PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew:Primal Spy

waterpenguin43
2009-06-30, 02:20 PM
Primal Spy
Requirements:-Must be able to wild shape
-Must have Spell focus:divination or Spell focus:Transmutation as feats
-Sneak attack +1d6

Occasionally, a druidic nomad lives on the outside of the city, learning the ways of a rogue, people seeking spies take these rare characters and hire them with the promise of supporting nature. They are then trained to mix there rogue and druid abilities to become master spies, they gain animal traits useful for spies, they learn to wild shape into the puniest of creatures, and they gain the ability to use some of the most useful infiltrator spells as freely as they wish. These remarkable spies can do amazing, supernatural things, from attacking with a cat’s agility, turning into puny insects and creep around as they wish, and see through the eyes of others.

Here's the table code; quote this post and copy it.

{table=head]Level|Base attack bonus|Fort|Will|Ref|Spells per day|Special
Lvl 1:|+0|+0|+2|+2|+1 divine|Chain of eyes
Lvl 2:|+1|+0|+3|+3|-|Wild shape(Tiny,Vermin)
Lvl 3:|+1|+1|+3|+3|+1 divine|-
Lvl 4:|+2|+1|+4|+4|+1 divine|Spy aptitude(Cat)
Lvl 5:|+2|+1|+4|+4|+1 divine|Wild shape(Diminutive)
Lvl 6:|+3|+2|+5|+5|-|Spy aptitude(Hawk)
Lvl 7:|+3|+2|+5|+5|+1 divine|Wild shape(fine),Legend lore
Lvl 8:|+4|+2|+6|+6|+1 divine|Spy aptitude(Fish)
Lvl 9:|+4|+3|+6|+6|-|-
Lvl 10:|+5|+3|+7|+7|+1 divine|Word of recall[/table]

Skills:8 + int modifier(Class skills:Balance,Bluff,Climb,Concentration,Craft,Dec ipher script,Diplomacy,Disable device,Disguise,Escape artist,Gather information,Handle animal,Hide,Jump, Knowledge(nature),Listen,Move silently,Open lock,Profession,Search,Sense Motive,Spellcraft,Spot,Swim,Survival,Tumble,Use Magic Device)

Chain of eyes(Sp):At first level, a Primal spy can cast Chain of eyes as the spell, at will.
Spy aptitude(Ex):As the Primal spy advances, he magically adapts certain animal traits to himself for stealth. Cat: The primal gains the agility of a cat.
The Primal spy gains a +2 dexterity bonus and Weapon finesse.
Hawk:The Primal spy can grow wings and fly at poor maneuverability and 60 ft fly speed. He also gains a +8 bonus on Spot checks. This is a swift action
Fish:The Primal spy grows gills as well as lungs, and thus is capable of breathing both water and air. He also receives webbing in between his fingers, giving a +8 bonus on swim checks. This is a swift action.

Wild shape(Su): See druid.

Legend lore(Sp): As the spell, at will.

Word of recall(Sp): As the spell, at will. The Primal spy must designate which location he teleports too when he receives the ability. It takes one week to change locations.

DracoDei
2009-06-30, 03:30 PM
Very good class concept. I approve whole-heartedly with the play style, but the justification could, perhaps be a bit better. I suggest you look up how to create a table for a PrC in the Stickied guide to homebrewing.

I also suggest not advancing Spellcasting at first level, since that tends to make such classes too dip-worthy (especially since you are also advancing Wild-Shape). This is slightly counterbalanced by the fact that you have to dual class to get into the class in the first place.

What is the action to vanish/grow the wings? Standard I assume?

Can the gills be removed? If not, then it is probably a liability to a spy trying to stay incogneto... speaking of which, you probably want to give them Mask of a Thousand Faces at some point in the progression...

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-30, 09:34 PM
Here's the table code; quote this post and copy it.

{table=head]Level|Base attack bonus|Fort|Will|Ref|Spells per day|Special
Lvl 1:|+0|+0|+2|+2|+1 divine|Chain of eyes
Lvl 2:|+1|+0|+3|+3|-|Wild shape(Tiny,Vermin)
Lvl 3:|+2|+1|+3|+3|+1 divine|-
Lvl 4:|+3|+1|+4|+4|+1 divine|Spy aptitude(Cat)
Lvl 5:|+4|+1|+4|+4|+1 divine|Wild shape(Diminutive)
Lvl 6:|+5/+1|+2|+5|+5|-|Spy aptitude(Hawk)
Lvl 7:|+5/+1|+2|+5|+5|+1 divine|Wild shape(fine),Legend lore
Lvl 8:|+6/+2|+3|+6|+6|+1 divine|Spy aptitude(Fish)
Lvl 9:|+7/+3|+3|+6|+6|-|-
Lvl 10:|+7/+3|+3|+7|+7|+1 divine|Word of recall[/table]

waterpenguin43
2009-07-01, 11:46 AM
Thanks, I own a Mac and had a hell of a time getting it made( and I didn't do too well either).

waterpenguin43
2009-07-01, 11:50 AM
Very good class concept. I approve whole-heartedly with the play style, but the justification could, perhaps be a bit better. I suggest you look up how to create a table for a PrC in the Stickied guide to homebrewing.

I also suggest not advancing Spellcasting at first level, since that tends to make such classes too dip-worthy (especially since you are also advancing Wild-Shape). This is slightly counterbalanced by the fact that you have to dual class to get into the class in the first place.

What is the action to vanish/grow the wings? Standard I assume?

Can the gills be removed? If not, then it is probably a liability to a spy trying to stay incogneto... speaking of which, you probably want to give them Mask of a Thousand Faces at some point in the progression...
The cat change is innate, but it's a swift action adding or removing the gills/wings. Your right about the justification though. But this class is a Bad class for combat and I intended it to be a rare sort of combo. Basically in a dungeon it's a druid/rogue who became a lot better OUTSIDE of combat and a bit worse inside.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-05, 11:33 PM
The Base Attack Bonuses and Saving Throws are slightly messed up. Recheck them.

Otherwise, nice class :smallsmile:

waterpenguin43
2009-07-07, 09:40 PM
The Base Attack Bonuses and Saving Throws are slightly messed up. Recheck them.

Otherwise, nice class :smallsmile:

It's actually on purpose because I thought they should have a zany and different attack bonus (no, I mean it).
Edit: But in retrospect, that was a dumb idea. I made it the Mystic Theurge attack bonus.

Brom
2009-07-07, 09:56 PM
Am I the only one who thinks class balance is off?

- Full Rogue skill point progression
- Some druid casting on top of skills
- At will, as much as you want use of high level spells at the end
- Unique and good abilities on top of that.

All of this seems like it's much better than just playing a Druid or a Rogue.

waterpenguin43
2009-07-12, 06:01 PM
Am I the only one who thinks class balance is off?

- Full Rogue skill point progression
- Some druid casting on top of skills
- At will, as much as you want use of high level spells at the end
- Unique and good abilities on top of that.

All of this seems like it's much better than just playing a Druid or a Rogue.

Well, it IS a prestige class, and if you think it's off balance, take a look at warlocks:
-Unique combat spells at WILL!!(well, invocations)
-More HD then sorcerers and wizards.
-Can use arcane AND divine magic items.
Anyway, I designed my class with the idea it sucked in combat in mind: -No sneak attack progression. -Wild shape into smaller things only. -Spells at wil rather useless in combat. The only combat things they are good at are divine spells and running away. -Low attack bonus.