PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party 3.5 PHB

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 03:17 PM
I remember seeing a link a few weeks ago to a 3rd party published 3.5 players handbook. Paperback instead of hardback, and only contains the PHB material included in the SRD. (Which means no copywritten pictures of Regdar, Jozen, Lidda etc)

Does this product exist? If so, who prints(printed) it?

And if it doesn't exist, how did I imagine this thing up? It was late at night after a very large and extended meal.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-30, 03:30 PM
I remember seeing a link a few weeks ago to a 3rd party published 3.5 players handbook. Paperback instead of hardback, and only contains the PHB material included in the SRD. (Which means no copywritten pictures of Regdar, Jozen, Lidda etc)

Does this product exist? If so, who prints(printed) it?

And if it doesn't exist, how did I imagine this thing up? It was late at night after a very large and extended meal.

You may be thinking of Frank and K's Tomes, which are effectively a freeware PHB. I'm not sure if it was published.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 04:41 PM
Frank and K's Tomes? Who're they?

This was a thing for sale, not a pdf. Unless I've got a kindle, pdf's arent exactly portable for me.
I'm still searching, but I haven't found it on the first 12 pages of Amazon or ebay yet.

dragoonsgone
2009-06-30, 05:12 PM
Are you thinking of pathfinder?

http://paizo.com/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 05:19 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Pocket-Players-Handbook/dp/1904577660/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246393923&sr=1-43

Found it, by Mongoose.
Nah, I don't think I've heard of pathfinder before. Is it any good?

Eldariel
2009-06-30, 05:28 PM

Pathfinder doesn't address any of the problems it claims to address, but the class designs of Pathfinder are still superior to those of Core 3.5, mostly because there are no more dead levels. Polymorphing was also fixed.

Mostly, it's an attempt at fixing 3.5 without really knowing what was broken. They got some right and screwed some up (they made Power Attack unusable). But yeah, there are good things about it too.

Waspinator
2009-06-30, 05:35 PM
I was going to link to the Mongoose one, but it seems I was beaten. There is also a Mongoose Game Master's Guide, which is the DMG parts of the SRD (terrain rules, magic items, epic and prestige classes, that kind of thing). They're both pretty good little books if you can find them cheaply. I'd suggest looking around on Amazon, eBay, and Google. I wouldn't pay more for them than I would pay for the "real" PHB and DMG, though, since they are stripped down versions of the content. Still, they're pretty nice as a second copy of those books to have around the table. It's too bad that I don't think they ever made a Monster Manual, but that's not as needed.

Pathfinder is Paizo's somewhat controversial version of 3.5 they're working on. It's in beta now but the final version comes out in a few months. Regardless of whether the changes are good ones, it is modified from standard 3.5 (unlike those pocket books) and therefore isn't as useful for a pure 3.5 campaign.

shadzar
2009-06-30, 05:38 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Pocket-Players-Handbook/dp/1904577660/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246393923&sr=1-43

Found it, by Mongoose.

They call it 3.75

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 05:41 PM
They call it 3.75

Funny, that's how I usually think of ToB with it's variety of per encounter powers and abilities. :)

Also, mongoose doesn't seem to have that handbook for sale on their site any longer. At least not that I've seen.

Waspinator
2009-06-30, 05:46 PM
The Mongoose pocket handbooks I believe are out of print. You still should be able to find copies, though. I just checked and there are some on eBay.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 06:05 PM
But they did have the quintessential cleric and fighter for sale, which should also be out of print.

Renegade Paladin
2009-06-30, 07:24 PM
Not necessarily. They may be out of print, but Mongoose still has stock they're trying to sell.

Anyway, do you have a local gaming store? Check there; I find that my closest one usually has stuff in stock long after you have a hard time finding it online.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 07:40 PM
I do, but the guy running it is a douche.
I've asked him for the BoED in the last year, and his response: "You might as well just order it off ebay and hope you don't get screwed on ordering."

I don't go into that store to browse. Only to buy something specific that I know they should have in stock. If not, I'll go to Barnes& Noble and deal with an small overall price increase

Waspinator
2009-06-30, 08:22 PM
Not necessarily. They may be out of print, but Mongoose still has stock they're trying to sell.
That would be my guess, too. They may have in their online store some books that they are no longer printing, but they simply have not sold all of the copies yet. It's going to vary book-by-book which of those they'll have, of course, because it depends on what is taking longer to sell.