PDA

View Full Version : do dead PCs level up?

dehro
2009-06-30, 02:01 PM
this might be stupid of me..and I have had a look but not found anything similar..
I was thinking about Roy's training beyond the pearly gates... then comes the last panel and it turns out I was not alone in thinking it..

but how does that work in d&d? can someone train moves/skills/abilities while dead?...:smallconfused::smallconfused::smallconfus ed: I'd say no..but still

is that a deviation from the manual on the part of the Giant, or is he still within the rules?

sort of withing argument...we know belkar will die soon... what I can't remember (as much as I like OoTS I refuse to read through it all over again to find out)...is... is it final? or is it just like roy, that he'll die and someone could raise him?

Optimystik
2009-06-30, 02:03 PM
Roy hasn't actually trained; he remembers the technique he was shown but couldn't spend a feat on it until he was alive again.

To answer your question, the DM can grant exp to dead characters if he likes, but typically dead characters don't gain exp.

Krrth
2009-06-30, 02:05 PM
Roy hasn't actually trained; he remembers the technique he was shown but couldn't spend a feat on it until he was alive again.

To answer your question, the DM can grant exp to dead characters if he likes, but typically dead characters don't gain exp.

Actually, if I remember right, there's a little line that states a PC that dies and gets resurrected loses his level...but then gets XP from the encounter he died in (assuming he won) as if he had been his new level. So it's possible to come out of a tough fight in which you died the same level you went in as.

hamishspence
well, there is the Ghostwalk setting, where heroes can adventure, as ghosts (have the outsider type, like petitioners) while dead.

And when ressurrected, they can trade in levels of ghost classes (the eidolon and eidolancer ghost-only classes) for character levels.

While I doubt the Giant is actually using this, it is an example of "gaining levels while dead"

Hacktor
Technically "the book" tells us to be creative when selecting the reasons for taking a certain feat or a new skill...

You can't get much more creative than "My dead grandfather taught it to me while dead."

For me that's a superb example. And I praise the giant for it.

alegollama
2009-06-30, 02:19 PM
Also, I believe the books state that the final decision is always up to the DM. So, if The Giant wants Roy to gain Xp, skills, or feats, he does.

dehro
2009-06-30, 02:30 PM
Also, I believe the books state that the final decision is always up to the DM. So, if The Giant wants Roy to gain Xp, skills, or feats, he does.

that's a given... I just wondered if it was a fairly recognized practice...good answers though

what about the belkar bit?

Optimystik
2009-06-30, 02:36 PM
Actually, if I remember right, there's a little line that states a PC that dies and gets resurrected loses his level...but then gets XP from the encounter he died in (assuming he won) as if he had been his new level. So it's possible to come out of a tough fight in which you died the same level you went in as.

That wouldn't count as "training while dead" though, since you're being rewarded for actions you took while you were still alive.

what about the belkar bit?

The wording of the prophecy ("His last breath - ever") seems to preclude being raised. Of course, there are plenty of ways for him to come back without breathing in D&D, but the simplest interpretation is that he stays dead for some reason.

Krrth
2009-06-30, 02:38 PM
That wouldn't count as "training while dead" though, since you're being rewarded for actions you took while you were still alive.

The wording of the prophecy ("His last breath - ever") seems to preclude being raised. Of course, there are plenty of ways for him to come back without breathing in D&D, but the simplest interpretation is that he stays dead for some reason.

True, but.....since you technically gain a level, you can re-choose the feats you just lost.

Bibliomancer
2009-06-30, 02:42 PM
Under the normal rules, I don't think that this is the case (although it is never stated clearly). The Upper Planes are implied to be a place of peace where you don't do much, and in the Lower Planes petitioners are stripped of their spiritual energy and converted into low level fiends. Also, in the upper planes it is implied that all but the most powerful souls gradually merge with the plane, and the best heroes go to rest on the Isles of the Blessed in Elysium.

If this wasn't the case, imagine how scary the "true resurrection" spell would be:

Nameless Cleric: I'm going to resurrect a harmless but wise king from 150 years ago to advise me. *Casts spell*

King: Thanks cleric. Now get out of my way. This 43rd level adventurer has a world that needs saving.

Milskidasith
2009-06-30, 02:56 PM
To rez a 150 year dead king, wouldn't the cleric need to be 150th level?

But yeah, I don't see Roy gaining any EXP while dead; I can see him gaining some EXP (after death) for the war; Xykon did lose in the end, though not from Roy's actions, and maybe a bit of EXP from the evil adventuring party (probably not much, they seemed low level), but as for some theories that he actually gained levels, I doubt it.

hamishspence
2009-06-30, 03:05 PM
10 years per CL, not 1- a 17th level cleric (minimum to cast the spell) could easily do it. (170 years)