PDA

View Full Version : Righteous Speech?

TMC
2009-06-30, 02:37 PM
Think that the Dashing Swordsman's requirement would let you count making a righteous speech to your opponent as fuffilling it's substitution prerequesite?

Hacktor
2009-06-30, 02:41 PM
... not quite. You would just make it easier to break.

Are you asking this because you would like to use it in a real game or what?

Bibliomancer
2009-06-30, 02:45 PM
It would fit thematically. All that the class seems to require is that you use your Charisma as a part of your attack. Thus, a righteous speech might qualify, though personally I would say that it wouldn't add damage, since a righteous speech isn't going to make a villain wince in pain. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0393.html)

Optimystik
2009-06-30, 03:07 PM
It would fit thematically. All that the class seems to require is that you use your Charisma as a part of your attack. Thus, a righteous speech might qualify, though personally I would say that it wouldn't add damage, since a righteous speech isn't going to make a villain wince in pain. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0393.html)

But he might die of boredom (Will negates.) :smallwink:

JoseB
2009-07-01, 04:22 AM
Now, this would be interesting... After all, we can agree that Iņigo Montoya (from "The Princess Bride") and, to a certain extent, Wesley, look very much like archetypes of "Dashing Swordsman".

Wesley definitely gives a righteous speech towards Prince Humperdinck before rising from the bed where he lies and confronting him (even though Wesley is practically crippled at the moment, what with having been brought back from "mostly dead" only a short time before). That is the "To the pain!" speech. And it appears to work, either by giving Wesley the willpower to stand up while almost paralyzed, or by making Humperdinck cringe.

As to Iņigo Montoya, does "Hallo, my name is Iņigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die" really count as a "quip"? Iņigo is wounded by Rugen, but he manages to shout this phrase again and again, and it seems to give him purpose and willpower that allows him to fight on until finally overcoming, defeating and killing Rugen (with the wonderful "Offer me anything...", followed by "I want my father back, you son of a bitch!" used for the killing blow).

Hmmm... The second example looks more of a "catchphrase" to me...

But Wesley definitely gives a righteous speech directed at Humperdinck!

I would have to think about this...