PDA

View Full Version : D&D Sponsorships.

Mr. Mud
2009-06-30, 05:31 PM
So, recently, my group (for the most part) and I were walking around Annapolis Downtown (my hometown, and we popped into a little store called Capital Comics (http://www.capitalcomicsmd.com/)*) which is predominately, as the title states, a comic store, but it also has a few Roleplaying books, and some trading cards. They're ushering in a new section (or maybe new branch) of D&D, and they thought having a group outside of the store, would be good publicity.

Basically, they sponsored us.
That means we get everything we need/want/desire/ask for from them, and we get a discount--Not to mention arse loads of gaming space and wisdom for the gamer that co-owns the place. In addition, they give us coupons to hand out, and tee shirts, and if a dozen or so coupons are brought in, thus more profit, we get paid $150! That's roughly $15 to give a friend a discount!

Mr. Mud, officially, gets paid to play D&D :smallbiggrin:.
So, has anyone else gotten a sponsorship to the D&D, or anything like the deal I have? Is this common? Hit your local gaming stores now :smalltongue:.

*Yeah, the store site isn't going to mean anything to most of you, but hey, if they're sponsoring my group, why not give them some hits and stuff :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2009-06-30, 05:41 PM
That is freakin awesome, and really clever on their part. Do you guys have a conveniently located university to plunder? That would be a great place to look into, especially since you could get sanctioned as a "student organization" and recruit openly. Then, when people come seeking to mingle with fellow gamers, you hand out coupons and flyers and try to organize regular game days.

Also, check out the RPGA (www.rpga.com) and take the Herald level test. Its super easy. Once you do that, you can organize sanctioned RPGA play which includes downloading FREE adventures to run and everything. Run the games at the gaming store, or the university, whichever has the capacity you need. The RPGA will love you (free stuff), your FLGS will love you (free stuff), and you'll be getting paid to play and recruit (FREE STUFF). From there, its just a short step to convention organization!

So yea...how far do you wanna take this?

mikeejimbo
2009-06-30, 06:09 PM
That is extremely awesome. Unfortunately my FLGS ain't so F.

ghost_warlock
2009-06-30, 09:34 PM
Though I've heard of this sort of thing, none of my groups have ever been sponsored (although one was featured in a front-page newspaper article about gaming as an alternative to drugs, sex, and gang violence for teens :smalltongue:).

Anyway, have fun on your expedition to Xen'drik! :smallbiggrin:

SilverSheriff
2009-07-01, 01:12 AM
(although one was featured in a front-page newspaper article about gaming as an alternative to drugs, sex, and gang violence for teens :smalltongue:).

Meh... at least most gamers get Hot Girlfriends and/or Wives when they hit the adult years: WORTH IT!:smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

BobVosh
2009-07-01, 02:25 AM
A store I worked at did this. For various games, the only real rule is it had to be a game that the store ran. It only paid the DMs, and it allowed the dm to buy at cost for materials needed.

Worked pretty well.

Mr. Mud
2009-07-01, 08:59 AM
Yup, it's all really exciting... I'm already a sponsored skimboarder :smalltongue:. So now, I can surf, and cut hobos in half; BOTH FOR MONEY :smallbiggrin:. But yeah... I don't really want to exploit the coupon thing... even though if that's what they want me to do. It'd seem like it'd be turning D&D into a job, rather than a game. Which is good and bad I guess.

Duke of URL
2009-07-01, 09:49 AM
But yeah... I don't really want to exploit the coupon thing... even though if that's what they want me to do.

It's not exploiting, it's win-win -- the store gets more sales, you get a commission for driving those sales, and as an added bonus, possibly a more active RP community in your area for games. (Which helps you as a player and the store as a business.) It's what sponsorship is all about.

Unless you're forcing people to use the coupons at gun- or knife-point, I don't see an ethical issue here.

Mr. Mud
2009-07-01, 09:56 AM
It's not exploiting, it's win-win -- the store gets more sales, you get a commission for driving those sales, and as an added bonus, possibly a more active RP community in your area for games. (Which helps you as a player and the store as a business.) It's what sponsorship is all about.

Unless you're forcing people to use the coupons at gun- or knife-point, I don't see an ethical issue here.

True. True. I guess if the store gets more sales, then it's fin in my book. I'd rather have another branch of the store - that I could work at - rather than $25 bucks every now and again...

I also see, you're location is Maryland :smalltongue:. Anywhere close to Annapolis, perhaps?

Keld Denar
2009-07-01, 10:09 AM
I interviewed with a company in Cambridge, MD, but I didn't think I could comfortably live in the area on $40,000 a year, so I opted for a job in Boston for a more comfortable wage instead. Too bad, Cambridge isn't very far from Annapolis.

PS, if you ever find yourself on the campus of the naval acadamy, check out the Jewish chapel. There is a really neat piece of art on the ceiling there, that the company I interviewed with makes. Woven pounded wire meshing. Looks really neat.

Anyway, back on topic, did you check out the RPGA yet? Sanctioned gaming is a blast, especially if you travel at all or have the opportunity to attend any of the major conventions like Gencon or Origins or the DDXP (which is not far from you in Wash DC).

Duke of URL
2009-07-01, 10:39 AM
I also see, you're location is Maryland :smalltongue:. Anywhere close to Annapolis, perhaps?

Nope, other side of the state -- Germantown (Montgomery Co.)

Mr. Mud
2009-07-01, 10:41 AM
I interviewed with a company in Cambridge, MD, but I didn't think I could comfortably live in the area on $40,000 a year, so I opted for a job in Boston for a more comfortable wage instead. Too bad, Cambridge isn't very far from Annapolis.

PS, if you ever find yourself on the campus of the naval acadamy, check out the Jewish chapel. There is a really neat piece of art on the ceiling there, that the company I interviewed with makes. Woven pounded wire meshing. Looks really neat.

Anyway, back on topic, did you check out the RPGA yet? Sanctioned gaming is a blast, especially if you travel at all or have the opportunity to attend any of the major conventions like Gencon or Origins or the DDXP (which is not far from you in Wash DC).

Actaully, I'm usually hanging around the naval academy... it's a major part of my life

And due to schedule clashing with free time one interwebz, I haven't yet... I will like... now. :smalltongue:.

EDIT: So, I was browsing the website and it's really unclear on how to register? Can I do so online?

only1doug
2009-07-01, 02:33 PM
I got given 2 free books by Hogshead Publishing (1/year) when I helped out at a convention.

Otherwise no.