PDA

View Full Version : A New Half-Orc

TheThan
2006-01-14, 06:22 PM
Well since I have received nothing but praise with all of my variant base races. I thought I would get to work on another one (not to mention I thought all this stuff up in the shower this morning!). so now I present to you my variant half orcs. As always any questions comments, advise, praise, or rebukes you have will be appreciated. If you havent seen them feel free to check out:
The Phantom Elves (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1136933364 )

Attack of the Gnomes (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1131439784 )

Revenge of the Dwarves (http://www.giantitp.com/cgibin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1132009423 ;start=)

Now lets get to it.

A new Half-Orc

Orcs
Long ago a cabal of insane wizards sought to improve upon many of the existing races. While most of their experiments ended in macabre failures. They did have a few amazing successes. One of which is the creation of the Half-Orcs.
These wizards magically crossed humans and orcs to create half-orcs. These beings came out with phenomenal strength, but lacked in mental capacity. The wizards saw them as being excellent slave material. The cabal soon pressed their creations into service in building towers, dungeons and other such structures.
One particular half orc showed to be significantly more intelligent than the others. One of the wizards found him and took him as a “pet” and began teaching him, eventually this half orc learned how to read and dived into old stories about powerful magicians and honorable heroes. Eventually this orc came to realize the truth of his enslavement and lead a revolt against their masters. They succeeded in overthrowing their oppressors and made their escape into the wilderness. The leader of the rebellion took with him some of the old books in his former master’s library.
Using the knowledge they gleaned from the texts they were able to form their own civilization.
Personality
Many half-orcs come across as dull and sullen. This is partly to do with their past as slaves. But also because their lower intelligence makes them feel out of place among others not of their kind.
But many more come off as loud and unruly. Which is either an attempt to hid their social awkwardness, or a basic misunderstanding of the situation.
Half orcs favor the outdoors; they tend to use outdoor analogies and outdoor symbolism in their normal speech. Through extended contact with rangers they tend to fancy themselves as great hunters and warriors. They have no qualms with boasting and often exaggerate their exploits.
Half-Orcs are fiercely independent and truly enjoy the freedom they have. Their social awkwardness has given them a reputation as rude and insular.
They are often viewed in a negative light by most beings. Most people from more civilized areas see Half-Orcs as abominations and treat them with fear and hatred. While people who live near half orc villages realized this is not the case.
They despise slavery in all its forms and are known to attack and even murder slave owners.
Physical description
Tall and broad, half orcs are the fantastic physical specimens. They have thick corded muscles and fit physiques. They are well known for their formidable strength and pride themselves on it.
Most half orcs have olive skin, though lighter and darker shades are not uncommon. A few orcs have a strong green tint to their skin.
They have a strongly pronounced jaw-line and a pair of small fangs that produce out of their lower jaw. They possess dark and beady eyes and usually have large flat noses. They wear their greasy hair long, and in a variety of styles. Women tend to decorate their hair with beads.
They usually wear tanned hide, skins and furs as clothing. They fashion leggings for the men and simple dresses for women. Though the more adventurous women wear leggings either under their dresses or they fashion some kind of appropriate top. They prefer home made moccasins over just about any other kind of footwear. Most men go shirtless unless the weather is too cold for it.
A Half-Orc’s life span is about as long as a human life span. They reach maturity at about the same time as humans do. Half orcs are fully capable of breeding with other half orcs. It is possible but unlikely that a half orc can propagate with orcs and humans. They tend dislike the wild and barbaric nature of full orcs and are shunned in many human lands.
Alignment
half orcs love personal freedom, hence they tend toward chaos. But their hatred of slavery and inequality brings them into a good alignment.
Relations
Half-Orcs get along well with gnomes; this is due to the similarities in their society. They are shunned in many human lands. As always dwarves seek to make profit off of them. While elves distrust them due to their orc heritage, they are still willing to work with them.

Half orc lands
Half-Orcs tend to dislike the wild and barbaric nature of full orcs and are shunned in many human lands.
Thus they have chosen to make their home in the wild. Their villages can be found in just about every environment, though they prefer heavily wooded areas with that have an abundance of game. Their villages are small and number less than 100 adults. All half-orc villages have a loose alliance with each other. Warriors from separate villages will join forces to defeat powerful threats. They enjoy a strong hunter/gatherer lifestyle, though that doesn’t make them primitive. They have skilled artisans and craftsmen. Half-orc basket weave is considered artwork by discerning collectors.
Religion
Early on Half-Orcs have had extended contact with druids. As a result Half orcs began worshiping the nature god(s). Over time and the influence of the Great Books, spirit worship began merging into their religion. Their society has now meshed the two together to form and interesting religion, one in which they worship the spirits of their half-orc ancestors and the nature god.
Language
Half orcs speak their own language, Grush, a mishmash of common, elven,, goblin and sylvan. They are also taught how to read and write in common as well as how to speak it. They have the vocal capacity to learn other languages. Grush is not a written language. They pass their stories and history down through oral tradition.
Names
Adventures
Half orc racial traits
+2 wisdom, -2 Intelligence
Animal Affinity: half orcs enjoy nature, as a result they naturally work well with animals. they recieve the animal affinity feat free at 1st level.
Base land speed 30 feet
+2 racial bonus to climb, survival, and swim checks, Half-Orcs favor the outdoors and have a natural talent for outdoor activities.
Extraordinary recuperation a half orc regenerates lost hit points at twice the normal rate, this effect is only applied to natural healing and recovering naturally from ability loss. Half orcs naturally recover quickly from wounds.
Heritage For all effects related to race, a half-orc is considered both an orc and a human. Favored class: Ranger

iNSOMN14
2006-01-14, 07:01 PM
I liked all of your races until this one. While the others where quite an interesting take on the race and presented something completely different from what was found in the Player's Handbook, the half-orcs seem a little closer to the original material. But then again, maybe having a new, interesting orc to work with might have presented some options to the half-breed race.

