuvius) and is raised by Tsukiko as an undead (no breath).
Please try to remember there are a half-dozen predictions that Belkar snuffs it. His becoming an undead doesn't satisfy above half of them, in particular that Belkar is not long for this world.

I haven't seen this prediction,
You can usually assume somebody else has posted the idea, and this is the case here. I have suggested this sort of idea, and I am unlikely to be the only one.

Given that Roy has had a solo adventure in heaven which dealt directly with the larger story, I predict a complementary one in hell (or the abyss) for Belkar.

And given that Qarr and the 3 demons have big plans for V, which some have suggested also tie into the Xykon plot, I submit that there is ample opportunity for Belkar to help or harm OOTS from beyond the grave.
Right, Belkar dies and goes to a bad place. Somehow he gets in contact with our fiends about the time they take over V and now Belkar and V manage to wreck the fiendish plan to take over the gate, probably ruining the gate in the process.
It's an idea on the table that doesn't clash with anything we know, but there is a strong, indeed probably well past majority, chance the plot will go in a different direction.

zyphyr
2009-06-30, 01:13 PM
The word is used in the comic - and isn't there a word filter (which does not exclude the word in the topic that is written plainly with no obfuscation) anyway?

The 'less explicit' request isn't (at least it probably isn't) an issue with a specific word. It is because of the fact that Rich doesn't want to see your speculation. He wants it hidden away in clearly labeled spoiler tags so that people who want to see it can, but he won't.

Random832
2009-06-30, 01:16 PM
Please try to remember there are a half-dozen predictions that Belkar snuffs it. His becoming an undead doesn't satisfy above half of them, in particular that Belkar is not long for this world.

So, what we know is:
He will not be served birthday cake anymore (unless we dismiss "should savor his next birthday cake" as merely meaning that it will be a very good cake) (tied to no more than two years from their first visit to the oracle)
He will not have any need for money (or maybe "shouldn't bother funding his IRA" means there will be a stock market crash) (tied to Belkar's reaching would-be retirement age)
He will not breathe anymore (tied to the end of the year)
He is "not long for this world" (tied to - well, "not long", w/e that means)

The 'less explicit' request isn't (at least it probably isn't) an issue with a specific word. It is because of the fact that Rich doesn't want to see your speculation. He wants it hidden away in clearly labeled spoiler tags so that people who want to see it can, but he won't.

Ah, I didn't get that. Yeah probably a good idea to edit the title.

/not the OP

warrl
2009-06-30, 01:27 PM
The oracle's prediction was that Belkar would draw his final breath within a year.

There is a large assortment of ways that Belkar could remain in the world but not breathing.

Here's a sampling:
look behind Haley (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html)
in the blue robe (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html)
in front of the box (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0658.html)
anybody in the first row of panels (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0637.html)
in the ring (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0548.html)
in the tank (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0541.html)

goodyarn
2009-06-30, 01:29 PM

Thanks, I didn't know that. I have changed the title.

Random832
2009-06-30, 01:43 PM
Here's a sampling:
in front of the box (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0658.html)
anybody in the first row of panels (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0637.html)

That's actually interesting because if he becomes an Outsider or Extraplanar, that could be one interpretation of "not long for this world" without him having to never actually return to the material plane.

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-30, 01:48 PM
look behind Haley
in front of the box
anybody in the first row of panels
in the tank
Plants, roaches, outsiders, and sharks all breathe. Maybe not in the same conventional way as you or I, but they all require respiration.

Random832
2009-06-30, 01:57 PM
Plants, roaches, outsiders, and sharks all breathe. Maybe not in the same conventional way as you or I, but they all require respiration.
Except possibly outsiders, they don't "draw breath" - this implies more than just a need for oxygen, it implies a breathing process that works in a particular mechanical way.

hamishspence
2009-06-30, 02:01 PM
MM: Outsider type "Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep"

and do rules comments need to be in spoilers?

EDIT: Probably not.

fangthane
2009-06-30, 02:08 PM
I don't think rules necessarily need to be in spoiler tags; I mean it's not like the concept of an outsider-reincarnation is something we've never discussed and I'm sure Rich has thought of it. The whole "breathing" thing would seem to put a kibosh on that notion anyhow, no?

I'd say if he's going to continue existing in any meaningful way he's got to be converted to undead, or get a special dispensation from the IFCC to haunt the Order or possess V.

I was going to quote the SRD regarding outsiders breathing, but my spidey sense tells me that's no longer necessary. ;)

Edit - And then Hamish has to go and unspoiler things so my spidey sense comment looks foolish :smallbiggrin:

73 Bits of Lint
2009-06-30, 02:12 PM
I'll play the longshot and say Belkar is redeemed with his dying act.
This would just be terrible. Belkar probably will die, but if he dies in an act of heroic redemption, yet still isn't rezzed by his increasingly self-righteous and annoying team mates ... Well that would be a new low for them.

Morgan Wick
2009-07-02, 09:06 PM
This would just be terrible. Belkar probably will die, but if he dies in an act of heroic redemption, yet still isn't rezzed by his increasingly self-righteous and annoying team mates ... Well that would be a new low for them.

Unless his dying act gets him unmade by the Snarl.

SadisticFishing
2009-07-02, 09:51 PM
You know, putting "Spoiler" in the subject line makes far more sense than spoiler tagging EVERYTHING. Annoying habit.

Prowl
2009-07-05, 12:03 PM
An "open all spoilers" button would solve the problem easy.

woodenbandman
2009-07-05, 12:22 PM
I'm going to take some long odds on this one: I'm betting that Vaarsuvius's soul will be lent to Xykon and/or his minions and used to kill Belkar.

Also betting that Belkar will go to Chaotic Good heaven in the end, and that mister scruffy will be reunited with Shojo. And they lived happily ever after.

:mitd: "Even me?"
:elan: "Yes, even you."

hamishspence
2009-07-05, 12:29 PM

Well, the Giant did say, roughly, "Belkar is a protagonist of the OOTS- even if he dies, there will be strips dealing with his afterlife" in Paladin Blues commentaries.

So, not that far-fetched.