TheThan
2006-01-15, 03:11 AM
Ever since I started this project I have hit some problems. The two biggest ones were the flavor text for the elves. And the other is the mechanics for the half orcs.

That problem is trying to balance the +2 strength. I couldn’t really do a minus to dexterity because I already did that with the dwarves. But if you look at the standard orc, they have only one real advantage. That’s the strength bonus. So I opted to grant them some other little things to balance the two minuses they get. Orc blood is usually a hindrance (in the off chance of it actually coming in to play), so giving the player a choice is actually cool, I mean they are half-breeds). Dark vision is nice, but really it’s nothing special. So I thought that what I did statistically is good. Despite it not being quite as unique as the others. I will have to take some time to look at balancing the +2 strength bonus differently. But right now I’m going to leave it at that. Since I have other, more pressing topics to work on.

iNSOMN14
2006-01-15, 01:44 PM
Then why have the Strenght bonus. Personally, my favorite take on orcs was the d20 Warcraft where orcs had a +2 Con bonus. There goes all that wondering on "how do we balance out the strength?"

Heck, in my own take on orcs, having them be a shamanist type culture instead of "we smash-um!" they had a +2 WIS, -2 INT and the Scent ability. Imagine those hunched over toothy guys tracking you by your scent.

HempRope
2006-01-15, 02:44 PM
Hm... both these Half-Orcs and the elves, as well, were much closer to the original PHb types. I liked about your Gnomes and Dwarves how different the cultures were from those of the traditional fantasy setting, and that each was tied to a certain climate/location.

These seem to be lacking in both those respects.

Here's my thoughts on Half-Orcs.
First, I don't like calling them Half-Orcs; I'c much prefer 'Horcs' or somesuch, but this is irrelevant. My main geivance with the race is that they are so specialized. They cannot be an effective Arcane caster with the stat adjustments as they are, and they are only ever played as Fighters, Barbarians, or occasionally Clerics or Rangers. I have been known to play them as Druids (and I would play Paladins or Monks, but I hate those classes), but bear in mind that I like Dwarf Wizards & Rogues and Gnome Warmages. Basically, I think they are too specialized. And your version, by providing the Recuperation thing, only really makes them more so.

Using your storyline for their history, I would get rid of your Recuperation thing, as I see no reason for it to exist. I would also eliminate their Darkvision, as I see no reason for them to be nocturnal or live underground. You would need to prvide something to make up for this, though, and I'm not sure what.

I'm tempted to do something wild, and say that for the purpose of determining Animal Companions or Familiars, they should be treated as having one more level in the class that grants this than they already do. Is that just too weird, or might it work?

I'd love to think of some way to eliminate the penalty to Charisma, but I haven't yet found one, and I've been thinking on it for a while.

TheThan
2006-01-15, 03:59 PM
I was planning on continuing the climate theme. But I had to put this on project on hold so I could work on more immediate projects. So I think I kind of lost track of the theme. That’s something I’m going to have to work on. I have some ideas for continuing it, so I will reintroduce it.

I was trying to give the half orcs a more Native American feel. While keeping with the fantasy setting. But I like the idea of a bonus to wisdom. It does seem to fit with a hunter. I could give them a bonus to wisdom and a minus to intelligence, and then they could at least have the opportunity to become arcane casters as well. The minus to Int really only bars them from being wizards. So when you take into account the history I already made, they are going to not trust wizards at all. As far as the darkvision, I looked at it as a hold over from their orc parentage. Though I have some ideas on that too.

That way I don’t have to do too much work to bring the current background back in line. As far as the flavor text I should probably work more on that. You’ve all have given me some very interesting things to think about.

Half orc racial traits take too
+2 wisdom, -2 Intelligence
Animal Affinity: half orcs enjoy nature, as a result they naturally work well with animals. they recieve the animal affinity feat free at 1st level.
Base land speed 30 feet
+2 racial bonus to climb, survival, and swim checks, Half-Orcs favor the outdoors and have a natural talent for outdoor activities.
Extraordinary recuperation a half orc regenerates lost hit points at twice the normal rate, this effect is only applied to natural healing and recovering naturally from ability loss. Half orcs naturally recover quickly from wounds.
Heritage upon character creation, a player chooses a specific heritage. They are Orc blood, or Human blood. For all effects related to race, a half-orc is considered either orc or human, depending on which heritage is chosen.
Favored class: Ranger

Seffbasilisk
2006-01-15, 05:24 PM
Talk to Fuzzball (the Vorpal Tribble). He has a really cool outlook on 1/2 orcs.

The_Werebear
2006-01-15, 09:15 PM
I would give them scent and change Heritage to meaning they count as both types. It is actually a disadvantage, as was mentioned, and I think it balances scent's tracking without tracks.